Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 00:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2010, 11:05 
Administrators
Administrators

I've given up on the mouse. I can't get it to feel right no matter what. It's so broken it's not even funny..

Have you tried this that was previously mentioned in this thread? The first part (adding the following commands) worked a charm for me.

Could be a problem with the mouse acceleration, the sensitivity was VERY different for me as well in-game/menus, until I added the same command lines for turning mouse acceleration off, just like in Fallout 3.

Add these in Fallout_default.ini (Steam/steamapps/common/fallout new vegas) under the [Controls] section, if you haven't tried it already:

fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0
fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0
fForegroundMouseBase=0
fForegroundMouseMult=0

If that doesn't solve it, try disabling V-Sync in the same INI file by changing "iPresentInterval=1" to "iPresentInterval=0", just like in Fallout 3, the tick box in the launcher for V-Sync does not work.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2010, 20:50 

Have you tried this that was previously mentioned in this thread? The first part (adding the following commands) worked a charm for me.

It's not the mouse accel or vsync that's bothering me. I do have those things in the ini files.

It's the fact that the X and Y axis have different sensitivies while in the menu. Here's what I've gathered:

- DEFAULT: In single monitor 16:9, the X axis is more sensitive than the Y by a proportional amount to the aspect (I'm guessing). Either way, the X is sensitive enough that it feels very awkward to do anything with the mouse in menus. The aim sensitivity is fine. Every menu can be navigated by arrow keys (even the pip boy using shift + arrows)... EXCEPT for the VAT menu (as far as I can tell). It's a 'working' solution, but it feels very clunky and I always like to use my mouse first. In 48:9, the mouse is practically unusable in menus due to the fact that the X-axis goes berserk (much like Metro2033).

- INI EDITS: There's two things I can change in the ini files to tweak the mouse with respect to this issue.
1) bBackground Mouse=1 (default is 0) will make the mouse have 1:1 sensitivity in menus. The mouse then becomes super sluggish in the menus though. I end up using my higher DPI setting on my G500 and turn down the aim sensitivity to compensate. This works perfectly EXCEPT when the mouse reaches the edge of the screen, it will sometimes minimize the game when I click (i.e. shoot). When I maximize the screen again, the mouse is back to its old self (the default).
2) fXenonVertLookSpeed = 1200.0000 and fXenonHorizLookSpeed 1500.0000 (default). If I change the horizontal look speed, it does nothing to the menus. All it does is change the aiming sensitivity as far as I can tell (in reality I actually didn't notice squat by changing these values EXCEPT when the xbox controller is plugged in. I.E. changing fXenonHorizLookSpeed to some absurdly low value doesn't make my mouse aim sensitivity change, but it does make my controller x-axis aim sensivity super low. I'm going to guess these values are actually for the look speed of the controller and not the mouse).

Right now, I'm trying out a DPI setting that sets the X-axis lower than the Y-axis and seeing how that works. I somehow made it so that the default menu sensitivity behaves like 16:9 instead of 48:9 (only 1.5x more sensitive in X as opposed to 9001x more sensitive).

I REALLY want to use Kb/m for three main reasons over my xbox360 controller (the controller is 100% functional for a CONSOLE experience): 1) console commands (kb is disabled when in 360 mode), 2) The third person mode where you rotate about your character is not smooth at all with the controller, not sure why, 3) QUICK SAVE (no such function on the controller).

EDIT: Just tried using 1600 DPI for Y and 800 DPI for X. The menus are now perfect. But... my X-aiming is super low now. Changing the XenonLookSpeed values don't affect my mouse at all. How in the world did this mouse sensitivity retardation get past QA? Or did they test the PC game using a xbox360 controller?

I'm now just going to live with the hyper sensitive X in the menus and hope I get used to it.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2010, 00:17 
Administrators
Administrators

[quote]

It's not the mouse accel or vsync that's bothering me. I do have those things in the ini files.

It's the fact that the X and Y axis have different sensitivies while in the menu. Here's what I've gathered:

I am running a 48:10 configuration and the fixes I posted from TBZ fixed everything for me including what you are talking about. Did you try adding the extra lines that were not in the original config file as per the post or did you just dismiss the post altogether because you had already modified the one existing line and it didn't work by itself?

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2010, 01:36 

[quote][quote]

I am running a 48:10 configuration and the fixes I posted from TBZ fixed everything for me including what you are talking about. Did you try adding the extra lines that were not in the original config file as per the post or did you just dismiss the post altogether because you had already modified the one existing line and it didn't work by itself?
I have the 4 extra lines as well as the 'vsync fix' line. In both Falloutprefs.ini, Fallout_default.ini, and the Fallout.ini file (which as far as I can tell just copies the Fallout_default file). I've had them since the start to fix the 'mouse accel' issue. Mouse acceleration has nothing to do with sensitivity though.

I'm just playing with the x-axis being a bit more sensitive than the y and learning to deal with it. I just don't get why something like the mouse can be so broken when this game is just an iteration of Fallout 3 (which btw also had similar mouse issues... it's like they didn't even attempt to fix anything).

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2010, 03:28 
Administrators
Administrators

I have the 4 extra lines as well as the 'vsync fix' line. In both Falloutprefs.ini, Fallout_default.ini, and the Fallout.ini file (which as far as I can tell just copies the Fallout_default file). I've had them since the start to fix the 'mouse accel' issue. Mouse acceleration has nothing to do with sensitivity though.

I'm just playing with the x-axis being a bit more sensitive than the y and learning to deal with it. I just don't get why something like the mouse can be so broken when this game is just an iteration of Fallout 3 (which btw also had similar mouse issues... it's like they didn't even attempt to fix anything).

You're right, it should work out of the box, but on several multi-monitor setups I've used or helped friends setup with this game, it has been curable so must be something different about your setup to all ours.

The game has been fairly buggy through-out (random crashes etc) but been pretty fun, about to complete it but not sure I'll replay it, especially with so many games on sale on Steam from now until Xmas!

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 00:00 

ok guys no one has said anything about this game for a while which is weird cause i dont think all the problems have been resolved. anyways ive managed to get everything perfect except for lockpicking where its way too zoomed out. not sure how to fix this although i havent done any research into it yet, well not much. anyways ill update everyone on what fixes we have working so far. oh and i dunno if it matters but fallout.ini keeps reverting its self back to default however this doesnt affect anything to my knowledge.

anyways in falloutprefs.ini
ive found for my setup the following values

fDefaultFOV=130.0000 (for a 16:10 eyefinity setup)
fScopeScissorAmount 0 (add this to display to get scopes working)
iSize W=5760 (resolution)
iSize H=1200
iSafeZoneXWide=770 (this stuff puts the health bars and whatnot within the middle monitor)
iSafeZoneYWide=15
iSafeZoneX=770
iSafeZoneY=15

fRenderedTerminalZoom=60 (fixes terminal zoom)
sFontFile_2=TexturesFontsGlow_Monofonto_VL_dialogs.fnt (improves pipboy font)
sFontFile_5=TexturesFontsGlow_Monofonto_Medium.fnt (improves terminal font)

yes im aware the font still goes below the screen in terminals but only by half a line so you can still read it, and its the best font ive come across yet (there is another one that stops it from going off the screen, but its very hard to read in my opinion)

so yeah the last problem is the lockpicking zoom, if anyone knows how to fix that let me know

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 02:31 
Insiders
Insiders

Uhhh terminalFOV is what you want to change, i think. I've doen so much messing with my prefs.ini that I'm not too sure... but i use:

fRenderedTerminalFOV=0.20
fRenderedTerminalZoom=36

And terminals and lockpicking are the correct size. Terminals are a little hard to read still, but theyr'e good enough that I don't worry about further improvemnts. Unelss a real fix comes along.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 05:15 

Uhhh terminalFOV is what you want to change, i think. I've doen so much messing with my prefs.ini that I'm not too sure... but i use:

fRenderedTerminalFOV=0.20
fRenderedTerminalZoom=36

And terminals and lockpicking are the correct size. Terminals are a little hard to read still, but theyr'e good enough that I don't worry about further improvemnts. Unelss a real fix comes along.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm yeah well the terminals look fine with my settings, however yeah maybe its affecting the lockpicking? ill try it your way and see if it fixes it

EDIT: yes your method works as well, however i have mine set on 0.25. im still having the lockpick fov/zoom problem though

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 21:44 
Administrators
Administrators

Surely you don't need the lockpicking to be at a perfect size? Seems like too much effort to keep trying to fix that one thing if it's perfectly functional...

However, if you do think it's important enough and manage to solve it for your machine, then any future players may find the fix helpful.

I think that it seems difficult to make a 'complete list of fixes' because it looks like not all machines need the same fixes, but I think part of it is personal preference also.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2010, 01:46 
Insiders
Insiders

True, it's still quite functional with it being small. Mine was tiny for a while, too but I really have no clue as to what i did to get it back to normal....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next