Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Sep 2024, 13:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2009, 17:53 

Red/Cyan glasses work on anything. LCD Shutter Glasses need a 120Hz monitor, but offer a highly superior viewing experience.

If you're going to try out anaglyph stereo 3D, you'll want Red/Cyan glasses. The glasses you've linked are Red/Blue.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009, 08:02 

with a little registry editing you can use red/blue, red/cyan, heck even blue/amber like those superbowl things, someone posted that in relations to left4dead some time ago.

doesn't really matter though, they're all crap in the colors department.

as for the 'true 3d' vision bs, it's as headache inducing as every other lcd shutter glasses have been since years when they were first tried (in the voodoo days I believe) no matter how 'new and revolutionary' nvidia tries to pass em as.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009, 09:34 

with a little registry editing you can use red/blue, red/cyan, heck even blue/amber like those superbowl things, someone posted that in relations to left4dead some time ago.

doesn't really matter though, they're all crap in the colors department

You missed the point I was trying to make there. Sure, you can use other types of anaglyph glasses, but Red/Cyan glasses are the lesser of all evils for general usage. They'll also work out-of-the-box with Nvidia's 3D stereo driver, no registry tweaks required.

Now, that said, you can get even better color reproduction out of a really good pair of Ochre/Blue (sometimes called Amber/Blue) glasses. These require a dark environment, and that your eyes have adjusted to them, however.

...as for the 'true 3d' vision bs, it's as headache inducing as every other lcd shutter glasses have been since years when they were first tried (in the voodoo days I believe) no matter how 'new and revolutionary' nvidia tries to pass em as.

I don't see how it's BS, as it does indeed work. Sounds like you're just sensitive to the 60Hz (effective) refresh rate generated by the glasses; it's also possible you've set stereo separation too wide and it's causing eyestrain, resulting in headaches.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009, 15:16 

[quote]with a little registry editing you can use red/blue, red/cyan, heck even blue/amber like those superbowl things, someone posted that in relations to left4dead some time ago.

doesn't really matter though, they're all crap in the colors department

You missed the point I was trying to make there. Sure, you can use other types of anaglyph glasses, but Red/Cyan glasses are the lesser of all evils for general usage. They'll also work out-of-the-box with Nvidia's 3D stereo driver, no registry tweaks required.

Now, that said, you can get even better color reproduction out of a really good pair of Ochre/Blue (sometimes called Amber/Blue) glasses. These require a dark environment, and that your eyes have adjusted to them, however.

...as for the 'true 3d' vision bs, it's as headache inducing as every other lcd shutter glasses have been since years when they were first tried (in the voodoo days I believe) no matter how 'new and revolutionary' nvidia tries to pass em as.

I don't see how it's BS, as it does indeed work. Sounds like you're just sensitive to the 60Hz (effective) refresh rate generated by the glasses; it's also possible you've set stereo separation too wide and it's causing eyestrain, resulting in headaches.

Seems you miss my point as well. Pointless to try to explain the first one, but the second one: it's bs because to use nvidia's 3d vision you have to get glasses and a new monitor. As long as the user has to change display hardware, may as well go with passive polarized glasses that have results beyond anything shutter glasses can achieve.

Honestly I just can't stand a company that wraps an old tech in a shiny new wrapper and keeps boasting how new and exciting it is.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2009, 20:34 

There is another S3D solution that's compatible with the DTH2Go and not too expensive: 3 Zalman 19" Trimons (horizontally interlaced + polarized glasses) and a little tweaking.

However you shouldn't move around too much in front of the screens and shouldn't have a problem with those "old-school tv" horizontal black lines.

It works at least for all racing sims (iRacing, LFS, rFactor, GTL, RBR, nKPro, GTR2, N2K3+GTP). Even got it working at 75Hz (but only up to 182.50 - hints for current driver versions welcome).

DTH2Go 3D

DTH2Go S3D

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2009, 19:41 
I Donated
I Donated

Very nice bmlacme. I am actually specing out parts for building a triple screen 3D solution but with the 22" Zalman model. I already had one Zalman and it looks great, now I just need another 2 plus all the gear needed to support the triple monitors. If I can get this working I think it will be an incredibly immersive experience. Stereo 3D on just one screen is sick enough, so 3 screens will be insane.

Also, if you guys want to try this with your existing TH setup you totally can for little to no cost. All you need is a cheap pair of anaglyph glasses and the iz3d driver ( http://www.iz3d.com/t-dcdriver.aspx ). That driver will work on ATI cards or Nvidia under XP/Vista. I recommend getting these glasses: http://www.3dstereo.com/viewmaster/gla-pvu.html . Its not going to give you the same experience as a true 3D monitor like with the Nvidia 3D Vision, but it will be maybe 40% of the experience for a fraction of the cost.