Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 11:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 15:49 

I'm having a nightmare getting this combination to work. Went from a 4850 which worked great to a 5870 and really struggling.

Running the Powerdesk setup utility and it gets to the point where it is supposedly 'applying mode' then it bombs out with a red cross and a message saying "a windows error has occurred".

Rebooting is not working either. So I'm wondering if there is a problem with the combination or if I am just doing something wrong!

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 16:10 
Editors
Editors

I'm having a nightmare getting this combination to work. Went from a 4850 which worked great to a 5870 and really struggling.

Running the Powerdesk setup utility and it gets to the point where it is supposedly 'applying mode' then it bombs out with a red cross and a message saying "a windows error has occurred".

Rebooting is not working either. So I'm wondering if there is a problem with the combination or if I am just doing something wrong!

Have you tried that "recommended" graphics driver for the 5800 series ?

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATIRadeonHD5800seriesrecommendedgraphicsdriver.aspx

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 16:24 

Yes - in fact the first Catalyst 9.9 drivers I had pre-downloaded did not detect my 5870 at all!

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 16:29 
Editors
Editors

Yes - in fact the first Catalyst 9.9 drivers I had pre-downloaded did not detect my 5870 at all!

Mmm bad news, i have two of these babies already bought :?

Now i remember why i have never bought a ATI GPU , till the 5870 :cry:

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 17:12 

You haven't listed any info on your system. Are you using TH2go Digital edition? Did you run the compatability wizard on the Matrox website?
I don't see any 5800 series listed in the compatability list there.

what is your OS?

As a side note, have you not tried 3 screens using the built in Eyefinity? People are waiting to get some first hand reports on that.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 17:46 

You haven't listed any info on your system. Are you using TH2go Digital edition? Did you run the compatability wizard on the Matrox website?
I don't see any 5800 series listed in the compatability list there.

what is your OS?

As a side note, have you not tried 3 screens using the built in Eyefinity? People are waiting to get some first hand reports on that.

I'm running a C2D E8400, 8GB RAM, Vista64.

I don't think the 5800 appears on the compatability list because it was only released on Wednesday this week.

You can't use Eyefinity unless you have either one monitor with a displayport, or an active DP->DVI convertor. I have neither.

What I do have, however, is a TH2GO Digital Edition which was working just dandy with a 4850 previously, but now cannot.

Also, I'm using 3 x LG L227WT monitors, they used to sync at 59Hz with the 4850.

Getting worried just a bit.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 01:44 
Editors
Editors

Well if you managed 2x 5870's you can manage a $100 adapter :D (probably)

Since its new tech probably just a matter of time to get problems like this sorted out for compatibility.

Though you do have a very valid reason to use your TH over eyefinity if you have 2 cards, you can use crossfire with the TH but not eyefinity, so if you run into a game that needs more power the TH option works better.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 02:20 
Editors
Editors

Well if you managed 2x 5870's you can manage a $100 adapter :D (probably)

Since its new tech probably just a matter of time to get problems like this sorted out for compatibility.

Though you do have a very valid reason to use your TH over eyefinity if you have 2 cards, you can use crossfire with the TH but not eyefinity, so if you run into a game that needs more power the TH option works better.

Yes, same here, i think crossfire is the answer to keep using by now the matrox adapter, once ATI makes xfire compatible with EyeFinity technology, a 100 bucks adapter shouldnt be a problem.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 13:12 

I wish I had 2x5870's! But just the one for me.

Yes I could get the $100 adaptor, but I've spent more than I wanted to already ;-)

I'm amazed that I am the only one who has tried to achieve 5040x1050 with a 5870, I know it's a brand new card but there's plenty of resolution nerds to go round ;-)

As it stands, I'm going to RMA the 5870 next week unless some new drivers are released, and then probably pick it up again later when compatability is sorted. Should be cheaper too.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 14:32 
Editors
Editors

As it stands, I'm going to RMA the 5870 next week unless some new drivers are released, and then probably pick it up again later when compatability is sorted. Should be cheaper too.

Any news about this ? :?