Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 15:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Games and Dual Monitors
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 04:31 

Hey guys, New here.. and before I start.. Please, don't tell me to buy this Matrox tool, I'm not spending any money..

I got two 17" LCD Flat panels, with a PNY 8800GT. I have them set up as Span in nvidia control panel.

Yet in-game , my crosshair for COD4, CODWAW, Far Cry2, Crysis... are all right in the middle, and I can't see where I aim.

I did some google, and i couldn't find crap, if I did it was all 2006 stuff, useless info. I know this has got to be a problem, with thousands out there.

How do i fix this for my games?

Thanks, MeoW

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 04:33 
Founder
Founder

With two monitors your cross-hair will always be at the bezel line. You're splitting the screen image into halves. The TH2Go would fix it, but you'd also have to get a 3rd monitor. Even with a DualHead2Go, you'd have this image.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 04:36 

Thanks for the fast reply, So there is no solution for this?

Ok then, let's try this.. How can I get my game on 1 screen and have access to my desktop on the other?

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 04:54 

Well you can run the card in Span and then run the game in a window at a resolution just a bit lower on the horizontal, then you can move the window to the side and have the cross hair in view.

If you want access to your desktop I recommend running in windowed mode at a resolution of ONE of the screens.. That is what I do.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 13:44 
Founder
Founder

That way you can run internet, email or chat in the other window. Now, not all games support windowed mode. And, many will take a performance hit for it. And, you may have issues with your mouse getting "caught" in the one game window.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 14:06 

There is another solution. You can use Softth and use central and only one side monitor. You´ll gain some peripheral vision at the cost (perf hit) of a three monitor resolution (graphic card render a three mon setup).

It works with fewer games than th2go but since you already have the mons, you can give it a try (it´s free), and not sure about this but I think It works with all the games you mencioned.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 17:09 

Can you explain a little better how to use that, Soth program?

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 17:36 

First, Download it from http://www.kegetys.net/softth. Next, extract the files and drop them into the data dirctory (the one with .DLLs) of the game you want to play. You should be able to launch the game and play right away with no configuration . . . in most cases.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 18:34 

[qote]First, Download it from http://www.kegetys.net/softth. Next, extract the files and drop them into the data dirctory (the one with .DLLs) of the game you want to play. You should be able to launch the game and play right away with no configuration . . . in most cases
In the case of only two monitors, it´s neccesary to deal with config files, apart from bezel management (optional), because you have to tell the Softth DLL to don´t activate one of the outputs.

I think can be worthy some minutes digging in the softth forums before try.

Note: softth don´t works with DX10 and also dont works 100% with SLI/CF (it really does but only with one core, so second core is wasted).

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 21:18 

Oh and there is something extremely important that you need to know when running games windowed in multi monitor mode.

Have your primary monitor set to the one you want to play on. And make sure no part of the display area of that window is on the second screen.