Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 13 Jul 2024, 06:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 21:12 
Editors
Editors

Every time I try to reduce the screen width when I get to the lowest setting just before it fits onto one screen the game locks up on me.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009, 06:59 

Every time I try to reduce the screen width when I get to the lowest setting just before it fits onto one screen the game locks up on me.

I was gonna post that. I have the same problem.

running eyefinity at 5760x1200

I just set it to about 3 or 4 notices from the lowest. instead of all the HUD on the cneter screen
a few element are on the lower r and L side of the side screens. works well though thanks for OP for posting

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009, 11:34 
Editors
Editors

For triplehead users, try this. Go to Options > Graphics Options > Screen Width and set it to minimum value. It should move the GUI into the central screen for users with extreme aspect ratios. I haven't tried this with three monitors but it works for single-screen and a very wide window.
Thanks a bunch ! :bowdown Now I want to DR that game.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 09:26 

There's a console variable named gfx_fSafeAreaX that is linked with the Screen Width slider (try typing just safearea and hit the Tab key, the game console uses auto completion).

Instead of using the slider, type "gfx_fSafeAreaX=0.3333" (without quotation marks) to use the center 33% of the screen's width for GUI. Perhaps doing it via console won't cause the aforementioned problem.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 13:41 
Editors
Editors

There's a console variable named gfx_fSafeAreaX that is linked with the Screen Width slider (try typing just safearea and hit the Tab key, the game console uses auto completion).

Instead of using the slider, type "gfx_fSafeAreaX=0.3333" (without quotation marks) to use the center 33% of the screen's width for GUI. Perhaps doing it via console won't cause the aforementioned problem.

Thats exactly what I was going to try, just couldn't spot the line in the config file when looking for it. Going to see if I can find it there but if not will try the console.

Thanks, report back in 5 minutes.

Edit: Ok it works perfectly if you do it via console, and it even saves the effect if you exit the game normally so you do not have to do it again. Just do not go the to gfx setup screen where you normally set it or its instant lockup for the game.

Did not see this config option in the files anywhere but guess it doesnt matter since it saves when you use the console.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 14:39 

Is this lockup happening to everyone with three screens or is it limited to Eyefinity users?

I see that ViciousXUSMC and geniv2 are using Eyefinity for gaming and they both get lockups. Paddy and scavvenjahh don't mention any lockups but their signatures show they are using TripleHead2Go. Is the "Screen Width" slider lockup problem happening to anyone with TripleHead2Go? Is there anyone with Eyefinity that doesn't have this locking problem?

I'll try to get this fixed for the upcoming patch, but this is a guessing problem for me because I don't have access to Eyefinity at work and nothing locks up when I test with a very wide window on a single screen.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 15:00 
Editors
Editors

Paddy and scavvenjahh don't mention any lockups
As for me, I didn't try the game yet ;)

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 06:25 
Editors
Editors

Is this lockup happening to everyone with three screens or is it limited to Eyefinity users?

I see that ViciousXUSMC and geniv2 are using Eyefinity for gaming and they both get lockups. Paddy and scavvenjahh don't mention any lockups but their signatures show they are using TripleHead2Go. Is the "Screen Width" slider lockup problem happening to anyone with TripleHead2Go? Is there anyone with Eyefinity that doesn't have this locking problem?

I'll try to get this fixed for the upcoming patch, but this is a guessing problem for me because I don't have access to Eyefinity at work and nothing locks up when I test with a very wide window on a single screen.

yeah but just use that console command for now it works perfectly. I imagine the lockup has something to do with that error message from the game saying TV mode is enabled and the game cant run more than 1920x1200 even though its already running 5760x1200

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2009, 17:07 

I'm running SSHD @5760x1200 and I do not have a problem with it. Back when I was playing the game @1920x1200 (before getting my active DP->DVI adapter), I had CFX enabled and man, I had freezes galore and a hard lock or two. Absolutely no problem playing it now with a single card with EyeFinity enabled.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2009, 20:28 

mikeysg, what about the locking problem when the Screen Width slider from Graphics Options is set to a minimum, does it not happen on your machine?

About crossfire problems, we have many reports about our game not liking neither crossfire not SLI but it is a low priority problem because the game runs smooth for most people even when they are disabled. There are more pressing issues being worked on right now such as new multiplayer modes, dedicated servers, demo recordings etc.