Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 10:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 17:25 
Editors
Editors

I imagine they will spin some line ... the only way ATi can redeem themselves is to get this changed ASAP ... not in a few weeks but NOW.
If they can't or won't then I feel the WSGF should no longer support them.
Not because of this one game but because of how bad this is for the future of ALL TripleHead gaming.

If there is a "Eyefinity only solution", which only can be enabled on ATI setups, its basically a vendor lock. This is something that I cannot support either. I have been vocal about vendor locks as in Batman AA in other forums and I don't see anything different with this, if the "eyefinity modes" are locked to ATI only and cannot be used in TH or Nvidia surround.

Since games worked before Eyefinity without requiring a special support for hardware, I can't see that there is a technical reason why one should be implemented as opposed to previous methods.

Kyle Bennet at [H]ardforum has been very vocal of making a torch mob against Nvidia if they were to pull such crap when they introduce Nvidia surround and I have no doubt that he will do the same towards ATI. I'll join his mob if Nvidia does it and I'll join his mob if ATI does it. We don't need vendor spesific features where there is no reason hardware wise to do that. Its consumer hostile and makes PC gaming more into console gaming, since it will only run on certain hardware instead of a common standard.

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 17:29 
Editors
Editors

I'm curious, why start with us and why not start with asking Matrox?
Please show me one example of where Matrox got a developer to do a fix that was to the exclusions of any other GPU's ... (and rather than fix this ... you deflect the issue away from yourself.)

You have as much as admitted it ...
Guys, we are not adovating in any way that there should be exclusions for other hardware support. What we do is adovcate (very hard) support for Eyefinity and we provide lots of hardware supporting it and the software know-how in order to get developers/publishers to include it in their titles. ...
Whilst you don't actually say ... don't fix it for anyone else ... what you do say is ... here is how we want it fixed ... just so happens that it is very conveniently tailored to ATi.

Like I say ... if you are genuine about not making it exclusive then prove it with action not this spin.

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 17:42 
Editors
Editors

Kyle Bennet at [H]ardforum has been very vocal of making a torch mob against Nvidia if they were to pull such crap when they introduce Nvidia surround and I have no doubt that he will do the same towards ATI. I'll join his mob if Nvidia does it and I'll join his mob if ATI does it.

Yep, i read it last week, its intersting to note that the crap seems to have begun earlier than he could imagine.

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 18:17 
Editors
Editors

[quote]Kyle Bennet at [H]ardforum has been very vocal of making a torch mob against Nvidia if they were to pull such crap when they introduce Nvidia surround and I have no doubt that he will do the same towards ATI. I'll join his mob if Nvidia does it and I'll join his mob if ATI does it.

Yep, i read it last week, its intersting to note that the crap seems to have begun earlier than he could imagine.

Its disappointing. Nvidia has been pulling such crap for years with their TWIMTBP program and people have supported this saying "ATI should involve themselves more with developers and do this as well". I thought that ATI was above this (considering that they said in the Batman AA case that they would not do that crap with Dirt 2 and such). Now they are doing the same, making ATI only enhancements. Soon we need to switch GFX cards according to what game we play.

Bad move ATI. You could have set presidence when it comes to multi-mon gaming, showing that you actually want to push common standards instead of vendor spesific ones.

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 18:21 
Editors
Editors

Dave can fix this right now if he really wanted to ... now all he has to say to us is that he is on the case and will do his best to get it sorted with his contacts at UBI ... then keep us up informed of course.
But no ... he spins us some rubbish.

Tamlin ... please can you point out these shenanigans to Kyle Bennet ... perhaps he and his mob can get on the situation along with us here at the WSGF.
Also ... do you have a link ... I wouldn't mind taking a look.

Thanks bud.

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 18:30 
Editors
Editors

Tamlin ... please can you point out these shenanigans to Kyle Bennet ... perhaps he and his mob can get on the situation along with us here at the WSGF.
Also ... do you have a link ... I wouldn't mind taking a look.

Thanks bud.

I fired off a PM to Kyle and got a fast response! :cheers

He's really backing up gamers with this. I am impressed!

I have already got all the top brass on Eyefinity and the PR team pulled in. Waiting for a response. But trust me, I have let them know where I stand on this, same as with NVIDIA.

AMD is getting answers right now on what exactly is going on. It seems that AMD had little to do with EF implementation so AMD has no idea why TH2Go does not work at the moment.

Hi!
I wondered if you could take a look at this:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=19228

Seems that ATI is starting to go down the same path as Nvidia with vendor-spesific enhancements in games. I wondered if you could pull some weight here and try to stop the problem from the beginning?

With regards,
Tamlin

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 18:42 
Editors
Editors

Yeah ... impressive ... thanks bud ... :onethumb
Lets hope someone starts listening !

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 18:55 
Editors
Editors

Yeah ... impressive ... thanks bud ... :onethumb
Lets hope someone starts listening !

They should. Kyle Bennet has taken some firm stands against vendors and developers screwing with multi-mon in games. He initiated a boycott against Global Agenda for the same reason:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/02/11/dont_buy_global_agenda_editorial

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 19:57 
Founder
Founder

I'm curious, why start with us and why not start with asking Matrox?

We actually Started with Ubisoft. I have revised my initial post on the home page as I did take too harsh of a tone in general. I was rushed this morning and was trying to get a post before I had to run out the door. I should have taken some time to collect my thoughts and then post. For that, I apologize.

However, there is really nothing for Matrox to do. If a game supports the resolution (i.e., 3840x1024 and 5040x1050), then the TH2Go will work. I do think the issue lies with Ubisoft. It is evident they are putting in a specific check to only enable on Eyefinity, rather than any multi-monitor environment.

I have been in touch with my contacts at ATI throughout the day. Ubisoft implemented this code on their own, and has just submitted it for validation with ATI. Once they get a look at the code, they will tie back out with us. I have also talked with Kyle from HardOCP as well, and I know he is working with his contacts.

So, let's all (myself included) take a breather. I could have handled this better, and those missteps reflect less than favorably on the WSGF and me. Let's give everyone the benefit of the doubt until we see what is in the code.

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 20:16 
Administrators
Administrators

So I was just thinking, I seem to recall that ATI where developing an Eyefinty API for games to better detect multiscreen (or rather eyefinity).
I dont know much about this API, but is it an open API?

I understand this might be hard to tell now as Nvidia's own solution is not out yet, but saying that there is of cause matrox, mview, softth.

Is this API ready from ATI, is it possible that it is being utilized?
As such of cause not providing the optimal support for all other types of triple head?
This being something that UBI could rectify (as proven with AC2) to provide support for other triple head technologies, while still being able to use an implemented Eyefinity API which could pass extra info such as bezel or whatever.

If this is the case, then it would essentialy be UBI in the spotlight.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next