Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 06:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2008, 05:08 

After much experimentation, the correct FOV in rFactor with Multiview set to "on" for a TH2GO setup is 44 degrees. Do this, and no more weirdness on the side views.

It also helps if you angle the side screens a bit (about 30 deg) toward you.

Anyway, absolutely zero distortion now. Me Happy. :D

I'll try to post some pics, but in the meantime, go ahead and try it.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2008, 20:15 

If you're going to specify a single number, you have to at least say what aspect ratio it is for. The "correct" FOV for rFactor will differ for triple 16:9, triple 5:4, and triple 4:3 setups.

As far as I'm concerned there is no one "correct" FOV for triplehead rFactor. A number may be mathematically correct, but if your tires or mirrors are split across screens or hiding behind bezels, it's a very distracting effect. I vary my FOV per vehicle to avoid this.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2008, 05:30 

As far as I can work out (also only from anecdotal observation) is that the multiview horizontal FOV and camera offset are internally set to 90 degrees. Vertical FOV must autocalculate based on aspect ratio (which you specify in the config thingy before you start). This is only for the multiview option though.

With the panels oriented at 90 degrees in a 'mini cave' style (your HFOV has to be 90 degrees then or its obviously not right), open topped vehicles are pretty compelling. Closed cabin vehicles are a bit weird as your not centred but I guess that could be fixed a bit by dabbling with the vehicle files (you'd need to sit slightly off to the side a bit like you do in a real car) .

Yes, you need big enough panels to get in between them. 3 x 46 inchers are good for open topped F1 style vehicles. The mirrors are in the centre panel, you see approaching vehicles coming in them, then overtaking by your arm (if your a crap driver like me) and on in front of you. Too big a panel may be detrimental as the vehicle sides are so far away from you (you'll feel really small).

That seems to make it ok for travel where the horizon line is flat. Going uphill or downhill will still cause weird things but that's the nature of offset cameras. The only way I know to counteract that is to spherically warp the image(s).

Be interested if anyone else can try this.

Garry

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2008, 15:24 

That is a cool idea. So, if all the triple 46" monitor users would raise their hands... :)

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 23:15 

As far as I can work out (also only from anecdotal observation) is that the multiview horizontal FOV and camera offset are internally set to 90 degrees. Vertical FOV must autocalculate based on aspect ratio (which you specify in the config thingy before you start). This is only for the multiview option though.

Would it not be possible to change the multiview camera offset to 45 degrees or less , say 30.
Ok you won't see as much, but should look better than having your head in a 3 sided monitor box cuboid ( unless its a triple projector setup and yoy using the walls of the room :) )

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2008, 15:53 

The offset in rFactor is not adjustable by the user. It is hard-coded.

I believe ISI is aware that user adjustment of this parameter is desired.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2008, 15:29 

That is a cool idea. So, if all the triple 46" monitor users would raise their hands... :)

http://www.iii.rmit.edu.au/vrc/ has a hand up :oops:

We get a lot of reflection when trying to take pictures of it, not noticeable when your in it though. As Deckard points out, the idea is not that dissimilar to a 'cave' setup except your bedroom walls would make you feel very small in a very large car! (which BTW has a DIY version: http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/projection/mirrorbox/ )

Enjoy

g