Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 11:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 00:23 
Administrators
Administrators

For those of you running in triple wide, how's the performance?

Does Xfire work?

Does SLI look like it's scaling?

My roommate has a GTX 480 SLI surround setup and at 5760x1080, he gets 20 fps with all settings on ultra (no AA... interestingly, the only AA option was supersampling for him which would immediately pull the fps to sub 5 fps). This seems kind of brutal. He says that if he turns settings down, he gets 50-70 fps.

EDIT: Answered my own question when my roommate simply copied his install directory to my computer. I get better performance than him with 5870 xfire vs. OC'd 480 SLI. It almost looks like SLI isn't scaling since when I run with a single 5870, I get comparable performance to his SLI setup. Game is smooth even at 30-35 fps on ultra @ 5760x1080.

A note on SLI, if the game is still in Beta its highly unlikely that a SLI profile has been set in NVidias graphics drivers for the game, the result is even if your running the system in SLI the drivers don't know how the game best handles it so it just disables it. Open NVidia control panel, add the game EXE to Manage 3D settings, and edit the Multi-GPU rendering mode. For example Black Prophecy (also in beta) didn't properly run in SLI when I first installed it (ether 2 way or 4 way) I've since set it to 4-GPU Alternate frame rendering 2 and its had no real problems and runs fine with one 2 cores linked and great with all 4.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 04:44 

Rift does have an SLI profile with the latest nvidia drivers...266.58.

NVIDIA SLI

* Adds SLI profiles for the following PC games:
o Alien vs. Triangles Demo
o Endless City Demo
o Lionheart: Kings Crusade
o Moscow Racer: Legends of USSR
o Rift: Planes of Telara
o Shaun White Skateboarding
* Enhances SLI profiles for the following PC games:
o Age of Conan
o Arcania: Gothic 4
o Civilization V - DX11
o Lost Planet 2
o World Of Warcraft

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 05:02 

Strange, my roommate tested it on a single monitor (since you can't run surround without SLI on...), and SLI showed no scaling whatsoever. He has the latest drivers.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 07:49 

I've sunk a good bit of time into this beta. Currently sitting at lvl 20, just got my mount, have done tons of battlegrounds, and done some instance runs of the first instance of the Guardian side, "Realm of the Fae." (I won't spoil it, but "Realm of the Fae" is one of the coolest instances I have seen in any MMO. If the first instance was that cool, I'm dying to see the raid content.) I was so impressed with everything I've seen in the 10-20 range of the game, that I pre-ordered the collectors edition of the game over steam. Here's some random screenies I took tonight:

I'll try to remember to take a few more before the end of the beta. I know there's probably some of you who were as curious as I was about this game and for me, this was a definite pre-order once I saw some of the real content in the game.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 14:34 

Just wanted to post my first screenshot, i think it shows well how different some zones can be and stuff..

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 19:29 

I've sunk a good bit of time into this beta. Currently sitting at lvl 20, just got my mount, have done tons of battlegrounds, and done some instance runs of the first instance of the Guardian side, "Realm of the Fae." (I won't spoil it, but "Realm of the Fae" is one of the coolest instances I have seen in any MMO. If the first instance was that cool, I'm dying to see the raid content.) I was so impressed with everything I've seen in the 10-20 range of the game, that I pre-ordered the collectors edition of the game over steam. Here's some random screenies I took tonight:

Careful, a lot of MMO's actually have very engaging early game content to wow the player but end up flopping in mid / end game content. AoC comes to mind. Tortage (the newbie zone) had voice overs for all of the dialogue and was very well designed. Unfortunately that was about the only good thing in AoC.

As far as SLI goes, my roommate finally fixed it by manually injecting the profile into his drivers (well that's how he described it anyway). His performance is now similar to mine.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 00:28 

I have been playing tis game since the Alpha and I am really enjoying it and so are many of my guildmates from other games. There was no multiple monitor support to begin with so a few of us Alpha players started a thread and they actually responded and that got things going for multi-screen setups. The FOV was off and zoomed in too much with the first update for Eyefinity/nVidia Surround and they fixed that too resulting from forum feedback. The game is in need of optimization, but I would wager they will see to taht in the last weeks before launch. The game is basically a mix of various MMO standards from other games with open world events taking place like the rifts and invasions. Overall I am enjoying the gameplay even though it is essentially MMO standard. Running Eyefinity triple monitor setup @6048x1080 rez on two 5850's in CrossfireX and the game runs pretty well for me, I get around 25-35 fps and in areas with heavy player/mob loads if the frames dip into the high teens it still runs prety smoothly with very little chop, just some loading lag. Hoping to see some further optimization that allows for even better performance.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 23:43 

I noticed that Ibrin mentioned on the front page that I posted screenshots and that "the game has a centered HUD." I felt I should clarify that it doesn't natively have a centered HUD. What the game has instead is a settings menu that allows you to move any piece of your HUD anywhere you would like, and allows you to stretch, shrink, enable and disable pieces of it. It's pretty nifty.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 16:46 

I noticed that Ibrin mentioned on the front page that I posted screenshots and that "the game has a centered HUD." I felt I should clarify that it doesn't natively have a centered HUD. What the game has instead is a settings menu that allows you to move any piece of your HUD anywhere you would like, and allows you to stretch, shrink, enable and disable pieces of it. It's pretty nifty.

Yes it certainly has one of the nicest UI customizations of any game prior to launch I have ever played.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 05:23 

Performance seems awful. 25-35 FPS in the first mission (kill 6 ghouls) at 5760x1080 using ultra or even high with regular AA. Must be a serious problem with Eyefinity or Crossfire or both. Both GPUs show max usage, though that doesn't necessarily mean it's being used wisely.

For comparison, I get 60-70 FPS in BC2 with max settings and 200+ FPS in Half Life 2 at the same resolution. Something's not right. It looks sort of pretty, but it sure as hell isn't Crysis.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next