Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 12:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: X-Plane 9.0
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009, 15:28 

Yeah hold on... I remember something with issues on FSX. It made me go crazy. Had black screens but the game was running. First I installed the latest Matrox drivers and than I found out that it only worked if one grafics setting is completly turned off. i could use any resolution after that.

But the crap thing is...I dont know the name of that option. I bet the Xplane grafic setting is like the one from FSX...

try turn off the anti alising first or the shaders.

Need a screenshot from the FSX grafik menu than I could tell you what I did. But at the end it worked just fine. Like I saied it must be the same problem with xplane

edit: Oh you need to start your game on one display and with normal resolutions first in order to make the changings. And try it in windowed mode too. But I think you allready tried all of it.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 03:52 

i think i've finally made progress toward understanding the problem on windows vista/7, but I cannot explain the "why" for sure.

During my testing, I've found that under vista/7, the maximum x-plane resolution (windowed or full-screen) is 4096x1050 on a TH2Go.

based on the opengl docs, opengl does _not_ have a maximum resolution. however, directx _does_. dx9 has a maximum resolution of 4096x4096. dx10 doubles this to 8192x8192.

my gut tells me that opengl apps like x-plane are being rendered via the directx pipeline.

both microsoft and the opengl forum claim that there's nothing in vista/7 that specifically inhibit opengl apps on these operating systems.

however, microsoft _does_ say that opengl ICD's from XP will _not_ work on vista and that they must be rewritten for the vista architecture.

thus, there's nothing stopping nvidia (my card's manufacturer) from writting their opengl icd such that it's nothing more than a wrapper around directx.

i don't know if things are different on the ati side of things.

with all of the above said, the problem could also be in matrox's driver and/or firmware for the th2g0 hardware.

anyone else have thoughts on this?

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2009, 15:16 

I was having problems also with XPlane but with help from Corbalin at the Softth forums I got it working at 5040 x 1050. This is what he told me.

I run X-plane 9 on my three screens (24"+26"+24") at 5760x1200 perfectly
WITHOUT using SoftTH or any other displaymanager, the built-in settings of X-plane
works great, just set u'r primary windows display to show on the one to the far left as
X-plane will start drawing the picture on primary display snd then strech it out to the right.

Once I did that it came right up. Hope it helps

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2009, 15:43 
Administrators
Administrators

Have you added 5040x1050 into your TH2Go list of resolutions? I've seen a few games that will only accept TH resolutions if they appear in that list.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 13:12 
Administrators
Administrators

Just to add to this, X-Plane 9 works using Radeon's Eyefinity on Windows 7 straight out of the box.

First of all, update X-Plane 9 to the latest release (9.40rc16 atm), this will ensure you get a 'fullscreen' box to check, rather than typing in your resolution manually. Seems to help.

Secondly, go to Settings > Equipment and even though you're not using it, check the Matrox Triplehead2Go box. This reduces extra widescreen stretching in some cockpits (doesn't seem to have a negative effect on those that display properly from the start).

Finally, change the FOV from 45° to 135° to reflect the triplescreen setup (although of course you can tune this later).

Be aware though that with the latest ATI drivers, I am finding some of the aircraft downloads cause the display driver to crash (Airtourer, LongEZ are a couple I remember, were a couple more that I tested).

Same aircraft using an Nvidia / TH2G setup did not see any display driver crashes, interestingly enough.

Has anyone got X-Plane 9 to work on Windows 7 at 5040 with a TH2G yet? If not, I'll attempt to do some development on it. I have got it working with XP fine, which is what my sim setup uses, but can attempt a Windows 7 fix.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 16:06 
Administrators
Administrators

Uninstalled the Radeon 5850 and reinstalled the GTX275 and TH2G, including the GXM 2.06 for the first time for me, in order to troubleshoot this further.

Been testing this X-Plane problem with no luck whatsoever. Works great in Windows XP, but cannot get it to work regardless of what I try.

- Tried going into the Nvidia control panel and manually forcing every setting OFF.
- Tried setting the left display as the primary display and launching it in single-screen mode first.
- Tried various versions of X-Plane 9, including 9.41beta.
- Tried all sorts of FOV changes.
- Tried turning every single setting off or to minimal.
- Tried turning off the Aero theme.
- Tried overriding where and how new windows and applications open.

It is some sort of horizontal deflection problem, like when you unplug a deflection amp on a CRT tube. Everything is working, it's just all aligned on one pixel on the left hand side of the screens.

It's so silly when it works with Radeon's Eyefinity fine.

BTW anyone know how to turn off the annoying confirmation question when you switch between profiles in GXM 2.06?

Ie: Switch from 3 screen to single screen, or vice versa, you get a dialog box asking you if you wish to keep the current settings. I was hoping it would go away after I confirmed it the first time. Any way to remove this?

Post subject: Re: X-Plane 9.0
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 07:20 

So I'm thinking of re installing this game in my Eyefinity set up. Is there any known Issues that I should know of. I'm assuming from the posts that this will work with Eyefinity straight out of the box. I remember having some kind of resolution problem when I had it on Vista with just 1920 X 1200 and never reinstalled it when upgrading to W7. but have been Itching to give it a try again.

does it work with crossfire?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 10:42 
Administrators
Administrators

I've been using it in Eyefinity mode ok, with the following issues:

1. You may need to download the latest installer (free from the X-Plane.com site). I found I could not select areas of the map with the as-delivered installer. Obviously they recognised this problem exists for some people and a free installer is available on the website.
2. The view indicator (which direction you are looking out of the aircraft) is drawn incorrectly. It should be the silhouette of a plane, with a triangle coming out of it to show which way you are looking. It appears like that, but the rest of the imaginary box around the outside is also filled in, making it look odd.
3. X-Planes will crash when some planes are loaded. This only happens to me on about 3 of the 100 or so planes I have in the system.
4. No bezel management sucks because things are always broken in alignment, compared to my Nvidia / TH2G setup.

Nvidia > ATI for X-Plane on Windows, its a commonly known fact on the X-Plane.org forums. However, it still works and works fine.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 16:50 

Ok, Thanks.

When you say Install the latest installer are you referring to Windows v9.41 Update located here http://www.x-plane.com/pg_downloads.html

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 11:15 
Administrators
Administrators

Sort of. It can be a bit confusing:

1. Try installing from your discs. If everything works, great. Go to step 3.
2. If the installer won't let you choose any locations to install scenery on, download the latest installer from this page: http://wiki.x-plane.com/DVD_Installers and complete the install.
3. Once installed, download the Windows v9.41 Update file and run it to update your copy of X-Plane to the latest version. You can do this in X-Plane itself also if you wish.

Hope that helps.