Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 09:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2010, 17:06 

I'm trying to get into Arma 2 and am having issues finding settings that run at a decent framerate.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could post what settings they are running, resolution, system config, etc.

I'm running a q6600@3.4ghz, 5870, 6048x1080 resolution.

I really want to get into this game -- I have a nice hotas/pedal system and love sims -- this looks like it would be a ton of fun.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2010, 00:35 

I'm trying to get into Arma 2 and am having issues finding settings that run at a decent framerate.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could post what settings they are running, resolution, system config, etc.

I really want to get into this game -- I have a nice hotas/pedal system and love sims -- this looks like it would be a ton of fun.

Ye, I am building a new PC, and ArmA 2 will be one of the games I want to play in surround / eyefinity. So, I really want to see some benchmarks for this game to see what I should buy.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2010, 21:07 
Insiders
Insiders

As to what gear to get to run ArmA in MM, get the best. It is a beast.

I will try to find time to give it a go once my 6950s are here (and running as 6970s ;)) and list my settings

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 01:18 

I'm running a i7 950 @ 3.07 Ghz in nvidia surround with 2 GTX 480 in surround sli, res 5760 x 1080.
Running the Operation Arrowhead benchmark I get about 45fps.
Draw distance is about 1600 ,post process off (its a real frame killer and I hate it anyway), AA and AF off, texture normal, vid mem high, object detail very high, terrain detail normal, shadow detail normal, HDR normal, vsync off and I think aspect ratio is 4.75.
The benchmark runs letterboxed on the centre screen though, slightly odd.
Oh and for reference im running a G940 hotas system , and this is one of the few games I use all the seperate bits, as most other games can only see the stick.
Could do with a good config for it and a picture of what the buttons do, so as I might program some of the unused ones, as its a job to remember the few I programmed already !
Oh and of course a track-ir is essential, specially in dem choppers !

Generally ingame I dont have many issues, every now and then it might stutter.
Everything is stock clocked.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 01:37 
Insiders
Insiders

If there is a thread already on this or somewhere or this thread needs moved, I appreciate the help.

Just purchased this game after playing the demo and have a few questions for the Arma II gurus out there.

Current setup so you don't have to go profile fishing:
Q6600 @3.4Ghz
sli 570gtx's 1.3GB memory variant
GA-EP45-UD3P rev1.3 (NOT an SLi board but running the "SLi fix"<--------very unsure of this as updating my video drivers forces me to update the SLi fix and I've had crashes and other issues so I really would like to eliminate it from the equation by getting a new SLi certified motherboard. I realize that Windows 7 doesn't care whether the board is SLi or Crossfire "supposedly" (from what I've read it just looks for a certificate or something) but you never know if there are other issues caused by something like this) and it is a seperate "boot" option so I have no idea what the SLi Fix has actually done.

I'm considering upgrading to a Sandy Bridge 2600k and overclocking it on water and I'm curious for any input from users who:

1) run this game - Arma II or Arma II Operation Arrowhead
2) have or have upgraded from Q6600 or other quad cores to 2600k and have seen a gain or are currently running a 2600k
3) are also running SLi of some variant, dual 4 or 5 series cards, and surround configuration

I realize at 5916x1200 or other high surround resolutions, the video card memory comes in to play a lot particularly with AA though I have that disabled in-game.

My in-game settings are set using the bezel corrected 5916x1200 and are as follows:

Visibility - 3600
Quality pref - Very high
Interface resolution - 5916x1200
3D Resolution - 5916x1200
Texture detail - Very high
Video memory - Very high
AF - High
AA - Disabled
Terrain detail - Very high
Objects detail - Very high
Shadow detail - High
HDR - 8bit Low
Post processing - Disabled
Interface size - Very small
Aspect ratio - Custom
Vertical sync - On

Vertical sync in-game on or off does not seem to affect the frame rate aside from the 60fps cap it imposes.

Tree infested areas with buildings/fences/livestock/troops I'm getting in the low to mid 30's (fine), dips in the 20's occasionally (awful).

Desert areas with buildings/fences/livestock/troops the fps are from 40-60.

The SLi meter... anyone know how to decipher the behavior of this thing? Its usually about half the screen height from the center out and very rarely goes nearly all the way to the top and bottom of the screen like its not doing anything accept occasionally.

Task manager when running the game shows 1 core @80-90% utilization and the other 3 cores @ 70-80% utilization.

Sorry, lots of info here. I realize Surround resolutions are generally video card limited and this game is suppose to be CPU limited with higher overclocks helping a great deal although I'm guessing that is at normal resolutions on a single monitor.

What kind of performance are you guys getting with this game and with what setups/clocks/vram.

-----------------

I also have a question about the HUD ingame. You can set triplehead=1 and that brings all the elements in to the center monitor however the left-most side of the HUD is cutoff behind my bezel :(. I see in the .profile you can adjust the topLeftHUD, bottom right, etc... but I've had no luck with with changing these.

Moving the Top left to the right pushes the whole HUD to the right and then cuts off the right side and the subsequent change to the bottom right corner to bring it back in pushes the left side back under the bezel. I've only made very small changes to these numbers like .01 increments trying to mess with it but can't make any ground on the issue.

Any ideas with this?

Also, does anyone know how to add comments in the profile? I'd like to comment the default lines out so I still have them and make changes to a copy.

Big thanks in advance!

-Cinnabuns

Gigabyte P67-UD7 rev. B3
OS -Samsung 840pro 256GB ssd
Games -Samsung 840pro 500GB ssd
Pagefile -crucial 60GB ssd
Storage -2x 4TB WD
PWS -Seasonic Prime 1k Titanium

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 11:02 
Insiders
Insiders

Another question I've come across is about the TrackClip Pro for the TrackIR. How long is the cord? Can't find anywhere with this information even in reviews. Maybe that's because its long and a non-issue but I'd like to know.

Thanks again.

-Cinnabuns

Gigabyte P67-UD7 rev. B3
OS -Samsung 840pro 256GB ssd
Games -Samsung 840pro 500GB ssd
Pagefile -crucial 60GB ssd
Storage -2x 4TB WD
PWS -Seasonic Prime 1k Titanium

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2011, 16:25 

Another question I've come across is about the TrackClip Pro for the TrackIR. How long is the cord? Can't find anywhere with this information even in reviews. Maybe that's because its long and a non-issue but I'd like to know.

Thanks again.

-Cinnabuns

My Track ir pro clip cord is about 7 feet maybe 8. Also Arma2 is a very CPU intensive game. With my old i7 860 overclocked to 3.8 and a 5970 (2xGPU) @ 5944 x 1200 eyefinity I was only getting 30-50% usage on both GPU's (also overclocked). I highly recommend you get that sandy bridge 2600K, because that is what fixed it for me, After my upgrade to the 2600K, I now get 70-99% usage out of both GPU's :) a ssd hard drive helps too.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2011, 18:40 
Editors
Editors

Let's keep discussing ArmA 2 in multi-mon over here. :searchplease

Upgrading your CPU to play @5916x1200 = quite useless. Play at a lower rendering res - seriously. Visiblity>2000 is unecessarily resource-hungry, too.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2011, 17:16 

here is a link that may help:
http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/532520-sanders54s-arma-2-optimization-how-force.html

also some people say gamebooster 2.2 helps too.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2011, 15:34 
Insiders
Insiders

Scavvenjahh

Let's keep discussing ArmA 2 in multi-mon over here. :searchplease

Upgrading your CPU to play @5916x1200 = quite useless. Play at a lower rendering res - seriously. Visiblity>2000 is unecessarily resource-hungry, too.

I have searched for performance related info and can not find anything for my particular setup. If you have any links bookmarked for this particular info, I'd appreciate it.

I would have thought the same thing as far as CPU upgrade is concerned.

So I got my new 2600k Sandy up and running at a conservative 4.4Ghz for 24/7 op. She'll do 4.8Ghz about 10deg hotter (60C load) but I don't want to run her that hot.

In any case it appears that my q6600 @3.4Ghz was a bottleneck for my GPU's cause my frame rate has literally nearly doubled since rerunning the game with the new setup.

All the same settings, everything on High, couple things on Very High, distance 3600, and even Post Processing on Very Low now, and the night map now renders at 40-50fps with no drops.

Day missions render between 70-90fps.

Visibility - 3600
Quality pref - Very high
Interface resolution - 5916x1200
3D Resolution - 5916x1200
Texture detail - Very high
Video memory - Very high
AF - High
AA - Disabled
Terrain detail - High
Objects detail - Very high
Shadow detail - Very High