Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 19:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SGU v2.07
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2008, 18:18 

Hi All,

SGU v2.07 was just released for download:
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/surroundgaming/en/downloads/sgu/#

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2008, 19:36 
Editors
Editors

Thanks Mark ...
I made this an announcement ... 8)

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 01:01 
Editors
Editors

12 new titles from v2.06, 10 of which have native support :)

Age of Conan - Hyborian Adventures
America's Army
ARCA Sim Racing
Dungeon Runners
FlightGear
Flyboys Squadron (you just need a patch)
FSR (French Street Racing)
Lego Indiana Jones - The Original Adventures
Powerboat GT
Terrorist Takedown 2
TrackMania Nations Forever
X-Plane v9.00

Hopefully it's real, playable native support, not à la Doom3 here and there...
Anyway, there's a couple games here I never heard of before (Powerboat GT, yum!) :)

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 01:43 

Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't a game supporting TH2G's res. natively basically make that app. pointless for it?

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 09:57 
Editors
Editors

You're totaly right :lol: That's why I bothered comparing both versions' games lists, so that you can decide whether you need this update or not...

On the other hand, the less tweaking you need to do for new games, the better.

And by the way, Powerboat GT is just another name of Aquadelic GT, which was already present in SGU v2.05 I think. The game's name depends on the region I guess. Will post screenies in the appropriate section right away.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 15:33 

Thanks guys! :)

Good to see everyone's on the ball!

I was meaning to list the new titles added later today, but thanks for beating me to it!

The "native support" functionality is intentional to "phase out" the necessity of the SGU gradually. The objective is that most games will have native support and the SGU list will eventually become simply our "supported games list".

To get a pass as native support, the game must actually be enjoyable with TH2Go. We have upped the standards since Doom 3, and as a gamer myself I won't let a title onto our list unless I feel it's a pleasure to play in TH.

FOV and RES are taken into strong consideration as well as HUD/UI. Although HUD/UI are 3rd priority, we have also been lobbying devs to include optimizations for this as well.

The majority of the natively supported titles added are native by design. I.e. the devs actually took the time to make them that way for the user's benefit.

The goal, after all, is to make the TH experience just as plug&play as a 30" monitor for example -- and we don't see Samsung or LG bundling "SGU-type" game optimization software for their panels do we? :lol:

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 18:53 

Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't a game supporting TH2G's res. natively basically make that app. pointless for it?
Pretty much. I never use the SGU anyway, even if the game is not natively supported; I prefer to edit config files myself.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 22:53 

Same here, which is why I hate .exe mods for games. I hate things changing stuff without telling me what they change, if at least they'd disclose everything or always give you a manual option.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2008, 00:00 
Editors
Editors

Erm, for every config change the SGU can do to your installed games, you can see exactly what's gonna be altered and where. Just click Optimize then Details. You can then decide to apply the changes or not, and can always roll everything back to defaults. Very simple and pretty neat :)

The biggest issue to me is the program failing to find the config files for some games. You've played the game before but the SGU keeps urging you to run it to create config files it will then be able to modify... :?

I don't normally use the SGU either but it's great to have a growing list of officially supported games - with very few needing actual editing, even though this may sound like a paradox...

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2008, 01:30 
Insiders
Insiders

Well... although I know that Mark B is (I assume) not responsible for Matrox priority setting, he is, unfortunately for him, our only point of contact. So sorry for this Mark:

The time spent iterating SGU is an absolutely waste of resources. How about this Matrox: Fix the anemic and useless PowerDeskSE?? I buy a $300 piece of hardware and have to then spend MORE money buying Ultramon as PowerDeskSE is so bad as to be less than useless for multi-desktop non-gaming computing.

Worst of all, the primary thing I need it for, bezel management, is broken. I have to constantly reset the hotkey because it does not stick.

Mark... please let us know when this outdated and bug-ridden product will be updated.

*flame off* :D

i7-4770k @4ghz

16GB Ram

Planar SA2311W 3D Vision monitors (x3)

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1