Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 07:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010, 17:32 

Hey guys, new to the forums here, hope I'm posting this in the right forum as this involves quiet a few pieces of hardware.

I might have started clicking "Order" too fast, before doing research. Now that I have time to read I am finding I might have not read enough.

The Setup:
Monitors: 2x Samsung 22" 226BW's(left & right), 1x Samsung 22" 2233RZ(Center)
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 260, dual DVI
Expansion Module: Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital

My Overall Goal: Use my 3x 22" Monitors to play World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King.

My Ideas....

1. Play across all screens in normal 2d mode with 1 big 5040x1050. I assume this is straight forward plug n play.
2. Play 3D on middle monitor having it's own resolution(each monitor would have it's own resolution), the game being windowed/maximized mode, allowing the 226BW on either side to but used for other things.
3. Play across all screens, having 3D in the middle and 2d on each side monitor.

Stipulations: I do NOT have an SLI capable motherboard to simply buy another Nvidia 260 and then be able to run without the TH2Go.

My Questions:

Can you get any of my above 3 Ideas to work?
Is the 3d on the monitor not going to work due to the TH2G not being able to support 120Hz?

I have seen alot of cross talk about the Nvidia 3D kit and the 3D Vision red and blue glasses. I have the Kit with clear lenses.

Your help is appreciated. Hopefully I can help contribute to future questions as I am an IT consultant, I just don't have all of the hardware delivered yet to test my ideas. I am a little hesitant to open the boxes in fear I might have to return something due to this setup not working.

TYIA

Bewst

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010, 22:05 
Insiders
Insiders

1. Play across all screens in normal 2d mode with 1 big 5040x1050. I assume this is straight forward plug n play.

This'll work just fine, yep.
2. Play 3D on middle monitor having it's own resolution(each monitor would have it's own resolution), the game being windowed/maximized mode, allowing the 226BW on either side to but used for other things.

Nope, sorry, but you could do this if you were using the iZ3D driver and using anaglyph (blue and red) 3D.
3. Play across all screens, having 3D in the middle and 2d on each side monitor.

Nope. This is a single large surface technology.

Suggestions,
1. if you want 3D and you want it now and free, look up iZ3D and pick up a pair of anaglyph glasses.
2. Get a new motherboard, another Card, 2 other 3D monitors of the same type as the one you have, and wait for drivers. Sell the two other monitors and the TH2Go.
3. Connect the 3D monitor to a free port on the card and use 1 screen 3D, but you cant do surround at the same time.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010, 22:11 

Well I appreciate the reply but it seems I have ran into some issues...

Dell neglected to tell me the Monitor was Backordered, so the monitor has been cancelled.

So now I have no monitor, useless 3D glasses, useless TH2G.

Soooo frusterated with Dell.

So now I am thinking stay with 2 monitors and not TH2G, 1 monitor being the "primary" 3d monitor and the "Secondary" monitor being the 2d monitor. OR..... use the TH2G and try to find a 3rd 226BW and skip 3D all together and return the glasses.

I guess it's either 3D or 3 monitors, up to me to decide...

I think I'm gonna go with the 3 monitors, no 3D and try to find a no-longer-made Samsung 226BW
lol

Appreciate the response.

Bewst

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010, 22:51 

I posted a reply, not sure what happened to it. Edit (scavv): the mod team must approve your first couple posts before they become visible ;)
Anyways....just 1 question

My Nvidia GTX 260 has 2x DVI ports

Couldnt I use 1 DVI port for any 3D monitor I want and use the 2nd DVI port for a TH2Go 3x monitor setup?

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 14:56 

The monitors have been ordered :-D

Decided to get 3x Asus VW224U's 22" 2ms Monitors.

Looks like that headache is over, now to start on a case cutting mod/bexel trim for near seemeless LCD panels, anyone ever attempt that themselves? I'm interested in doing it....the right way though.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 18:42 
Editors
Editors

now to start on a case cutting mod/bexel trim for near seemeless LCD panels, anyone ever attempt that themselves? I'm interested in doing it....the right way though.

There are some pics here :

http://www.mikevanelst.com/monitorproject/

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 23:22 

Thanks for the reply Thales, I will look into it.

Also glad to say I ordered my Ergotech Triple Monitor Stand today, thank you WSFG and Mounted Concepts for the discount and great review to help me make that decision! :bowdown:

Later
bewst