Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 21 Aug 2024, 05:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2015, 21:49 

Howdy. Just tried out Nvidia surround (5760x1080) on a GTX 650 last night, using Left4Dead2 as a test game. The gaming was excellent. No unexpected surprises once I got my surround configuration right.

What I was disappointed in was the difficulty of getting back to my 3 display extended desktop. After reading a bit, I couldn't find any very recent posts on this or other forums, but everything I did read (circa 2010-2013) suggests that Eyefinity has a good toggle feature that lets you jump back and forth between a spanned screen and individual displays via saved profiles.

I may not have experimented enough with Surround, but I couldn't seem to achieve the same ease of use. Is this still an issue with NVidia Surround?

I'm about to invest in a new video card; was leaning toward one of the NVidia GTX 9x0 cards, but this is a make-or-break issue for me. If it's too much hassle to reset my desktop back to my work-a-day setup in surround, I'm probably going to choose a Radeon R9.

Thanks for any tips.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2015, 13:04 
Editors
Editors

Default hotkey to enable/disable Surround: Ctrl+Alt+S (must be activated in the Surround config window). But that's all I know on the subject...
If that's not enough, Eyefinity is indeed generally better at handling multiple configurations thanks to its "display group" logic, so a Radeon might be the better choice.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2015, 15:10 

Unfortunately the hot key on the nvidia side hasn't been active for at least 2 YEARS. There's no easy way to do it, other than through opening the control panel and enabling/disabling/rebuilding your surround array every single time. On top of that, surround never remembers what order your monitors were in when you enable/disable surround, so you would have to re-arrange them every time.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2015, 15:55 
Editors
Editors

You should take a look at the new AMD Crimson (newer Catalyst Control Center).
This allows you to setup profiles per game, so everytime you start game X the Computer will automatically switch into Eyefinity for the game, and go back to extended when you close the game.

Here is a video of it: