Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 23:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 23:14 
Founder
Founder

Hi all,

I wanted to wait to make this announcement until Catalyst 9.7 was officially released, but since I forsee lots of discussion about this, I've decided to let everyone know now.

As of the 9.7 Catalyst build (releasing in July), combined with Matrox's new Powerdesk 2.05 (released yesterday), all of the outstanding ATI bugs should be officially resolved.

This includes:

- Lack of general 5040x1050 resolution for all ATI HD series cards.
- Problem with the "DVI 4" output head not allowing 4320x900 and 5040x1050 mode. (Now both heads of ATI boards will behave the same and will offer all modes properly)
- Fix to enable widemodes with multi-board crossfire configurations
- Fix to enable widemodes with X2 series ATI cards
- and a big final item: increased timing support for 5040x1050 mode with ATI cards to allow 5040x1050@59Hz in all scenarios. (This has been tested with most panels previously found not to sync with nVidia GPUs at 57Hz. Those panels now DO sync correctly at 59Hz).

To enable these fixes, users will simply need to install ATI's 9.7 Catalyst, and then install Matrox's 2.05 Powerdesk:
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/gxm/software/
the powerstrip method mentioned above should not be necessary. (Cataylst 9.6 also has a few of the fixes already, but not everything. So feel free to use it for trial & error in the meantime at your own discretion).

We will be counting on feedback from you guys to determine if all the fixes are functioning correctly for various scenarios. So we'll be watching your comments carefully.

We should also give thanks to ATI for this support, since I have been working with them for almost a year now to enable these features and they have been very receptive to making the necessary changes. (It just took some time) :)

Happy TripleHead gaming everyone :triplewide

-Mark

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 23:29 
Founder
Founder

Brilliant news, I guess I should take back my comments about your silence, things were obviously afoot behind the scenes. This opens up a myriad of excellent cards, in both performance and value. More choice is always a big win for the consumer!

:D

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2009, 20:35 
Founder
Founder

WOW! That's amazing news!

My poor HD4870X2 has been collecting dust, and I've been fighting with the finicky Nvidia Custom Resolution settings. I would love to go back to my ATI card!

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009, 16:35 
Founder
Founder

Great news!!!!!

But damn, a few weeks ago Isold my 4870´s!!!!

If this is really true, i´ll go back to ATI!!!!

Big THX to ATI!!!!!

Tobi

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009, 18:09 
Founder
Founder

fantastic. I would never have 3 screens but at last the red guys sorted this problem.

Great stuff!

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2009, 11:58 
Founder
Founder

Someone tried it out already?
Situation now is just like using nVidia?

ATI + Catalist 9.6 + PowerDesk 2.05 = 5040x1050x57? :P

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2009, 21:45 
Founder
Founder

Hi all,

Just a minor update to my previous post:

In addition to the 2.05 Powerdesk and 9.7 Catalyst driver, you will also need to flash your TripleHead2Go firmware to a new version that supports the 59Hz timing.

This will be available for download around the same time that 9.7 releases.

I will keep everyone posted.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2009, 00:41 
Founder
Founder

Hi all,

Just a minor update to my previous post:

In addition to the 2.05 Powerdesk and 9.7 Catalyst driver, you will also need to flash your TripleHead2Go firmware to a new version that supports the 59Hz timing.

This will be available for download around the same time that 9.7 releases.

I will keep everyone posted.

I think a lot more panels will work at 59hz than 57 and less. I assume nVidia users will be able to use 59hz too... any comment on the deteriorating nVidia support for Custom Resolutions in each new driver?

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2009, 11:11 
Founder
Founder

Well, this works great for my desktop resolution, but won't work in any games I try. I have a 3870x2. I tried with and without Cat AI on, without Vsync, etc. No dice. Oh well, at least my desktop is back to a more reasonable size now, which will help me with my modding.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009, 02:30 
Founder
Founder

Ok, after using this for a few days, I've ran into an interesting problem. When I reboot my computer and get to the vista login screen, it won't display anything but some garble that is completely unreadable. I had to go into safe mode and find out which keystrokes at the login screen would get me into windows.
I figured it out and it works fine once windows has loaded powerstrip, but I have to do a blind login if I keep my resolution @5040. Obviously I can lower the resolution before I log off, but I thought I'd let everyone know that this fix can cause problems.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next