Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 20:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 20:30 

I'm playing on just my middle monitor too. :(

Because the servers are currently down and I have nothing better to do but complain about how bad VERT- sucks, I processed my screenshots from last night in Photoshop.

I know we already know this -- but here's why (VERT-) 5040x1050 really equals 1680x350.

Triple monitor:

Single monitor:

Links to the original files:
5040x1050 -- http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4611/aion5040x1050.jpg
1680x1050 -- http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5707/aion1680x1050.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, I received a reply from NCSoft:

We appreciate your feedback. Aion uses the Crytek Engine that was created for the game Crysis. All video management is done by the engine and cannot be changed. Please let us know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Mike
NCsoft Technical Support

I don't know if Mike is a developer, or just a guy who answers emails, because I think his facts are slightly off. I believe Crysis actually used the Crytek 2 engine, whereas Far Cry and Aion use the original Crytek engine ... however it might in fact be that NCSoft is 'powerless' to fix the problem if it's an issue with the base engine.

I'm going to reply to his email with these screenshots and some pleading for NCSoft to work with Crytek to fix the issue. :)

------
Edit: Upon posting, the forum scaled both screenshots differently -- I had scaled them both to 1000px wide in Photoshop. You can still see the 1000px shots if you click on the images, and of course the original sizes are available at the links I provided.

Also, the reason there's slightly less horizontal information in the 5040 screenshot is because I have bezel correction turned on in my TH2GO, which slightly pulls in the left and right edges (~70px).

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009, 01:34 

You seem to have a good post there mancur, with the beta forums wipe, our th2go bug report is no longer there. Could you post it back in the bugs area of the beta forums - or if you don't have access can i borrow your post ;)

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009, 19:34 

Ok, I filed another bug report on the Beta forums: http://betaboards.aiononline.com/showthread.php?p=217877#post217877

Pile on and let them have it! :)

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009, 21:36 

Playing on center monitor only @ 1680x1050... sooo lame.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 02:45 

I posted my support on their forums under the name Alexie.

I hope they fix this game. I really want to play it.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 15:54 

I broke down and just bought a 30 inch monitor, its really nice =)

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 04:24 

I asked if AION will be fixed to display correctly at 5040x1050. This was the response from NCsoft.

Hello ****,

Thank you for contacting NCsoft Technical Support.

That’s a good question. We have no idea if this kind of display support will be implemented into the game or not. That’s something that the development team would need to consider and make a decision on, directly. As such, it’s best if you post this as creative feedback in the official forums during the beta test. Since the development team visits the community via the forums, they may take this into further consideration.

Regards,
Mike C.
NCsoft Technical Support

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 19:36 

This was a series of emails Between Mike C at NC Soft and myself back in July over this very issue. Note that this has been reported months ago in the early stages of closed Beta.

Response (Mike C.) 07/20/2009 01:05 PM
Hello Bryan,

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective and thoughts on this issue a bit further. We certainly appreciate your interest in having client functionality that includes multiple displays and camera zooming options. Ultimately, the decision to include that kind of support in the game is up to the development team for Aion. You may want to consider posting your concerns about this in the forums found here:

http://www.aionsource.com/forum/questions-answers/

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Regards,
Mike C.
NCsoft Technical Support
Customer (Bryan Martin) 07/20/2009 11:57 AM
This is my response to the reply from Mike C. at NC Soft Support. I waited to test some different resolutions on the last beta for Aion over the weekend to see if it would allow me more zoom out distance on the camera while running the triple screens. Unfortunately, none provided me with what I would call a birds eye view of the character and surroundings. I know that Lineage 2 is not technically supported by Matrox SGU software, but I guess the code in the config file is set so that a large camera zoom out is available as I have had no problems in it. I would like to ask that maybe you guys could reevaluate your initial assessment of my request and see if it at some point it would be possible to extend the camera zoom out feature further than the current "max" setting under the options tab. If there is a way to enter a command into the game console to extend as there is in WoW (/console extendmaxrange 50 for example) or a way to add a slider to the options menu to go beyond the current setting of Max. I have seen several posts in bothte beta forums and non-official Aion forums from people concerning the same matter, so I am sure this would be utilized by more than just myself. Thanks for your time, and I understand this is not a priority but it would make it where I could play Aion.
Response (Mike C.) 06/24/2009 12:54 PM
Hello Bryan,

Thank you for your feedback.

None of our game products (this includes Lineage II) are supported for use on a Matrox Triple Head 2 Go configuration. Widescreen gaming can be done without the use of such extreme zoom angles and triple-monitor setups, as I have a widescreen monitor at home and game without the aforementioned zoom issues that you're referring to (even without the Matrox display setup). You're welcome to continue running the game this way but this is an assume-the-risk method; we're unable to troubleshoot it because it's not a supported configuration.

If you experience performance or stability issues with Aion while running in a manner that is supported then please let us know.

Regards,
Mike C.
NCsoft Technical Support
Response (Robert) 06/24/2009 11:05 AM
Hi Bryan,

Thank you for contacting NCsoft Technical Support.

I am escalating your ticket for further assistance. Once your ticket has been reviewed someone will be in contact with you as soon as possible.

Regards,
Robert
NCsoft Technical Support
Customer (Bryan Martin) 06/24/2009 10:08 AM
wanted to add that my whole reason for writing this was that without the addition of an increased zoom distance, I doubt I will be able to play Aion. I am sure this would go for almost anyone with wide screen gaming setups as well. Also, I have checked to make sure that the camera settings were set to Max on the options menu.

Customer (Bryan Martin) 06/23/2009 06:31 PM
Hi, this message is for anyone with some inside knowledge on the Aion Beta Development. I participated in the beta over this past weekend 19-21st of June. I have a Matrox Triple Head 2 Go unit which splits my viewing over three 21" Monitors. I have played both Lineage 2 and WoW on this setup for over a year now, resolution 4080x768. The problem I am having is that the camera in Aion at that resolution does not zoom out far enough to see more than about the whole frame of the character and some surrounding area. Much to close to play. In both L2 and WoW, I am able to zoom far enough out to have a nice birds eye view. This support is native in both of the aforementioned games, and since Aion has native 4080x768 resolution support it should also have an increased camera zoom distance to play with the birds eye perspective.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2009, 02:53 

This is the korean beta, but does this look like a corrected FOV????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxEsx_yja2k

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2009, 14:18 

This is the korean beta, but does this look like a corrected FOV????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxEsx_yja2k

No, while it looks okay you really cant zoom out much further than that. I dont mind it being like that, the problem is question and looking around, you really do lose a lot of line of sight and it does make it more of a chore..

Wait a bit longer and see what happens I guess.. Its one of the few reasons I put off buying this game in release.