Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 11:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2008, 16:43 

I think it's safe to assume that this will not replace the TH2GO simply because, in Vista at least, monitor spanning (where windows only sees 1 monitor, instead of dual view where windows still sees 2 monitors) is not now and never will be possible, according to nVidia. I think they are talking about quad-view, not spanning.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2008, 20:02 

I think it's safe to assume that this will not replace the TH2GO simply because, in Vista at least, monitor spanning (where windows only sees 1 monitor, instead of dual view where windows still sees 2 monitors) is not now and never will be possible, according to nVidia. I think they are talking about quad-view, not spanning.

Maybe it's impossible to span across multiple GPUs, but I don't see any reason why they couldn't do it on a single card system. However, for triplehead gaming it would probably require triplehead or quadhead GPU (or GPUs in SLI-mode).

According to Matrox, their new M-Series graphics cards will support stretched and independent desktop modes, in both Windows Vista Aero and Window XP.
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/media/pdf/products/graphics_cards/m_series/en_mseries_datasheet.pdf

Post subject: rply
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2008, 22:03 

I am using the triplehead2go with CrossfireX with no problems. When I run a 3d game, my 4th monitor(connected to the 2nd dvi) does not go black and still works.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 04:40 
Insiders
Insiders

Personally, I think neither nVidia nor Microsoft wanted to implement it. Ofcourse Vista can span through drivers. SoftTH does it. I'm sure it could be done a lot better though CUDA optimized implementation though. It's just an issue of both nVidia and Microsoft passing the buck to eachother because they won't justify the trouble to do it. Microsoft changed a few things in DX10 and then nVidia didn't want to follow up with a new implementation of spanning. If nVidia really wanted to, they could implement spanning through any port. The limitation would be pretty much the same bandwidth limitations SoftTH has card-to-card though.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2008, 19:57 

If nVidia really wanted to, they could implement spanning through any port. The limitation would be pretty much the same bandwidth limitations SoftTH has card-to-card though.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't use the SLI Connector instead of the PCIE Bus. I mean when running in SLI, both retain the same data in memory anyway & wouldn't be adding much more data transfer between them through the SLI Connector, so I can't see why they couldn't do it that way.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2008, 11:30 

I don't see any reason why they couldn't use the SLI Connector instead of the PCIE Bus. I mean when running in SLI, both retain the same data in memory anyway & wouldn't be adding much more data transfer between them through the SLI Connector, so I can't see why they couldn't do it that way.

The SLI connector is there for a reason. When running in SLI, both retain mostly the same data, but not exactly the same. That´s because both gpus are rendering differente frames, with -many times- some different textures (obviously not all) and polys.
If one of both gpus need a texture (for ex) wich is in the other gpu´s memory, that can be transferred by SLI connector instead PCIE.

Anyway, with a good implementation at a graphic drivers level, it could be much more efficient and compatible than SoftTh.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2008, 22:15 
Insiders
Insiders

Here is a preview...
http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/Nvidia_Forceware_180_Series_Preview/6110.html

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2008, 19:28 

So far my new pc (built in Jan) has been able to run everything triplewide in SoftTH without SLI enabled (no benefit to SLI+SoftTH, have to go TH2GO to see benefit of SLI).

However, high detail + 1680x1050 in Brothers in Arms Hells Highway is beginning to push my pc limits (on the cutscenes a little choppy, gameplay is smooth), so I would really benefit from SLI + multimonitor support as I am WAAAAY too lazy to reboot in between enabling SLI (no multimonitor) and disabling SLI (yes multimonitor).

Will try it out as soon as I can.

Core i7-8086K @ 5.0 Ghz | H60 | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti 6GB | Soundblaster Z | Asus Z370-A

16GB DDR4 | Win10 x64 | 3x27" Asus IPS @ 5760x1080 | Samsung 970 1TB NVMe

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2008, 18:48 

Official support would be nice, maybe I'd see a performance increase.

But I have multimonitor and SLI anyways (using a third video card).

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2008, 06:26 

We'll see how the official support goes once the 180 are fully released. Unfortunately so far it seems to be a case of 'only the big name games that payed us for it will be multi-screen sli enabled'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next