Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 10:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 08:09 

Triple widescreens are a new option. Should one go for a triple wide or a triple standard setup?

That is, should one go for triple standard with aspect ratios/pixels like
* {[15:4] (3.75) - > 3840 X 1024 = 3 X (1280 x 1024) [5:4] (1.25) = 3,932,160 pixels}
* {[16:4] (4) -> 3072 x 768 = 3 X (1024 X 768) [4:3] (1.33...) = 2,359,296 pixels}

Or triple widescreen like:
* {[24:5] (4.8) -> 5,040 X 1050 = 3 x (1680 x 1050) [16:10] (1.6) = 5,292,000 pixels}

To settle this question one needs to know.
* Is the performance hit of triple wide too much?
* Does the video card and drivers you have support triple wide?
* Does the game you want to play support triple wide?

These issues are covered elsewhere.

The peformance aspect of triple wide is covered, for example, in Ibrin's Surround game benchmarking for the 9800GX2, Widescreen and Surround Benchmarking Suite. A further performance discussion is found in the forum topic DTH2Go, GTX260 and HD4870

What about, though, of the usability of triple wide? Are there times when you find that triple wide is too wide? For example, when using your rig for general office work?

Wumzi reported in DTH2Go, GTX260 and HD4870 ...

I never went to triple standard. I jumped from a single 22" widescreen on my old PC to triple widescreen on the new PC. If I'm not gaming on all 3 screens, then yes, at times it does feel too wide. I literally have to turn my head left and right to see things. For example if someone logs on Messenger, the pop up shows up all the way in the bottom right corner. I used to be able to just glance at that corner with one screen, now I have to turn and look at it. But it just takes some getting used to. I can have a movie playing on one screen, internet on one, and work stuff on the other, and that's worth it I think. Plus the immersion you get in games is amazing.

Do you guys with new triple wide setups have a similar experience? Do you sometimes feel like you'd prefer triple standard?

Is it, perhaps, less an issue of aspect ratios and more an issue of the width of the monitors? Eg Three 20" monitors don't require too much head turning, three 22" do?

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 09:35 
Editors
Editors

I find most games I want to play work in TH ... those that don't soon do after having a chat with Racer_S or dopefish ... :mrgreen: ... gotta love those guys !

Having triple wide enables you to play games in widescreen if they don't do TH ... for me this is the main reason for going triplewide.
There is no way I would want to play any game in single square screen.
After saying that ... since having triple wide I haven't played any games in single screen (widescreen).

At the moment Vista seems to be a big problem for games and triple 1680x1050 ... I use XP.

I thought that triple wide 24" screens would be too wide as you do have to look left and right a bit especially when using windows applications ...
In games this is not so big an issue unless the games HUD is way out there on the sides and you like to refer to the HUD frequently (I do not) ...
After 5 mins I am used to any looking left and right (approx 62 inches wide) and I wouldn't like to go back.

There is a performance hit ... there must be but I would imagine it is different on each system depending on hardware etc.
It is worth remembering also that whilst hardware improves to run better and better graphics with higher resolutions etc. ... newer games also generally get more demanding of the hardware and so top end resolutions such as 5040x1050 are always going to be a struggle for many systems.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 10:49 

Thanking you kindly Paddy the wak.

Having triple wide enables you to play games in widescreen if they don't do TH ... for me this is the main reason for going triplewide.

This underscores that matrox would do well to allow different resolutions connected to the one Triple Head. If it where possible I might go for a centre widescreen 24" and 19" standard sides.

Good to know that game issues are not too big of a deal (with workarounds from friends).

I'm scared of Vista too, despite some positive experience from wumzi.

Three 24" monitors totaling 62" (154 cm) wide. F_ck me. That is wide.

This issue is probably going to rest, finally, on personal preferences. I'm a widescreen virgin. I'm not sure I'm ready for 3 X 24" :)

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 16:33 
Founder
Founder

Three 24" monitors totaling 62" (154 cm) wide. F_ck me. That is wide.

My 3x 22" are 60" measuring inside the "outside" bezels." Check out some video here - http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/videos

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 17:19 

What about, though, of the usability of triple wide? Are there times when you find that triple wide is too wide? For example, when using your rig for general office work?

Wumzi reported in DTH2Go, GTX260 and HD4870 ...

[quote]I never went to triple standard. I jumped from a single 22" widescreen on my old PC to triple widescreen on the new PC. If I'm not gaming on all 3 screens, then yes, at times it does feel too wide. I literally have to turn my head left and right to see things. For example if someone logs on Messenger, the pop up shows up all the way in the bottom right corner. I used to be able to just glance at that corner with one screen, now I have to turn and look at it. But it just takes some getting used to. I can have a movie playing on one screen, internet on one, and work stuff on the other, and that's worth it I think. Plus the immersion you get in games is amazing.

Do you guys with new triple wide setups have a similar experience? Do you sometimes feel like you'd prefer triple standard?I have three 21" CRTs that I run at 3072x768. This is a "triple standard" setup and I still have to turn my head dramatically to work on the left and right screens. With a second video card, dual-input monitors, and Ultramon, I have a productive 2D workspace, though, so it's not a big deal. I think if you have any three large monitors you are going to have to turn your head considerably, whether or not they are widescreen. I'm used to it and don't mind at all.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 19:50 

I just switched from three 17" 1280x1024 monitors to three 22" 1680x1050 monitors. I definitely have to turn my head farther, but I'm changing things a little by moving the monitors farther back - that is, I'm sitting probably 6" farther away from the center monitor.

Also, the angle of your monitors is going to have an impact. I think (although not certain) that I have the widescreens angled farther in. After I got them where they are comfortable, I measured and they're almost exactly at 40 degrees.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 21:39 

I used to have 3 19" LCD @ 3840X1024. And just recently switched the LCD's to 3 22". The only other hardware change was from analog TH2go to Digital Th2go. I have seen a performance hit in my games. BUt they are all still VERY playable. Some of them are newer games that require alot and I have had to turn down the eye candy a little bit. But it is still AWSOME!!! Oh wait that would be AWWWWWSSSSOME! :lol:

My wife is running two vid cards, Ultramon, and two 19" outside of a 22" LCD. Does she have monitor envy? Just a little bit.

The diffrences are mainly space, and of course application. She does not game and wouldnt mind the extra space of 3ea 22". BUt it would be at a sacrifice of her real estate in her office. Which there really isnt much of anymore... :shock:

Iam glad I went TriplewideWide and will never go back. I hope that funds will soon allow me to upgrade my puter to get back to highest settings newer games are offering. For now, Iam very pleased with results. Iam even now going back to search for fixes for older games and having a good time in these forums.

My wife and stepson give me a bad time about my arm getting tired with my mouse, (they both use track balls). I LOVE my setup ALOT!!!!

These forums are a must for someone like me. And I give thanks for the guys coming up with all the fixes and sharing of their knowledge.

If you can afford it and have the space, go for it! You wont be dissapointed.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 22:36 

My wife and stepson give me a bad time about my arm getting tired with my mouse, (they both use track balls). I LOVE my setup ALOT!!!!

I have been trackball guy for a very long time. I have a Microsoft Optical Trackball (and a spare in the closet, since they're not made anymore, and getting harder to find, sigh.) My biggest complaint was that there aren't enough buttons on the trackball - there's room for a lot more than the 5 it has. I found the perfect solution tho...

This is an Ergodex DX1 - it's a keyboard that lets you place the keys anywhere you want. Essentially, my trackball now has as many buttons as I could want - it comes with 25 buttons and you can get 25 more.

Not a cheap solution, but then, I AM posting to the triple monitor crowd here... :)

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2008, 03:02 

I love your Ergodex Dx-1!! That thing is pretty awsome.... :shock:
I used to have track ball, and liked it. But I do really like my G5 logitech mouse too.
Thanks for the pic, another idea for people to play with....lol :D

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2008, 08:26 

Thanks to all for the responses so far.

@Ibrin. Thanks for the link to the videos. However, unless I'm missing something the videos don't give me much sense of the physical dimensions of the surround image. I do, however, get a little more from the photos of your 3 X 19" and 3X22". Sorry to read of your warranty saga.

@JKeefe.
With a second video card, dual-input monitors, and Ultramon, I have a productive 2D workspace

Do you use TH2Go at all? If so do you switch between using TH2Go and the above native setup?

@bsoder. Thanks for the tips on angling. Ergodex DX1 looks cool.

@garcol.

I used to have 3 19" LCD @ 3840X1024. And just recently switched the LCD's to 3 22" .... [I am] glad I went TriplewideWide and will never go back.

I note your wife's config and that she envious your setup a bit even though she uses her rig for non gaming purposes? Do you use your triplewide setup for general purposes too? If so, no regrets there?

@all.

At the moment I'm more convinced that if there is any usability issue it is down to the sheer size of the monitors rather than aspect ratio. Performance hits are a separate issue and thankfully not too much of a big deal with the right gear. I'm torn, mainly, between 20" and 22".

In terms of gaming I suspect, in part from your comments, triple wide is the easy choice. You get immersion from having as much of your peripheral vision covered. In general, you don't need to turn your head too much here.

I continue to pop my head into shops to look at various sized monitors. The issue is ultimately a matter personal preference which no amount of talking is going to definitively settle.

However, if there are others who have experience with triple standard and/or triple wide, especially in using non game apps for general use, then your further comments on usability would still be appreciated :)