Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 09 Jul 2024, 01:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2008, 23:36 

Hello everyone,

Was wondering if anyone has gotten the new TH2G modes to work with any of the nvidia drivers beyond 175.19. I get significant perfermance gains with the newer series, however, for some strange reason the two new widescreen modes will not show up. I've tried 177.73, and 177.79- allows old modes only, and rolling back to 175.19- enables the new choices again.

Now I know these are beta drivers, but the 177.79's are whql candidates and will likely be the next official drivers, which will almost certainly not change in their final release. Obviously the new modes require a little more horsepower, so adding those to a slower driver is not an ideal solution, neither is keeping what will eventually be an old driver forever to play on my TH2G. For now, I'm using the new drivers with the old resolutions, but I'm dying to play in 1680x1050x3 at decent frame rates. Any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 00:10 

This is great to hear for me. Maybe if I roll back to an older driver I'll be able to get the new modes on my ATI 4870. Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 00:17 

Didn't someone else mention some modes didn't show up when the monitors had the auto-detected / pnp drivers and were fine one you got those from the manufacturer? (LG or so I think it was mentionned that time)

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 02:19 

Didn't someone else mention some modes didn't show up when the monitors had the auto-detected / pnp drivers and were fine one you got those from the manufacturer? (LG or so I think it was mentionned that time)

My monitor in windows just shows up as "Matrox Digital TripleHead2Go". I installed the drivers for my Dell E198WFP, but the new resolutions still didn't show up. I'm working with Matrox support on the issue, but it is very frustrating because they are only open Monday to Friday, 9 to 5 and I'm at work during those times. So they ask me to check something, I go home and check it, then the next day they reply, etc. It's been 3 days or so and I haven't gotten anywhere.

I've found some registry keys that appear to control the monitor resolutions/work spaces for the gxm software, so I'm going to experiment with those and see if I can figure this out myself.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 03:28 

You could always fetch something like rivatuner or powerstrip and add the resolutions manually if the drivers themselves don't let you add it. Don't know if it'll work but worth a try.

As for drivers I've never installed monitor specific drivers myself, it's always been 'generic pnp monitor' or whatever.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 09:20 

I even tried taking sections from the nv_disp.inf file that specified resolutions, from the drivers that were working with the new modes, and pasted them over the corresponding sections on the non-working drivers. Installed and run fine, but no dice on the new resolutions.

Maybe there's some code in the GXM program that looks for info in the drivers and if yours do not match a certain variable, exactly, the modes are not selectable.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 02:24 
Insiders
Insiders

Have you guys already tried overriding the resolution by force?

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 05:06 

Have you guys already tried overriding the resolution by force?

Tell me how and I'll gladly try.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 08:14 
Insiders
Insiders

Custom resolutions (Nvidia instructions):

http://www.nvidia.com/object/custom_resolutions.html

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 10:20 

Custom resolutions (Nvidia instructions):

http://www.nvidia.com/object/custom_resolutions.html

I have an ATI HD 4870 :(