Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Sep 2024, 17:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 02:17 

The cinematic camera is indeed terrible, and training is the worst time to force it. I like the game though, after playing mission two with a controller. Fun stuff.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 02:27 
Insiders
Insiders

"Cinematic" ?? Uh-oh. HEaring that word when talking of agame always worreis me. Even if it is only a camera. Usually means poor gameplay and lack of control. Still, I'll give this one a shot, as i like combat sims but the last one i liked was Jetfighter 2, circa 1990.

eZ, you say the controls are a littel lame, but it does at least have completely independant roll/pitch/yaw control... right?

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 14:32 
Editors
Editors

eZ, you say the controls are a littel lame, but it does at least have completely independant roll/pitch/yaw control... right?

I'm guessing the meanings of them because I'm dumb, but the roll is pushing the analogue stick to the left and right, the pitch is pushing it up or down, and the yaw can be controlled with the RB and LB.
I would have liked the yaw to be on the left analogue stick, and the roll to be on the right. If I have the terms correct that is! :oops:

The last combat sim i played was Chuck Yeager's Air Combat ! Awesome upon awesome. When i look back at the screenshots I can't believe it looked like that. It looks fantastic in my head. :D

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 17:07 

this game IS FRIKEN AWESOME!!!!!

I'm playing with precision pro joystick + steelsound 5h voice command + tried to get track ir working (couldn't) amd man does this game rock!

I use to play fsx + accell +REX + almost all addons but to me fsx was just wayyyy to boring and slow pace + you couldn't shoot anything :P

I first started playing with keyboard and it wasn't great

but then i connected my old joystick to try it out and then BAM!!!!!!
WHOLE NEW EXPERIENCE with voice command.

The voice command is also excellent, 95% accuracy in my tests, other people say it sucks but that's cos they have crap mics lol!

I can't wait to get track ir working as well.

BEST FLIGHT SIM in my books.

sorry fsx fans, fsx is just too damn boring.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 20:43 
Insiders
Insiders

Just with the views, you have the (Craptastic) cinematic mode when you want to play hard-core and the just outside cockpit for normal. Is there an in cockpit view? I can't seem to cycle the view, where's that at?

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 21:08 

Mach, press c to cycle through assistance on views. As far as I know assistance off has only the cinematic view.
I am no hardcore sim fan and maybe that's why I am really into this game. Piloting the plane is fairly easy with keyboard only, which makes me a happy camper :)

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 21:33 
Insiders
Insiders

Thanks, I am not into hardcore sims. They have a lot of the boredom of the real thing (heaps to learn etc) but not as much fun (where's the G!)

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 21:54 
Editors
Editors

Have only spent a little time with the demo so far, but I think I might like this game now that I'm adjusting to their camera setup. The naming scheme creates a horrible barrier to understanding the intended gameplay, as I believe "Dogfight Cam" would have been much better than the very confusing "Assistance Off" moniker. Also, do not make the mistake of choosing Normal flight controls, unless you like having training wings strapped to your virtual butt.

For all those who share my hatred of 20+ minutes of intro videos, here is a .bat file you can drop and run in your Hawx DataMovies folder to skip the cinematic parade you are forced to endure at every launch:

ren attractmode.bik attractmode.bik.bak
ren Clancyman_720p.bik Clancyman_720p.bik.bak
ren d_geoeye.bik d_geoeye.bik.bak
ren disclaimers.bik disclaimers.bik.bak
ren logo_wide.bik logo_wide.bik.bak
ren rating.bik rating.bik.bak
ren UBIPresents.bik UBIPresents.bik.bak

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 22:05 
Insiders
Insiders

Thanks for the BAT!

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 23:53 
Editors
Editors

So there's a demo - that's great, I'm eager to try one of the very few games that combine TH, TrackIR and full amBX support 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next