Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Sep 2024, 15:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: question about gpu
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2007, 04:22 

hey guys currently i have an 8800gts oc 640mb, i can run all the fps at max and be fine however i'm a racing nut and when i play race 07 sometimes i get a stutter, also gtr when its raining at night i'll get some instances where i get some stuttering. i really want to run all my games maxed out and have the best possible frames as i can. what do you guys recommend. my specs are right now
evaga 680i sli mobo
bfg 8800gts 640mb oc gpu
intel core 2 quad 2.4ghz
2gb matched 800mhz ram
xp sp2
and obviousily matrox th2g digital, which i still can't get to turn on from a cold boot

what do you guys recommend i do, upgrade my gpu to possible 2 8800 gt's, get another 8800 gts640mb oc, maybe just get one 8800 ultra or increase my ram, i want a little better performace. those of you that use SLI i always here mixed review that its worth it and that it isn't, can you guys tell me your opinions.

my main games that i play are and are going to be
COD 4
Crysis
Kayne and Lynch
GOW
Nascar racing 2003 season
Gtr2
Race 07
Richard Burns rally
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Timeshift
Stranglehold
Bioshock

thanks in advance guys, i trying to get as much input as i can before i upgrade, trying to make sure it will be the best approach to take since it never really is for too long with all these upgrades, but i want a nice stable killer machine. thanks in advance

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2007, 13:15 

If you want a new single card, I would wait until the 899/9800s are out, to drive prices down (or get one of them). If you want an extra card, then another 8800GTS would be good. The extra video RAM it has over the GT cards will be good for the large resolutions like we use.

Post subject: Re: question about gpu
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2007, 16:30 

gtr when its raining at night i'll get some instances where i get some stuttering. i really want to run all my games maxed out and have the best possible frames as i can.
Rain at night is the maximum possible graphics load in a racing sim. I would suggest that you simply turn down a few settings in these situations (after all, it is dark, so you probably won't notice) and deal with the (excellent) hardware you currently have.

Anything else is throwing money at the "problem" for very little gain.

Post subject: Re: question about gpu
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2007, 14:05 

[quote]gtr when its raining at night i'll get some instances where i get some stuttering. i really want to run all my games maxed out and have the best possible frames as i can.
Rain at night is the maximum possible graphics load in a racing sim. I would suggest that you simply turn down a few settings in these situations (after all, it is dark, so you probably won't notice) and deal with the (excellent) hardware you currently have.

Anything else is throwing money at the "problem" for very little gain.

Yes i would also wait and turn the detail a little bit down until then.

crysis at 3840 max is not possible this time, even with 2 8800u.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2007, 16:43 

Crysis on high settings at 1280x1024 is barely possible on my rig listed below. Forget about very high as it's a slideshow. The nextgen cards can't get here fast enough. A computer that can run Crysis in triplehead is at least 2 years off.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2007, 18:11 

hey guys, yea i think i'm gonna wait till the next gen of nvidia cards, although i just read somewhere that they aren't gonna focus on a new card, but gonna focus on 3 way sli. idk if its true or not but it looks like 2 cards doesn't do to much so i hope this is false. however i just beat crysis and was able to run it on high no prob, i turned the shadows down to medium and the game ran sweet, really no complaints at all, and with th2g res. i've never had problems with first person shooters, only racing games, i think they are the most demanding on a computer for the most part, they are always going a million miles a minute with no break, throw in traffic and i feel racing games hard the hardest to run maxed out.

i know its up to the developers to intergrate sli, but anyone have their own opinion on the matter, is it really just a waste of money. if i was to do sli, i would just go with another 8800gts 640 oc, they aren't too expensive and would hold me off till the next gen cards come out. anyone with sli, please let me know your opinion of how a second card improves gameplay at all. i really hope the next gen cards come out sooner rather then later.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2007, 19:20 

if anything I would blame your cpu. if that game can't handle multi-cores it could explain the studder. That or maybe more ram? Games are using more and more space. Just a thought before you toss another $300 out.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2007, 03:18 

hey skeeder, i have an intel core 2 quad 2.4 GHz, you that could be the cause, i could always get more ram, what would you say, get more ram or you think the cpu is to blame. thanks

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 10:52 

ould always get more ram, what would you say, get more ram or you think the cpu is to blame. thanks

Neither is.

If one 8800gtx can do 1280 max quality then triple sli could probably do 3 x 1280, when there is a good sli profile and the posibility of using 3 gfx.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 18:35 

Dell used to have an XPS siystem with 4 dual chip Nvidia GPUs.