Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 04:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me spend money
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 05:44 

I'm planning a new projector setup and I want to start buying parts within 24 hours so I can set it up this weekend. If I get help I'll post pics and results.
I want to build a dual projector & curved screen set up for gaming and movies. I already have the computer (6970 CFX) and am looking at projectors, blending software, and screens.
Can anyone with experience using multiple projectors for gaming make some recommendations?

1. What differentiates the different edge blending software companies? Is one better than another for gaming? It looks like the major companies include nthusim, pixelwix, and univisual/waralizer. I read somewhere that one of them requires a hardware dongle. Defined not interested in that. I'd like the package to do edge blending and correction for the curved screen and to work with movies as well as DirectX 9/11.

2. I'm currently considering picking up 2x epson 8350 projectors from Amazon. I originally wanted a projector with frame interpolation, but presumably that won't work (or at least will have lots of artifacts) when using two projectors at once. The projector needs to have a fairly short throw. Any recommendations at 1,500 or less apiece?

3. Curved screens.... I already have a 133'' screen, so I was thinking of something smaller like 5 to 6 feet wide. Do most people make their own screens? There doesn't seem to be many curved screens to choose from online and they seem oddly expensive.

Thoughts?

Post subject: I don't have alot of
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 10:47 

I don't have alot of experience, so you'll get far better answers than I can give.

1. Some software is alot cheaper than others, but I think they have demos so you can see what works well for you. Nthusim is probably the best but I think it's most expensive. I'm not sure that any of them will do movies though.

3. Make your own screen, any company will have to charge alot as it's a niche product.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 20:17 

HI
If your in USA maybe we can give you a price on the frame or frame and screen material.
i have been testing lower cost projectors and had some good results with optima game time and optima ultrashort throw projectors also on the led front try LG and recently Casio have a good led product.
So long as the projector has good contrast ratio and plenty of color control you will get a good blend.
one of the big blend problems most forget is with the screen material, it has to have a wide view angle and a less than unity gain..

Here's a daylight video using good material and optima gt720 projectors http://youtu.be/sFTrndLQ9SA

We can also set you up with some demo software to for comparison if you contact us at the site..

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2011, 11:50 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm planning a new projector setup and I want to start buying parts within 24 hours so I can set it up this weekend. If I get help I'll post pics and results.
I want to build a dual projector & curved screen set up for gaming and movies. I already have the computer (6970 CFX) and am looking at projectors, blending software, and screens.
Can anyone with experience using multiple projectors for gaming make some recommendations?

1. What differentiates the different edge blending software companies? Is one better than another for gaming? It looks like the major companies include nthusim, pixelwix, and univisual/waralizer. I read somewhere that one of them requires a hardware dongle. Defined not interested in that. I'd like the package to do edge blending and correction for the curved screen and to work with movies as well as DirectX 9/11.

2. I'm currently considering picking up 2x epson 8350 projectors from Amazon. I originally wanted a projector with frame interpolation, but presumably that won't work (or at least will have lots of artifacts) when using two projectors at once. The projector needs to have a fairly short throw. Any recommendations at 1,500 or less apiece?

3. Curved screens.... I already have a 133'' screen, so I was thinking of something smaller like 5 to 6 feet wide. Do most people make their own screens? There doesn't seem to be many curved screens to choose from online and they seem oddly expensive.

Thoughts?

1. There are 5 consumer pre-warping utility software companies on the market. I can only speak for NTHUSIM. It has the most complete DirectX and OpenGL support of the group. I have personally tested it with over 840 games so far (http://steamcommunity.com/id/bhawthorne/games/?tab=all). Immersaview established the hobby consumer market with NTHUSIM and has motivation to keep itself prominent within this new market. NTHUSIM uses a one time online activation. You're set as long as you don't significantly change your hardware configuration after that. If you do upgrade a lot or change computers it might take a few hours to process a registration reset via the NTHUSIM forums or email to Immersaview. NTHUSIM works with OpenGL and DX7-11 game titles and any video player that uses fullscreen DirectX or OpenGL rendering. In particular I watch HDTV cable using a Ceton InfiniTV4 in Windows Media Center. I also watch Blu-ray content on my NTHUSIM setup all the time. I really suggest you do try all the options out there and pay particular mind to game compatibility and pre-warping software stability. I think you'll find NTHUSIM sets the standard for stability and compatibility.

2. I really suggest by short-throw, that you use something 0.72:1 or less. That limits you to the 720p 1280x800 range of projectors though as 1080p never gets that short throw. You can use a longer throw, but be sure to account for the proper distance for screen coverage. Projector Central's projector calaculator pro works great for figuring rough estimation on required lens throw mounting distance. Your surface is not a flat projection surface and be careful to figure lens throw mindful of that.

3. ATM, the hobby market is all DIY with a few exceptions. Turn key kits from several sources will be more readily available in the next 6 months time frame though. This is a very new market for consumers. Everything is price point for commercial and professional installations at the moment. With the consumer market beginning to show life, that'll soon change. At issue is there is little motivation for pre-existing screen manufacturers to lower their price point. New players in the market will have to force their hand though competitive pricing.

In your first paragraph you said you need to know things now for an install this weekend. This type of build is too speculative and DIY for you to have all the information you need in that short amount of time. It's simply not something you can pull off this weekend unless you're willing to drop serious cash on a professional install or are willing to significantly compromise the DIY build quality with materials that you can get at only Home Depot. Technically speaking Home Depot has everything you need to do a lumber based fixed screen build, but you really need to go into this with a bit more background knowledge of circular screen builds. I really suggest reading up more and asking more detailed questions or you're bound to make a few costly mistakes that will require rework. I'm speaking from the perspective of doing a lot of rework myself on my past builds. It's much more cost effective to learn from other's mistakes than to make them yourself.

Two 16:9/16:10 projectors do a 120 degree screen. I suggest 12 foot wide. 60 to 72" screen height (or just paint the whole surface white and not worry about the height and just let the projection dictate the pre-warped content height). Unless you have 0.72:1 or shorter throw projectors this won't work in anything less than a 12x10 room. My screen setup at Exposure 2011 is a good example of 120 degree 12 foot wide x 10 foot deep room size dual 0.72:1 lens throw setup. Note projector mount locations and that the truss area for the booth is 12x9 inner dimension. If you go with a lens throw longer than 0.72:1 you're going to need a significantly deeper room. Use Projector Central's projector calculator pro to figure mounting distance requirements particular to the projector you are researching out to use.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 07:26 

Thanks for the advice.
I'll do some additional reading on it. I already have a 133'' screen that I use for movies and such, and was looking for something that could fit in a bedroom sized room for gaming.
Unfortunately, I just got deployment warno for Afghanistan, so I'll probably take another look at the market in a year or so and see what's available then. Hopefully things will have improved.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 08:07 
Insiders
Insiders

Thanks for the advice.
I'll do some additional reading on it. I already have a 133'' screen that I use for movies and such, and was looking for something that could fit in a bedroom sized room for gaming.
Unfortunately, I just got deployment warno for Afghanistan, so I'll probably take another look at the market in a year or so and see what's available then. Hopefully things will have improved.

There should be some interesting changes in 2012. It might be for the best to hold off a bit for more readily available consumer options. If you're a DIY type though, now is good as any.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 21:44 

Who's the babe on the right and what the dude on the left lookin @

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2012, 13:36 
Insiders
Insiders

Who's the babe on the right and what the dude on the left lookin @

The guy is the Director of the Kansas Aviation Museum. The girl is just some random person walking around at that convention.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2012, 19:27 

[quote]Who's the babe on the right and what the dude on the left lookin @

The guy is the Director of the Kansas Aviation Museum. The girl is just some random person walking around at that convention.

This exchange may confirm my theory that BHawthorne will answer any question asked of him. Wow ... how do you not have more rep?!

Post subject: rdqlus wrote:BHawthorne
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2012, 19:40 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote][quote]Who's the babe on the right and what the dude on the left lookin @

This exchange may confirm my theory that BHawthorne will answer any question asked of him. Wow ... how do you not have more rep?!

hehe, no idea. Probably because some see me as having an abrasive opinionated personality. :bigsmile: