Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 Jun 2024, 08:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2006, 00:40 

Hello professional tweakers,

I just installed my new graphics card, a Gainward 7950gx2 and went on to test it using Halflife 2 Lost coast, using th2g with 3840x1024 and simple single display 1280x1024.

The results using maximum display quality with vsync off were 65fps (surround) and 85 fps (single). With vsync on they dropped to 55fps for both.

This is quite playable but that isn't much faster than the results i got with the 7900gtx.
And when I google around I find guys boasting with framerates far above 100fps, so I'm getting a bit suspicious if by system settings are not quite optimal.

And since this is the forum where the real power users are I hope someone can tell me how to teak my system right.
btw, this is my first multi-gpu rig and some of the settings in the control panel I see for the first time in my life and I couln't really say which Multi-GPU-Performance-Mode I should take.

My System:
Software:
Winxp 64
forceware 91.31 beta (and boy, i had to look pretty long for finding any driver at all that I could even install)
directy 9.0c

Hardware:
amd athlon 64 x2 4200mhz,
2 gb ram (kinston hyperx)
geforce 7950gx2 (just one)
and more hd space than fraps can fill in a day

Thanks in advance

FUS RO DAH!

Shaolin style

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2006, 06:49 

Perhaps XP64 and the beta drivers aren't as mature/capable as the latest 32-bit drivers that are giving other gamers 100FPS. The other (perhaps obvious) thing would be to make sure you are running the same level of AA/AF as the 100FPS guys, and that your quality/performace sliders are in the same position.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2006, 07:00 

Everyone who has a GX2 is using the beta drivers, but it might be that they're not optimized for Win64.

Hm, just a thought... is it possible that using a converted signal (as opposed to direct DVI) is having an effect on frame rates?

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2006, 12:40 

nah, since i have dvi output only. :)

FUS RO DAH!

Shaolin style

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2006, 14:12 

your specs lack one thing: the MoBo! The GX2 wouldn't unleash it's full (aka SLI power on any motherboard - see compatibility list on Nvidias website). Do a bench run one time with "Multi GPU" mode and one with "Multi Display"settings (to be found in the new control panel) does FPS differ? If no does the app you test with even have a SLI profile?
3dMark should yield some nice improvements around 30% or so

hope that helps