Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 12:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 21:50 

This is my current rig:

MSI X85 Pro
i7 920
6g Corsair Dominator
4850x2 (4 DVI out)
Vista64 HP

I bought/built this machine to be a cheap workstation for my classwork. I am an Elec. Eng. major and do a lot of CAD work and will be stepping into grad school soon and wanted the ability to work across 4 monitors once I start my design projects/research.

That being said, someone mentioned to me that I might want to look into surround gaming for when I am done working for the day.

Currently, I am running 2 19" panels as I haven't decided which 24"s I want to go with. I would like to end up with 3 24"s and one 19".

Ok, so, am I out of my mind? Will the software version of TH work on 3 24" panels out of my 4850x2? If not, what could it do? I am willing to step down to 22"s, or even stick with 4 19"s if it gives me more options.

Usual games:
TF2
HL2
CSS
GuildWars
WoW
Supreme Commander
CC:RA series
AoE3
and the list goes on. I can understand if some of these won't work, and am ok with that, but if some can be made to work it would be so sweet...

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2009, 08:20 

normally softth needs 2 cards

so u'll need another crappy card for it to work (doesn't amtter how crappy it is)

soft th will be annoying as the games require tweaking to get it to work + u lose some frames.

with ur 4 dvi ports not sure if it will work... ur better off asking in the offical softh forums

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2009, 08:58 

Well, the 4850x2 is technically 2 cards....

Thanks for that suggestion, maybe a mod can move this thread there?

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2009, 14:36 

I can vouch that TF2 and HL2 works a charm on three monitors using SoftTH.

SoftTH doesn't work with WoW anymore since a patch a few months ago. SoftTH does work with Warhammer Online, Lord of the Rings Online, and Dungeons and Dragons Online, if you are willing to look into other MMOs.

Post subject: rply
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2009, 15:41 

There's only one way to go, get the Matrox Triplehead2go if you want 3 or 4 monitors.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2009, 23:46 

Well, I don't play WoW, but my gf does, so that was more for her then me. I tend to stick to RPG's, RTS's, and the shooters.

Good to know that the games work well, i figured they would. I guess my question is more like, are my system specs good enough, can softTH push to 3 24" panels at their native resolutions, and can my x2 card do this by itself, or will I need to get a second card?

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2009, 01:05 
Editors
Editors

If you're going for the superwide resolutions on TH2GO (5040x1050) then you'll need an nVidia card. Otherwise the 4850x2 should be alright for anything less.

To use softTH you'll NEED a second card. This is for the DVI outputs rather than the rendering power.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam