Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 09:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Fallout 3
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2008, 23:56 
Editors
Editors

This isn't perfect but by changing the font used for the Pip-Boy and the computer terminals it is possible to make them a little more readable ...
In the ... FALLOUT.INI

The font used for the Pip-Boy is ... this line ... sFontFile_2=TexturesFontsMonofonto_Large.fnt
it looks like this ...

Change it to ... sFontFile_2=TexturesFontsGlow_Monofonto_VL_dialogs.fnt
this is how it looks ...

The font used for the comuter terminals is ... this line ... sFontFile_5=TexturesFontsFixedsys_Comp_uniform_width.fnt
this is how it looks ...

change it to ... sFontFile_5=TexturesFontsGlow_Monofonto_VL_dialogs.fnt
this is how it looks ...

I also changed the FOV of the Pip-Boy a little ...
Change this line .... fPipboy1stPersonFOV=47.0
to this .................. fPipboy1stPersonFOV=60.0

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2008, 01:23 
Insiders
Insiders

Oh, and World at War support coming soon to WSF. :o
ooohhhh missed this one, including MP????? More in hope than expectation :)

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2008, 03:06 
Insiders
Insiders

Paddy, that font change seems a lot better, but it's too bad the weight (WG) value now overflows to the next line :-. I am hoping there's some other way to fix the blurriness to make it normal.

There is a big problem with the terminal font though.. it's readable but since its larger than a lot of the text overflows! If you are trying to read something that would have usually taken a page, you won't be able to see the bottom half of it :(.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2008, 03:08 
Insiders
Insiders

Yeah I have a 360 ctrlr, maybe I can use that button :)

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2008, 03:31 
Insiders
Insiders

Am I correct that changing fDefaultFov does not affect the text pixellation at all? I tried setting it to 75 (the default) and it still seems to be pixellated.. too bad the screenshots in the original post aren't full size, but it looks like it would be pixellated there too.

I tried playing with the UI settings [Pipboy], [InterfaceFX], [RenderedTerminal] but it seems whatever values I set there get ignored (I tried setting a bunch of stuff to 0, but the pipboy/terminal effects like scanlines are still there :-.). The text is actually a lot more readable when the Blur disabled (if you open the console with ~ you can see how the Pipboy would look without the constant blurring). Unfortunately it's not the Blur proper that's making our text unreadable, but I think it might be the case that the calculations for deciding the text font size are wrong..

My guess is they render at font X calculated from the height of the resolution, but then they must do some resizing for when they are placing the font onto the HUD, and they use the width this time and make the font from X to X*3, which coupled with blurring would result in it looking like pixellated crap. Except they must do more than just 2 resizes since otherwise it would just look like small text blown up, except the terminal text is almost entirely unreadable (was making my eyes hurt actually).

If there's no INI fix maybe we can toss out some lines about people hurting their eyes because they're trying to read completely blurry text, possible lawsuits anyone? :P

-------
Anyway for those using 3840x1024...

Code:

iSafeZoneXWide=610
   iSafeZoneYWide=15
   iSafeZoneX=610

Are the recommended values in FALLOUT.ini to get the HUD to appear in the middle monitor.

I also updated my post on the first page with this incase people are too lazy to go to the 2nd page (I know most people visiting this thread probably will not go past the 1st page the first time around :P).

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2008, 07:01 
Insiders
Insiders

change it to ... sFontFile_5=TexturesFontsGlow_Monofonto_VL_dialogs.fnt
this is how it looks ...

As you mentioned this isn't perfect. But I think we have to find another solution because it causes text to extend below the monitor and there is no scrolling in this case.

If we could find a way to mod the Glow_Monofonto_VL_dialogs.fnt file and make it just a bit smaller we might just have the perfect solution.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2008, 09:34 
Editors
Editors

Yeah ... your right guys ...
I didn't have a terminal that had that much text on it.
I'll keep digging but I can't see anything that is gonna help us at the moment ... :(

EDIT: Actually one of the other fonts was a little smaller ... I can't remember which one now ...
Dunno if it will be good enough but I'll check them out ...

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2008, 09:42 
Insiders
Insiders

It's really a deal breaker when your trying to hack terminals. If we could figure out how similar the modding process is to Oblivion then we could just extract the font file and make the font smaller with a font editor couldn't we?

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2008, 09:46 
Insiders
Insiders

While we're on that note, the sniper rifle zoom is messed up too..

Though definitely much much lower priority than the terminal text overflowing.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2008, 09:51 
Editors
Editors

Hey guys ...
Try this font ... Glow_Monofonto_Medium.fnt

I don't have a terminal with lots of text but it is a bit smaller.

Original

Glow_Monofonto_Medium.fnt

And yeah ... crap news on the sniper zoom ... :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next