Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 10:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tomb Rider - Anniversary
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2007, 00:23 

Definitely doesn't work in the Menu screen for me. it sort of 'jumps' into perspective a second after the gameplay begins, then jumps back to normal aspect whenever the camera is moved high or low, or when the camera is near a wall.

Checked the properties of the EXE, its definitely v1.0 - although it doesn't display the version in-game anywhere.

Paddy are you using the FOV hack that's available to download now? or is it one you downloaded previously? Maybe the new one has a bug?

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2007, 08:58 
Editors
Editors

I have had another thought and I think I finally worked out the problem ... :D

I am using a no-CD fixed exe from GameCopyWorld ...
If I don't use it I get the exact problem you guys are getting ... it doesn't work in the menu and it flicks between the correct and incorrect FOV.

So ... go get a no-CD fixed exe from GameCopyWorld.
Let me know if this fixes it for you.

:WWTH2Go ... I will add this to the Surround Solution page ... 8)

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 01:43 

YEEEEAAAH!!! It works!

Thanks paddy!

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 04:45 

Would someone please care to explain why a 'to prevent disc copies' system would create such an unrelated effect to begin with?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 08:58 
Editors
Editors

YEEEEAAAH!!! It works!

Thanks paddy!
Great Stuff ! ... :D

Would someone please care to explain why a 'to prevent disc copies' system would create such an unrelated effect to begin with?
I think sometimes Racer_S has to use a no-cd to exe make his hacks and so they don't always work with the the games original one as the code is different in order to be a No-cd/DVD.
Why sometimes he has to use a no-cd I'm not sure ... I think they give him a much easier access to the code he needs to get to in order to make the hack.
He does not make No-cd/DVD exe fixes and the use of No-cd/dvd exe fixes is legal if you own the game. (You may know this but perhaps others don't)

8)

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 15:10 

I know of no-cd exes but I just don't understand why copy protection programs are even remotely able to cause that kind of totally unrelated problems, I suppose it's similar to how starforce types can cause physical damage to some optical drives(has this been proven or is it still a rumor?). Personnally I try to avoid no-cd's unless I can't get the game to run in some other manner. Ideally I'd make a cd/dvd image of my own disc and use that but so far I've not found any prog that did that successfully.

Some games are doing it just the plain right way though, I bought Spaceforce:Rogue Universe and I'd like to give a kudos to the developper/publisher. There is no cd-required whatsoever to play, heck the discs content is downright spartan, not even a subfolder.

The disc is used once to install then back into it's protective box it goes, and you enjoy the game whenever you want.

Oh and about TR:A, is it still mostly in tunnels/temples/dark ruins? I'd like the change in game style but not if it's mostly of the above.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 20:57 
Editors
Editors

As I said it is just that the hack was made to work with the no-cd because it was easier for Racer_S to use/hack it and it therefore has slightly different coding to the games default exe.
If the hack was made to work with the default exe it wouldn't be a problem.
For instance ...
If Racer's hack alters 3 lines of code for the hack to work and a different exe is used to the one he used those three lines of code could well be in a different place in the exe ... maybe just one line up or down and so his hack wouldn't work correctly as one of the lines of codes being altered would be the wrong line to alter.

So I don't think the issue really has anything to do with the copy protection and it certainly isn't anything like how a Starforce type of copy protection can cause physical damage to some optical drives (proven or not).

TR-A is a remake of the original TR game so I guess it is still mostly in tunnels/temples/dark ruins ... but it's done a whole lot better.