Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 07:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I think my TH2G died
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 04:23 

PROBLEM: With TH2G connected I only get black screens. Cannot even see the boot screen before Windows loads.

TH2G worked fine for over 1 year in triple widescreen. Recently I had to use the TH2G at 3360x1050 with only 2 monitors connected. This worked fine for a week or two. My computer is normally left running. A few days ago I noticed that only one of the screens was working. At some point in the process of trying to figure out what was wrong I rebooted the computer. When the PC rebooted I had no screens working. When I disconnect the TH2G and connect any monitor directly to the PC it works. So now I can only see a screen when I eliminate the TH2G. I noticed that in Windows Display Settings the dual resolution (3360x1050) was now missing as a choice but 5040x1050 was still there. The light on TH2G is always red and flashes sometimes.

Things I've done:
(1) Disconnected/reconnected the TH2G including USB cable.
(2) Reinstalled my Nvidia drivers ver 178. (old, but they worked) Now I have no triple screens resolutions available.
(3) Uninstalled/reinstalled Matrox software. (Without having it plugged in because I can't see the screen.)

Contacted Matrox via their website tech support "email". 3 days later no response.

Post subject: Re: I think my TH2G died
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 12:29 
Editors
Editors

K try to do this :

1- Connect one monitor to the PC. Keep the matrox adapter completely disconnected from your PC (video and USB).
2- Uninstall the Matrox Powerdesk.
3- Uninstall your video drivers. Reboot.
4- Run Driver Sweeper (youll find it at guru3d.com) and delete all foders, files and entries related to Nvidia GFX and PhysX. Reboot.
5- Install the Nvidia driver of your preference (195.62 here, runs prefectly fine at 5040x1050). Reboot.
6- Connect only the USB cable of the matrox adapter to the PC and run a firmware update, even if you have already done that before(latest file, i think its v2.3.40.t6.56, youll find it at matrox website).
7- Reboot when asked.
8- After logging in, turn off the PC, only then connect the two monitors to the matrox adapter (and the matrox to the your GPU, keeping the USB connected) and turn on the PC.
9- Install the latest matrox powerdesk.

I had a similar problem yesterday (but running 3 monitors) and that fixed for me. :rockout

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 23:26 

thales,

Thanks for the reply. I was very hopeful but it didn't work out. I used MtxGMXUtilities and chose the "update" option. I selected the THD_v2.3.40.t6.56.pkg. It reports "Invalid package for current product". Also tried THV2_v2.3.40.t56.pkg and THDE_v2.3.40.t6.52.pkg. Same results. It's curious to me that the light is red on the TH2G. Should it be green or something? When I plugged in the USB connector Windows "found new hardware". Should I have let the Windows install routine run? I think the PC sees the TH2G because the MtxGMXUtilities Window reports info about the TH2G... firmware 2.03.040 and EEPROM table 9.00.

BTW, I could not get Driver Sweeper to work either (it "fails to initialize") but I installed the 195.62 anyway. I will pursue that later. There are 2 versions of Driver Sweeper. I tried them both. Will the old Detonator Destroyer still work? I've used that successfully in the past.

:( Rick

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 23:35 
Editors
Editors

thales,

Thanks for the reply. I was very hopeful but it didn't work out. I used MtxGMXUtilities and chose the "update" option. I selected the THD_v2.3.40.t6.56.pkg. It reports "Invalid package for current product". Also tried THV2_v2.3.40.t56.pkg and THDE_v2.3.40.t6.52.pkg. Same results.

Mmm no m8, you should try to download the firmware from matrox site (its a 590 Kb file) and then execute the file in your PC, with Matrox adapter connected only by the USB port. Thats the most important part i guess, after installing it , reboot.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 23:42 

Sorry, I misunderstood. So hope remains. I'm off to the Matrox site!

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 00:08 

Well, from here

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/gxm/software/

I see the download link "THD FU Dec2009" described as "Firmware Utility for TripleHead2Go Digital Edition". That link opens a page to download "THD_v2.3.40.t6.56.exe" which is 587KB self-extracting zip and is one of the attempts I mentioned above. It opens the "Matrox GXM Firmware Utility" window where I selected "Update your Matrox hardware". I then select "THD_v2.3.40.t56.pkg" (it steered me to it) and get the "Invalid package for current product" notice.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 01:37 
Editors
Editors

Well, from here

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/gxm/software/

I see the download link "THD FU Dec2009" described as "Firmware Utility for TripleHead2Go Digital Edition". That link opens a page to download "THD_v2.3.40.t6.56.exe" which is 587KB self-extracting zip and is one of the attempts I mentioned above. It opens the "Matrox GXM Firmware Utility" window where I selected "Update your Matrox hardware". I then select "THD_v2.3.40.t56.pkg" (it steered me to it) and get the "Invalid package for current product" notice.

Ok (just to check, the matrox is connected to your PC when you try to update the firmware by the USB cable and its recognized by windows as a new hardware), bad news then, as you posted you may have a damaged adapter, since the firmware utility doesnt recognize it.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 01:52 

I think your right. It's a pretty good indicator something is major wrong with the hardware. Thanks for the effort.

So how have people fared in dealing with Matrox for a warranty replacement? They haven't exactly jumped on my online request for help.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 02:07 
Editors
Editors

I think your right. It's a pretty good indicator something is major wrong with the hardware. Thanks for the effort.

So how have people fared in dealing with Matrox for a warranty replacement? They haven't exactly jumped on my online request for help.

Where did you buy it ? Maybe you should first contact the dealer for technical support.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 03:46 

Newegg, Oct 08. Their replacement warranty is 1 year but Matrox has a 2 year warranty so I should be covered.