Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 22:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2010, 16:06 
Insiders
Insiders

Yes i played through the whole game with no sunshafts. But I think my rig still did the calculations, as i got a FPS boost when i turned them off.

But i DO get them in Clear Sky.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 06:08 

Anyone else notice that you cannot use DX10 lighting at 5040+ res, like the old issue that was fixed months back? On nVidia (196.34) and Win7.

Good point, I thought the game looked flat; that's what it is.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 11:17 
Insiders
Insiders

How do you tell the difference between DX9/DX10 anyway, I didn't see any of it in the graphics options? I had to turn down a lot of graphic settings myself just so I could get a constant 30+ FPS (which then made the game very playable and very fun). Is anyone actually getting good FPS with high settings at a super wide resolution -- I wonder how?

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 14:33 
Insiders
Insiders

I usually keep Fraps running and i played it at about 20-30fps outdoors, with full sun, to 60 at night and indoors. At 5040x1080 on a lesser rig than yours. (see sig)

AA, SSAO, and Sunshafts are by far, the biggest framerate killers. Also, the difference when sliding the grass density and view distance sliders down a notch or two from max is tiny, but you get a nice FPS boost.

DX10.1 adds AA edge detection (mostly for trees), soft smoke, volumetric smoke, wet surfaces, slightly better textures and slightly softer shadows. Though i got better performance with DX11 than i did 10.0 and 10.0. DX9 still looks pretty good, but it's missing that DX11-y polish. Another member adn I have experienced a lack of sunshafts in DX11, so if that's your case, may as well turn them off. They only really look nice during sunrise/set anyway.. When Clear Sky came out, there was a DX10 features video. surely it's not so hard to find. There are some DX comparison shots, too.

tweakguides.com has a very excellent tweaking guide for the first two STALKER games, but most of it still applies to Pripyat.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 00:22 

I hate to admit this given the forum, but I gave up last night on running this game in tri-screen goodness. I just couldn't find a good balance between eye-candy and performance. On top of that, the HUD drove me crazy. :-/

I do find it odd how poorly this engine scales to larger resolutions. The other games I've played so far took a good hit from running in such a large res, but this one is really amazing. Hopefully there are performance gains to be had by means other than settings tweaks and (some) eventual HUD fixes.

Good game though! I like how the guy who tweaks guns is a drunk. :D

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 01:40 
Insiders
Insiders

I hate to admit this given the forum, but I gave up last night on running this game in tri-screen goodness. I just couldn't find a good balance between eye-candy and performance. On top of that, the HUD drove me crazy. :-/

I do find it odd how poorly this engine scales to larger resolutions. The other games I've played so far took a good hit from running in such a large res, but this one is really amazing. Hopefully there are performance gains to be had by means other than settings tweaks and (some) eventual HUD fixes.

SLI made a big difference for me. I ran it at 3840x1024 with everything cranked except AA. I was getting mid-20's on one 280GTX but almost double when I ran in SLI.

Finally finished it. I really love the STALKER series. So unique.

i7-4770k @4ghz

16GB Ram

Planar SA2311W 3D Vision monitors (x3)

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 06:29 
Insiders
Insiders

Haha, guess you haven't played Red Faction Guerilla then.. I set it to all low and was still getting 10-20 fps, so I said the hell with it.. maybe one day I will play it on my plasma TV on 1080p instead of 3x1080p.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 19:50 

Take a look @ this:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Express_Scaling/18.html

I realize this is SoC, but if you compare the PCIex scaling to the other games in that article it would seem to suggest that there is indeed something odd about the xRay engine's scaling capabilities as it pertains to high resolutions. At the highest resolution, it's by far the most impacted title by the PCIex bandwidth. This would suggest that perhaps the engine is using more memory for some reason that most other titles. Could it be texture use? It doesn't seem to me that the stalker textures are all that different from most of the other titles in the article....

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 06:29 

ok so before I get the game.

with the current hud mods available here..

is it enough to have a fully playable game in surround/triplehead?

I plan to run at 3x1680x1050 with bezel managment. but don't want to get the game if it's not fully triplehead ready yet

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 06:31 
Insiders
Insiders

Played the game through and through with Paddy's mods, you get used to the inventory being stretched after just a few minutes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next