Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 05:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 03:33 

Hi all, I am having a problem that may ba familiar to you or not..

Not all objects are rendering on the side monitors when they should, e.g. wheels on my car, other players cars etc.

When using trackir if I bring them in to view by looking then they appear in the center screen.. its like some but not all objects are set to render..

I may not be explainging this very well but hopefully iy may ring some bells.. All objects are set to render at long distance and everything is at max detail..

This sure is strange and doesnt help when barriers become invisible!

Thanks.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 05:42 

Hmm, some more searching reveals that this may be a th2go issue not related to trackir.

From what I have seen it was only happening to people on the last quarter edge of the side panel. Thats certainly not the case for me as it can be anything at any place on a side panel.

One person said the issue dissapeared when the fov was set to 80%. I will try this but I dont know what it will look like. it seems a waste to have three screens and then need to narrow your view to accomodate..

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 06:25 
Insiders
Insiders

Most games are not designed to have such a wide display...it is a lot like scopes in some FPS (you get the scope image, and blacked out around it like you are supposed to, but then half way on the outer screens the black stops and you get to see a bit more of the game) or the FPS protagonists arms (when you see the top it often doesn't have shoulders etc). It will probably something you have to live with, it has never bothered me so far, I esp like being able to extend your view through walls when next to them because of your FoV ;) (STALKER, TF2 etc)

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 08:23 

TH2go is not perfect, on some FPS games I get camera clipping on the side screens that lets me see through walls.(I suppose that's the reason that some people see it as cheating) In FSX you need to adjust the zoom and then reposition your seating to get a clear view on the side screens (without blurr). For now it's a trial and error type of thing but it will get better as more people/companies take TH2go into account.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 08:42 

Well for the money I have thrown in to it I will persevere :)

Actually, I like it so far. I hadn't done racing for a little while so its a little hard to compare directly against the 30" with trackir. I do have a few comments though.

The immersion is quite good with the peripheral vision. The side screens can be used for apex's but do do this I found that the 40 degree angle that many people use cannot be used for racing.

I have the monitors at 20 degrees from the fromt. I find that this gives a good transition of lins and curves from the front to the side screens. When it was at 40 deg tighter corners would be really screwed up and you couldn't judge the turn. 20 deg is fine.

TrackIR is not as good on 3 screens as it is on one, so far. At the same time it's not required as much. What I find is that if you use trackir you still need to concentrate on the centre screen. If you look to the side panels then it's just too much. Something in the brain doesn't quite click and it's not as intuitive as a single monitor.

Other then that its going good. I need to tweak the fov's on GTR and rfactor. iracing is good, I wish I could get it as good on gtr. It still seems like I have too small of a useable view in the centre monitor and lots of peripheral vision that isn't as useful to me, just lots of side window where I would like the front view to creep more to the sides..

Having fun so far!

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 20:42 

i know if you run open wheel cars in gtr2 you have to go to your plr. file and change this line or you won't be able to see your wheels at all.

wheels visible in cockpit="0"

to

wheels visible in cockpit="1"

there is also a limitation in gtr2 when playing online, you can't play with a res over 2400x600 or you get booted for a cheat.

in race07 you have to have the fov under 82 i believe or the objects on the side monitor disappear before they should.

rfactor works perfect out of the box, so does lfs

iracing works out of the box but the replays are messed up and so is the loading screens.

i don't use my trackIR with th2g either cause it feels weird to me too.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 21:58 

Agreed that using a track-ir in racing games with th2go isnt quite right, tho for a demonstration to other people, in car view is impressive ,but not really useful for serious racing.

However there is 1 app I know works in th2go and track ir, and thats fsx.
Its a lot more intuitive, and precision at speed is not as necessary or as critical as in a racing title.

I think im using 80 degrees fov in race07, in car with the seat as far forward as I can get it.
The F3000 is really good in th2go.

I got iRacing over the weekend, bought the mazda, well because what else you get with it, is frankly pants (well the solstice ). Pity I can only test it offline as it were, i'm using that at about 110 degree fov. Its alot of fun, very fast too with lots of grip.

ArmA is another title that is useable in th2go and track-ir, certainly in a helicopter.
Unfortunately thats a bit too hardcore for me, as I feel that iRacing will turn out to be also, but its early days yet, so i'll reserve judgement for now.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 22:16 

Yes, iracing is good. Too bad for me I don't think I will continue the subscription.

In New Zealand we are 12 hours ahead of GMT and every time I have looked to book in to a session they have all been empty. I guess there are not a lot of iracers in this timezone.. :(

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2009, 16:13 

there is also a limitation in gtr2 when playing online, you can't play with a res over 2400x600 or you get booted for a cheat.

in race07 you have to have the fov under 82 i believe or the objects on the side monitor disappear before they should.

GTR 2: Is it possible to change a setting on the game server to avoid being kicked out for cheating due to 5040x1050?

Race 07 (STCC): What causes the limitation? Can anything make you use a fov higher than ~80? Overclock the graphics card? Reduce graphics settings in the game?

I would really like to have at least 90, less feels as if the road is super wide and the next corner is only a few meters away, even if there is a long straight.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 01:50 

This was updated recently, havent tried it myself, but it sounds like it may be ok for higher fov's.

Updates to Race 07 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Maximum FOV is now 150 instead of 120