Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 09:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 15:17 

Hi, first time poster, long time user of TH2Go. Was delighted when I recently went from XP 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit, and I´ve been running 5040x1050 almost without hickups. Never had a problem in XP running 4080x768.
My spec.s:
TH2Go Digital edition Firmware 2.3.40 Vid. Table ver. 6.56
Matrox PowerDesk Ver. 1.06.0026.1022 2.06 GXM/VEOS refresh rate 60 (input refresh rate 59)Hz
Three Samsung SM 2053BW native 1680x1050 res.
One EVGA GTX 285 SC 1 GB Driver ver. 8.17.11.9562 Date 11/20/2009 (yes, older driver, but so far only heard complaints about later drivers). Not using EVGA tool for further clocking, using nHancer.
Win7 Home Premium 64 bit

When activating bezel management the right border of the picture in the left monitor gets compressed, so not only do I get the obvious black fields left and right (left and right monitor respectively), the right border of the left screen is compressed a bit, like 1/3 inch or 8 mm´s. The adjacent 5 mm´s of the picture is warped. Colours not distorted though. When I drag a window across that area, there is very fine flickering along that black edge where the window has contact.
Thought it had something to do with that particular monitor having been set up with Samsungs software Natural Color and/or MagicTune. But that was a couple of years ago on another rig. When I got the other two monitors I had uninstalled those programs and never got around to that tuning thing.
Anyhow, switched the left and the center monitor, and the phenomenon actually got a little worse.
I recall when first setting up the 5040x1050 res. I got a warning like "This res. is not the right for this screen blah blah blah Are you sure..." Ignored it, of course, and things seemed OK apart from my issue, that has now worsened a bit.

Anyone got a clue what could be the matter? Should I abandon my trusted nvidia driver and try a new one? Any more data I should post?

Any help much appreciated.

Bjorn

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 18:31 
Editors
Editors

Yes, I think everybody using Bezel Management at 5040 reported the same issue. For some the glitch appears at around 100 pixels, for me 72 px is the limit before the left panel's right side starts to "break". It is a refresh rate / bandwidth limitation of TH2G DE that affects all monitor models whatever the driver version, and there's no known solution :(

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 18:36 

That´s too bad.
I have noted that after a while the blacked out area decreases spontaneously to somewhat less, just like it used to be before the center and left monitor traded places.
Another thing, the left monitor is all black if I turn on pc after sleep mode, turn bezel mng. off and it turns on.
Since the issue was much less evident on the monitor that had gone through the colour setup, I think I´ll set up the remaining monitors. Would also help colourwise, they are a bit more lively after that.

Hope there´s a fix for it in the future!

Regards
Bjorn

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2010, 12:04 
Insiders
Insiders

I discovered a very crude work-around for the border compression @ 5040x1050, that I use in some games where I find bezel compensation important enough to warrant using it. I figured it couldn't hurt you share it with you guys.

My borders crap out at 72 pixels on my left monitor like scavvenjahh, and I need 116 pixels for proper compensation, what I found was if I set the left bezel compensation to my required amount (116 pixels in my case) and then turn off the left monitor, and increased the needed amount past what I need by about 30-40 pixels, turn the monitor back on - and then reduce it back down to 116, the folding at the edge would go away as I decreased it, going away completely after about 30 pixels for me, leaving me at 116 pixels of bezel compensation, without the folding. This is explained pretty poorly, but hopefully you guys understand what I mean. I suppose I could.. make a video or something, if any of you care enough. :P

The drawback of this is that the left monitor appears ever so slightly distorted, somewhat difficult to notice at first glance, but if you drag a window over and compare the text, it looks a little fuzzy. Considering I don't really ever focus on these side monitors as they are there for immersion, and it eliminates the folding while properly compensating my bezels, I can deal with it. Also, any screen resolution change, or turning off the left monitor, completely undoes the "fix" and you have to go back into the bezel compensation menu and do it again.

I have no way of confirming if this work around is exclusive to my monitors or not (I'm using Westinghouse 22" widescreens, I believe exact ID is in my signature) so if anyone is bored/interested enough to try this out and confirm it works on other monitors, that would be cool.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2010, 22:06 

you can post a video how it works please? i have try it, but im not sure i doing this correct. i will try again.