Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 22 Jun 2024, 11:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 21:27 
Editors
Editors

Will post prelim review if anyone is interested.

Yep i am interested. I will buy only one of these two games, DNF or RFA.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 22:52 

for the FoV boost, what value is equivalent to 100 FoV?

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 13:53 
Editors
Editors

Duke is out (at least in the UK) so with a fair degree of excitement I loaded it up this evening after I saw it in the pile of mail.

So far, I can't say I'm too impressed; it suffers from all of the worst bits of the current generation of games, such as recharging health, near-endless-ammo-everywhere, limited ability to carry weapons, horribly brown/grey environments, auto-aim (even when I turn this off I can still hit enemies if the crosshair is only "vaguely" pointing at them, so it obviously doesn't turn 'off off'), lack of serious graphics options (Just Cause 2 showed how a 'Graphics' option menu should look on the PC) and it's far too "hold my hand, guide me, I'm afraid of the dark". The only time I got remotely puzzled so far about what to do or where to go, the game started dropping... well, I'd hardly call them hints... more like neon-signs pointing to what I should be doing. I won't even start on the OTT post-processing that is straight out of the 'lots of upscaling so need to hide the jaggies' console programmers bible - especially since a couple of times I went to check my resolution settings as stuff was a lot more aliased than it should have been.

I hope I don't have to explain why I find many of these things annoying. Some of them can be forgiven. OK, basically just the ammo one can be forgiven. The rest smacks of console-itis. It's like Gearbox said, "Duke has aliens... Halo has aliens! Duke must be like Master Chief!" then followed it up with... "Did Doom 3 have aliens or demons in it? I think it was aliens...!" because I've not encountered an enemy yet that had the colour, the vibrancy, the interest that the old Duke enemies had... even if they share the same names. They all seem like Doom 3 rejects. So do the weapons... even the Devestator, the classic use-all-your-ammo-in-five-seconds Duke weapons sort of farts out warheads in a phut... phut... phut... phut... rather than the pftpftpftpftpftpft rapid-fire that it did in Duke 3D.

The humour, while a bit on the crude side, and the interactivity of the world is probably all that is really keeping me interested. I won't spoil the game for those that want to buy it, but some of the puzzles, with no crudity at all, had me genuinely smiling at them. They weren't hard, but they were fun to do.

At the minute, I just hope Gearbox release a mod toolkit, or this game will be completed once, and then utterly abandoned. I don't think I've ever sold a game, and yet this one is making me seriously tempted... except I can't, because it's now permanently locked to my Steam account. Ah well.

Duke should be about crazy weapons (and lots of them - I mean, what other game gives you an RPG 30 seconds in to the first level?), (somewhat crude) humour, cunning level design and fun.

So far, this isn't really any of those things. I don't know why I expected more.

I'm just hoping now that the "more accessible" Hitman: Absolution won't be a dumbed-down pile of turd too. Given some of the teaser vids I've seen, I don't hold out much hope.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2011, 14:27 

Thanks, a no buy for me yet. I don't drink watered down beer, I don't play consolised games.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2011, 16:34 
Editors
Editors

Thanks, a no buy for me yet.

x2 :wink:

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2011, 18:40 

I was hoping the multiplayer would be cool like the original

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMFz6PrVWyo

That hope is dead.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2011, 00:47 
Editors
Editors

I'm just crossing my fingers that some enterprising individual (or possibly Gearbox) will release some mod tools.

If they do, it might rescue the game a little.

But to be honest, I played some more yesterday and had so little fun, that I'm probably going to wait for cheats/mods to play it more. This game is more like a chore than a game. :(

I have serious complaints about the pigcops - they're not cops, they're barely even pigs! - they're more like a combination of the Husks from Mass Effect and the damned headcrabs from Half-Life. Their jumping/leaping ability is way too good. Last time I checked, pigs didn't jump... occasionally they'd charge at you.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2011, 12:50 

There really needs to be a "classic" mode for multiplayer. I want that old school speed back!

Any way to slow down the mouse sensitivity? 1 is not low enough :(

Cooler Master Cosmos II | ASUS X99-Deluxe | Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme S | 5930k @ 4.5GHz | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz | SLI GTX 1080 Ti's | Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD | Corsair AX1500i | 3DMark Fire Strike Ultra - 13,780 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Nvidia Surround® 3 x BenQ XL2735 | Samsung CHG90 Auxiliary Monitor

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2011, 13:20 

I can't select a resolution higher than 1920x1080. How do you force multi-monitor support?

Cooler Master Cosmos II | ASUS X99-Deluxe | Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme S | 5930k @ 4.5GHz | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz | SLI GTX 1080 Ti's | Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD | Corsair AX1500i | 3DMark Fire Strike Ultra - 13,780 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Nvidia Surround® 3 x BenQ XL2735 | Samsung CHG90 Auxiliary Monitor

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011, 02:51 
I Donated
I Donated

I am having issues with the flawlessws app. it immediately stops working whenever I try to use it. I am running it as admin but that does not help. I am on Win 7 x64. Any help is appreciated.

Zowie EC1-A | Logitech G15 | Razer Nostromo | Windows 10 Pro x64

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next