Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 19:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008, 21:53 

"When and if Nvidia makes use of 3 monitors in sli , they will provide support for games on release. Especialy big games like fallout 3."

Just like their 3D glasses feature?

"Why isnt matrox working with the software developers to make simple changes to the inifile which could be included in the resolution options of the game itself?"

They are.

"Probably because software companies could give 2 hoots about triplehead2go and Matrox because it represents such a small piece of their pie."

Triplehead wont become more popular because it is easier to implement.

"Now if Nvidia is in that position, you can bet your butt the software companies will conform to it. Games will be multimonitor supported out of the box, or at least an attempt will be made."

Maybe but that will not make the TH2G obsolete.

"Do you think a game like fallout 3 would hit the markets without multimonitor support if Nvidia was in charge of the show? Especialy when all it took to make it supported was a few font changes and some .ini changes. Why could'nt matrox work with the developers to have this done out of the box? "

nVidia running the show? no one does that but the gamers. nVidia does not control the industry the ONLY group that has any kind of control is the largest demographic of end users.

"This th2go is a great idea. Only if there was some muscle behind it.
If Nvidia takes over there WILL be muscle behind it, and when that day comes this small community will errupt into a rather large one almost overnight."

I doubt that, most people I talk to about multi monitor gaming are quite resistant to the idea, they bring up points like bezels on the display area, distortion on the side screens, and cost.

Oh yes cost! The only people who will be able to afford a TH setup will either be rich, not adverse to using CRT, and in the case of nVidia TH have an SLI rig or at least have a MOBO and PSU that will support it.

"I say unintuitive because little things like, oh the primary monitor in nonsurround games defaulting to the left most monitor... How long has it been before they gave you a assbackwards workaround where you actualy have to plug in "monitor 1" into the "monitor 2" slot to get it to work and then swap monitors around with 1 button like 9 times to get the windows to display properly."

Did you read my explanation of why I thought the nVidia solution would be unintuitive? And all TH2G manufactured after a date not too long ago defaults to center screen, others can do this with a firmware update.

"What kind of foresight did it take to figure out people would most likely be using the center monitor for nonsurround games?"

You apparently have not taken any product design or engineering courses. If you had you would know that anticipating the obvious can often take a heck of a lot of foresight, prototyping and testing. And even still mistakes are often made.

I would appreciate responses to my other points listed here for your convenience:

This feature will likely not be impliemented across all systems (IE one or more of the following will not have support, Linux 32 Bit, Linux 64 Bit, Windows XP 32 Bit, Windows XP 64 Bit Windows Vista 32 Bit, Windows Vista 64 Bit and Mac operating systems. Where as the TH2G has some level of functionality across all of these systems.

I have never had any difficulty working with Matrox where as if you want to work with nVidia you have to communicate either with one of their resellers of on their official forums full of fanboys and flame wars. I have hand the operatunity to communicate directly with people who work with the hardware. You may come up with the argument that Matrox has no official forums but if you ask them they will refer you here. They once had official forums but this place always overshadowed them so the closed down and started advertising here.

And then you will have limited support for which cards will work and for this feature in beta and new drivers, not dissimilar to nVida's support of 3D glasses and displays.

We also have not gotten to the possibility that there will be a frame rate decrease using nVidia TH versus Matrox TH which I am quite confident there will be.Oh and that last flame about Matrox not being a real company is uncalled for I could turn around and say your not a real person for similar reasons, but I won't because it is not true, just like your statement about Matrox not being a real company.

And finally I bring up a new point:

Microsoft has stated that there will be no support in Windows 7 for SLI.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008, 22:13 

And finally I bring up a new point:

Microsoft has stated that there will be no support in Windows 7 for SLI.
When was this? I've only heard that Hybrid SLI was deemed "unstable"...

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008, 22:26 

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:qTHq6ii8TrwJ:download.microsoft.com/download/a/d/f/adf1347d-08dc-41a4-9084-623b1194d4b2/GraphicsGuidelinesWin7.docx+graphicsguidelineswin7&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=ca

This is Googles cached version.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 04:33 

Look , I am not going to have a back and forth with ya. I appreciate that you find this product easy to use , but me? Well I have not been able to make a SINGLE GAME work the way it should.

Fallout3 has half the screen cutoff. In crysis warhead the best resolution available to me is 2400x600. Now I know other people are getting better results, but I am not. And there is not a single thing from matrox telling me how to get better results. I have updated my firmware and drivers according to their instructions.

Im sure there is something I am doing wrong, but like I said, its an unintuitive product that needs to be babied every step of the way to get something to work properly (which I have not).

I just want something that doesn't require time to deal with.

You may very well be right about Nvidia not being any better, but at least they will provide some competition which is always a good thing for the consumer.

Meanwhile I will keep trying to get crysis warhead with some better resolutions than 2400x600 using th2go.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 04:51 

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:qTHq6ii8TrwJ:download.microsoft.com/download/a/d/f/adf1347d-08dc-41a4-9084-623b1194d4b2/GraphicsGuidelinesWin7.docx+graphicsguidelineswin7&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=ca

This is Googles cached version.

I can assure you that you or someone else has misinterpretted something along the way.

Why would microsoft put out a operating system that is imcompatible with sli?

Oh , to exclue a very large portion of the pc using public.. Makes sense now.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 05:39 

I can assure you that you or someone else has misinterpretted something along the way.

...because you know that over 50% of the general PC using world has two graphics cards in SLI.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 16:54 

[quote]I can assure you that you or someone else has misinterpretted something along the way.

...because you know that over 50% of the general PC using world has two graphics cards in SLI.

Well I am not sure of the exact numbers, but the population using sli most certainly dwarfs the population using th2go.

Developers care about their games being sli compatible. They don't care if their game is incompatible with th2go (and it shows).

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2008, 02:03 

I have been VERY pleasantly surprised at how many games have worked nearly perfect triple wide, as I would have expected many more problems than I have had.

Support for SLI and Crossfire should be a no-brainer, as most pc gamers will pay an extra $150 to $200 for the performance boost, but triplehead does get both pricey, and harder to simply find room for.

I stumbled across this WSGF forum while googling for simple 16:10 support for games on my laptop. When I saw some of the folks here with their triplewide rigs my chin hit my keyboard (lots of spacebar!) and I almost shorted out my keyboard with drool...I knew I just had to try it out!

So far, with the help of Dopefish, Paddy, and the rest of you insightful buggers, I have got almost every game I really care about to run in triplewide goodness...it is to the point where I had to hook up a seperate plug strip for my left and right monitors to power them off when I DARE to play a game on a single monitor (Mass Effect), as I can't stand to see the left and right monitors with anything except FOV 130+ goodness...

Er, uhm, what was this forum topic again? Me drinking Mohitos in the hot tub right now ;) ...

Oh yeah, anyway, yes I can't wait for SLI + Multi-monitor, but in the meantime, let me give a shout out THANKS to this forum, and keygetys for his SoftTH software, as I was playing Fallout 3 last night and as a test, powered off the left and right monitors while in game and THE HORROR, it was like I had poked out an eye! (well, I may be exagerating a leetle bit)...

For me, Xbox 360 and PS3 fanboys really p!ss me off, and so I just had to take it up a notch, they cannot play triplewide!

Thanks to all in this forum from an old(er) gamer (yeah yeah, I did install and play the Doom shareware from a floppy disk set...remember shareware!?!?! you young'uns call them demos now).

Core i7-8086K @ 5.0 Ghz | H60 | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti 6GB | Soundblaster Z | Asus Z370-A

16GB DDR4 | Win10 x64 | 3x27" Asus IPS @ 5760x1080 | Samsung 970 1TB NVMe

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2008, 05:03 

I stumbled across this WSGF forum while googling for simple 16:10 support for games on my laptop. When I saw some of the folks here with their triplewide rigs my chin hit my keyboard (lots of spacebar!) and I almost shorted out my keyboard with drool...I knew I just had to try it out!

So far, with the help of Dopefish, Paddy, and the rest of you insightful buggers, I have got almost every game I really care about to run in triplewide goodness...it is to the point where I had to hook up a seperate plug strip for my left and right monitors to power them off when I DARE to play a game on a single monitor (Mass Effect), as I can't stand to see the left and right monitors with anything except FOV 130+ goodness...

Er, uhm, what was this forum topic again? Me drinking Mohitos in the hot tub right now ;) ...

Oh yeah, anyway, yes I can't wait for SLI + Multi-monitor, but in the meantime, let me give a shout out THANKS to this forum, and keygetys for his SoftTH software, as I was playing Fallout 3 last night and as a test, powered off the left and right monitors while in game and THE HORROR, it was like I had poked out an eye! (well, I may be exagerating a leetle bit)...

For me, Xbox 360 and PS3 fanboys really p!ss me off, and so I just had to take it up a notch, they cannot play triplewide!

Thanks to all in this forum from an old(er) gamer (yeah yeah, I did install and play the Doom shareware from a floppy disk set...remember shareware!?!?! you young'uns call them demos now).

I feel the same way I stumble here 2 years ago when I was looking for way to get my games working in widescreen for my HDTV. 1080p.

I came across this forum and my jaws dropped too.. I have to say once u got wide you never want to go back.

as for Nvidia SLI + multimonitor. it might be a good thing. but I would rather get the TH2G because it works NOW and have alot of game support (thanks tho this cmomunity, dopefish,paddy,racers and anyone I forget to mention)

also th2g is transparent and work with different video card and setups.

btw: didn't the Matrox Phelia card do triplehead back then? so Nvidia is playing catchup.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2008, 05:09 

Look , I am not going to have a back and forth with ya. I appreciate that you find this product easy to use , but me? Well I have not been able to make a SINGLE GAME work the way it should.

It must be you. I pretty much got it working right away. this site and forum is VERY HELPFUL!

I have to say the matrox game setting utility doesn't work for me so I have to manually edit/tweak the setting for each separate game to get triplehead to work.
it takes only about 2 minutes per game anyway.

tho other games takes alittle longer but once initally setup u don't really have to bother with it.

so far about 90% of my games work in triplehead.