Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 21 Jul 2024, 20:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Overclocking GTX260
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2008, 22:34 

So i have a regular 192core GTX260 which turns out to be a great overclocking card. I decided to use the EVGA Precision which is basically RivaTuner. I was able to run 666/1436/1099 without going over 75c. I was wondering if anyone has any experience using this utility? My questions is what is the relation between the Core Clock speed and the Memory clock. Do they have to be Overclocked within the same ratio? I can OC the shit out of the Core Clock but once i start upping the Memory Clock i start getting an error when i press Test that says "The driver failed clock testing. Applying these settings is no recommended and my reduce system stability."(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/DigChaos/OCerror.jpg) Should i not mess with the memory clock? Is this error just an error that is meant to mean i might start seeing artifacts? Or a more serious warning?

I realize this isn't an overclocking forum but you guys seem very knowledgeable :)

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2008, 23:42 

Not really a surround issue, so weird choice choice of subforum too...but no, you don't have to maintain any ratio between the GPU and memory clocks. As for whether it's worth it, that depends on what you're playing...for most games a 260 is overkill, though if you're pushing surround resolutions then the overclock is probably beneficial with more intensive games like Crysis/GRID.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2008, 07:18 

Surround Hardware & Tech Support
Help in picking TH2Go hardware, and help setting it all up.

Its a stretch but there's my justification lol. So no one uses EVGA's Precision? I'm only scoring 12621 on 3dbenchmark overclocked @ 643/1386/1099 any suggestions on increasing that score? What do you guys think another gtx260 SLI would do for me? About how much do you think it would increase the score?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2008, 12:39 

I'm just using nVidias Performance Tweaking and Monitor tools. Allows me to overclock mine only when I load up Crysis. Other than that it sits at clock speeds.