Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Oct 2024, 07:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2008, 16:57 

anyone tried the TH2Go Digital in Linux. I've googled and found lots of instances where the Analog edition worked in Linux, but wanted to make sure there's nothing special I need to know about the Digital version.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2008, 05:59 
Insiders
Insiders

I do not know but there is no reason it shouldn't work. But even with XP and Vista we have a lot of config fiddling and errors so it would be a risk, especially if you intend to use triple wide. I know next to nothing about linux and n some ways it maybe easier as you have more direct access to the inner workings.

Anyway good luck getting it working and getting wine (or whatever) working in TH res! Drop us a line if you do try it :)

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2008, 05:42 

If the analog version works then the digital one should too. The only thing you'd be missing is the software - but then I run mine without that anyway (though under XP)

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2008, 20:19 

I can confirm that it does work...Ive used it on Ubuntu before. Prior to installing your correct graphics driver (nvidia or ATI) it renders at a rougher resolution thats very stretched...but after installation and that initial update, you can get 3840x1024 (only have 3 19" screens) and compiz and beryl work just fine...

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2008, 05:43 

If the analog version works then the digital one should too. The only thing you'd be missing is the software - but then I run mine without that anyway (though under XP)

you really don't need the software. u can install the software on a XP machine and do the setting on there then move the th2g to the unix machine

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 17:10 

The TH2Go Digital works very well on Linux. I'm using Debian (sid) with an nVidia 8800 GTS Exo edition. After installing the nVidia drivers, the TH2Go worked out of the box.
In compiz-fusion, you can modify your desktop configuration so that the system sees your screen as three separate screens an not one giant screen (applications will maximize in only one screen).

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 01:28 

Is it possible to setup Th2Go Digital with non-standard modes on windows and then use them on linux? Are the modes persistent across power-off?

By non-standard modes I mean the ones which need to be setup with TripleHead2Go Mode Expander Tool. I'm interested in the dual head modes of Th2Go too. Did somebody try it?

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2009, 04:33 

I do not have my TH2G yet but i am a Linux Admin...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83973

This link above soes a good job of explaining how to install custom resolution in the Xorg.conf file which is the file that controls the x-server (the program that handles the GUI)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=139118
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=140033
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/matrox-triplehead2go...-607773/

It seems that if you have an Nvida card it my be possible to make it work if you use the "restricted" drivers in Ubuntu.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 19:56 

Ok, I got my hand on the device with firmware v.2.3.40, table v.6.52. It looks like it works well except the case when input is DVI and only two output monitors are used (so when used as Dh2Go with DVI input). In such a case, if you use analog outputs, you get an image corruption. The first 2 lines are missing and the last 2 lines contain garbage. It's anoying. The bug is system independent (both in WinXP and Linux). Their support did not indicate whey will fix the problem.

As for as using it on linux, it is not a problem. Just do not mess with modelines. The right ones will be provided in the EDID data correctly. So, at most, select the prefered mode.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 22:31 

The image corruption is there when I use 2 x 1280x1024 60 Hz but not when the refresh rate is 75 Hz. Interesting.