Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 21:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 22:25 

ok...back on topic...

When i bought my TH2GO I felt like I was kicked in the pants. I paid $300 for a device that did not work correctly. In fact their tech support couldn't (wouldn't?) even help me and directed me to this forum. Reading several of the posts and then figuring out what was wrong was like a revalation... cue lights... cue music... angelic voices... etc...

Now my TH2GO works fine. I play several games in widescreen (5040 x 1050), but not all games (because I get motion sickness!).

... at this point the $300 was definitely worth it. I went to a 500 person LAN recently and decided I couldn't just play games on a single screen. I wound up buying a 2nd seat and carting my whole triple screen setup to the LAN.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 23:48 
Editors
Editors

I paid $300 for a device that did not work correctly. In fact their tech support couldn't (wouldn't?) even help me and directed me to this forum. Reading several of the posts and then figuring out what was wrong was like a revalation... cue lights... cue music... angelic voices... etc...

Glad everything worked out for you (although motion sickness sucks :( ).

Mind revealing what the initial problems were? It might be helpful info for those considering a purchase or experiencing difficulties.

Angelic voices for sure! The TH2Go experience is so sweet that I'm quickly becoming a Surround Gaming elitist--I'm checking out TH support before any purchase. :D

Developers:
:WWTH2Go

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2008, 05:02 

To anyone saying its ATIs fault, IT ISNT, im playing games at 5760 * 1200 (yes you read that right) with SoftTH and an ATI 4870x2.

The problem lies in that TripleHead2Go works at 57Hz for the DVI inputs and outputs if im not wrong, i know that the DVI spec cant output 5040 * 1050 @ 60 hz (no bandwidth), but with some kind of conversion TH2Go should be able to do it, Matrox should release a a TH2Go that supports this and that would make it compatible with any card.

After all the 4870x2 is the most powerful card in the market and its a no brainier to use one for Triple Monitor gaming, im holding off buying Th2Go until A) Matrox fixes this issue or B) NVidia comes with a more powerful and cheaper GFX card than the competition.

Meanwhile i suggest you use SoftTH, most popular games run if you are patient enough to configure them right.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2008, 06:59 

To anyone saying its ATIs fault, IT ISNT, im playing games at 5760 * 1200 (yes you read that right) with SoftTH and an ATI 4870x2.

The problem lies in that TripleHead2Go works at 57Hz for the DVI inputs and outputs if im not wrong, i know that the DVI spec cant output 5040 * 1050 @ 60 hz (no bandwidth), but with some kind of conversion TH2Go should be able to do it, Matrox should release a a TH2Go that supports this and that would make it compatible with any card.

After all the 4870x2 is the most powerful card in the market and its a no brainier to use one for Triple Monitor gaming, im holding off buying Th2Go until A) Matrox fixes this issue or B) NVidia comes with a more powerful and cheaper GFX card than the competition.

Meanwhile i suggest you use SoftTH, most popular games run if you are patient enough to configure them right.

1.) If the DVI spec can't output 5040 * 1050 @ 60hz (which I doubt myself) then Matrox can't do anything about that. They would need a higher bandwidth cable to get the data to the card (it would need to be DVI with current generation cards, so that's not happening) or a mechanism to get multiple cables running to it (defeating the whole purpose).

2.) SofTH is different than TH2Go. ATI drivers don't support the types of configurations needed to run the TH2Go properly (ex, 5040 * 1050 @ 57hz), and SofTH isn't actually doing that. Notice how the third monitor is configured through a different card, and the first and second monitors are configured separately. It's ATI. Or it's some sort of a conspiracy :wink:

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2008, 14:37 

After owning a TH2Go, then trying SoftTH, I'd say that it isn't worth buying a TH2Go.

Why pay money when you can get the same solution for free?

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2008, 15:53 

[quote]To anyone saying its ATIs fault, IT ISNT, im playing games at 5760 * 1200 (yes you read that right) with SoftTH and an ATI 4870x2.

1.) If the DVI spec can't output 5040 * 1050 @ 60hz (which I doubt myself) then Matrox can't do anything about that. They would need a higher bandwidth cable to get the data to the card (it would need to be DVI with current generation cards, so that's not happening) or a mechanism to get multiple cables running to it (defeating the whole purpose).

2.) SofTH is different than TH2Go. ATI drivers don't support the types of configurations needed to run the TH2Go properly (ex, 5040 * 1050 @ 57hz), and SofTH isn't actually doing that. Notice how the third monitor is configured through a different card, and the first and second monitors are configured separately. It's ATI. Or it's some sort of a conspiracy :wink:

Yeah but in the SofTH, the primary videocard is doing all the work at the entire resolution then it splits the image in 3 and sends each image to the appropriate DVI out, so in essence the third video card is just a "bridge" so to speak. The primary video card IS doing the processing of the entire 5040 * 1050 resolution.

Still you are right, recently ATI removed the option to span the image to more than one screen, with my x800 i remember being able to span the image to 3840 * 1024 into 2 monitors, but now its gone.

After owning a TH2Go, then trying SoftTH, I'd say that it isn't worth buying a TH2Go.

Why pay money when you can get the same solution for free?

Even though im really happy with SoftTH, i have to confess that it is very unstable and it yields worse framerates than Th2Go, but i also have to say that even if i owned a Th2Go i would end up going back to SofTH for some games as it allows me play at the native resolution of my 24" screens, 5760 * 1200.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2008, 17:22 

Still you are right, recently ATI removed the option to span the image to more than one screen, with my x800 i remember being able to span the image to 3840 * 1024 into 2 monitors, but now its gone.

Did you upgrade from XP to Vista? Monitor spanning is no longer supported in Vista.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2008, 18:50 

[quote]

Did you upgrade from XP to Vista? Monitor spanning is no longer supported in Vista.

hmm yeah i did... so that explains it. THanks

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2008, 19:36 
Editors
Editors

Monitor spanning is no longer supported in Vista.

Wait, are you saying MS completely removed this feature from the OS?

Yet another fumble that entices me to upgrade...not.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2008, 19:47 

[quote]I paid $300 for a device that did not work correctly. In fact their tech support couldn't (wouldn't?) even help me and directed me to this forum. Reading several of the posts and then figuring out what was wrong was like a revalation... cue lights... cue music... angelic voices... etc...

Glad everything worked out for you (although motion sickness sucks :( ).

Mind revealing what the initial problems were? It might be helpful info for those considering a purchase or experiencing difficulties.

Angelic voices for sure! The TH2Go experience is so sweet that I'm quickly becoming a Surround Gaming elitist--I'm checking out TH support before any purchase. :D

Developers:
:WWTH2Go

I won't go into details, but the original post is here:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/9225

After figuring out what the problem was, I posted and it got made into a sticky which is here:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14213

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next