Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 22:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2009, 18:56 

Hello,

I have a question about multi-heading. I have a Powercolor 3870x2 gddr4 with 3 dvi outputs so is my question how i can use may two or three monitors in a game. They worked at Windows with the following resolution:1280x1024@60hz. At World in Conflict I can play with two monitors, because in the grafics options is a dual screen mode. But what is with other games. I know that i can scratch games if they windowed with ultra mon but that didn´t looks so good.Also can anybody help me? And sorry for my realy realy bad englsih.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2009, 19:20 
Insiders
Insiders

There is a way to do it without a TH2GO box, it is called SoftTH. Basically its a software version of the TH2GO (its also free). I'm not sure if it will work when you're using one card with three ports though. I have only heard of instances where its used in setups using two cards. Also keep in mind that while SoftTH may be free, your frames per second in game will take a noticable hit.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2009, 20:27 

Thanks for your fast answer. I will check it out in the next minutes. And with the fps that not a so big prblem its a 3870X2 not a normal. At World in Conflict I have all on the highest option and 4x AA by 2560x1024 allways 30 fps, cause Limiter so it must be work :P

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2009, 20:42 
Insiders
Insiders

There is also some configuration involved for each game with SoftTH. I haven't taken an in depth look at it, but it seems fairly involved.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2009, 17:39 

I like SoftTH so much I sold my TripleHead2Go (granted it was the analog version). TripleHead2Go doesn't support three 1680x1050 monitors at 60Hz, and SoftTH does.

You do have to put in a second video card but it can be a piece of crud (8400GS, for example).

The drawbacks are that it does take tweaking a configuration file to make it work, it doesn't support every game (neither does the TH2Go) and it doesn't support DX10 (yet).

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2009, 06:34 

I like SoftTH so much I sold my TripleHead2Go (granted it was the analog version). TripleHead2Go doesn't support three 1680x1050 monitors at 60Hz, and SoftTH does.

You do have to put in a second video card but it can be a piece of crud (8400GS, for example).

The drawbacks are that it does take tweaking a configuration file to make it work, it doesn't support every game (neither does the TH2Go) and it doesn't support DX10 (yet).

you forgot to mention that:

- it is only 16 bit color
- doesn't support SLI or Crossfire
- takes a big performance hit. in 3D fps games
- lag on the L and R screen by 0.3 seconds. making FPS games unplayable and "looks/feel wierd".
- takes up an extra expansion slot.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2009, 09:10 

haven't looked at the config file yet huh?
3 cards, 2 in sli + third crapper works.
th2g doesn't?
- lag on the L and R screen by 0.3 seconds. making FPS games unplayable and "looks/feel wierd".
your eyes aren't superhuman, and your peripheral vision doesn't exceed the norms.
now you're just being picky.

I don't personally like softth, but I hate people that create false arguments.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2009, 01:01 

Thanks mesh, you said it all.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2009, 11:55 

haven't looked at the config file yet huh?
3 cards, 2 in sli + third crapper works.
th2g doesn't?
your eyes aren't superhuman, and your peripheral vision doesn't exceed the norms.
now you're just being picky.

- SLI/CF in softth just ´works´, but performance is worst than with only one gpu. One working gpu + a cheap one alone will give more frames than two of the same in sli + a cheap one.
- Softth takes a considerable performance hit above the th2go hit, because th2go hit is only about resolution and fov, but softth takes also pcie bandwidth hit and cpu hit. Left/Right mons can be put in 16bits color (and lower resolution) to minimize this additional hit, but still it exists.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2009, 17:55 

- SLI/CF in softth just ´works´, but performance is worst than with only one gpu. One working gpu + a cheap one alone will give more frames than two of the same in sli + a cheap one.
- Softth takes a considerable performance hit above the th2go hit, because th2go hit is only about resolution and fov, but softth takes also pcie bandwidth hit and cpu hit. Left/Right mons can be put in 16bits color (and lower resolution) to minimize this additional hit, but still it exists.

Is it really worse? I've tried both, didn't notice much difference.

As far as the performance hit, it runs great on my rig. Whatever hit I'm experiening isn't worth a $300 box to fix.