Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 20:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2008, 21:35 

Hi there,

I have just tried out nHancer in FSX with no joy. I restored my origional nVidea driver profiles and then removed nHancer. when I thenloaded up FSX every thing was fine except the broken taxi lines at an airport were like the proverbial "Christmas Tree" lights, moving and flashing. The unbroken taxi lines were fine.

After all else failed I reinstalled my nVidea driver but still to no avail. Now many years ago I remember the same thing happened and ther was a solution but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was.

I might add that prior to loading nHancer everything was working perfectly so I feel that what has happened is that some setting has been changed which causes this problem.

My sincere thanks for any help.

Toni

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2008, 00:02 

Your nVidia driver installation does not remove the profile file when you uninstall the drivers. This is the same file nHancer writes to, so if you uninstalled nHancer without reverting the settings, your nVidia driver will still try to use the nHancer settings even if you reinstall the driver. It can also sometimes get confused if there is more than 1 profile in the file, which sometimes happens with nHancer.

Here's how to fix it:

1. Uninstall the nVidia driver.
2. Reboot.
3. Stop windows from proceeding with driver installation after it detects the video card.
4. Delete c:windowssystem32nvapps.xml (this is the profile file).
5. Reinstall the nVidia driver (this recreates the default nvapps.xml file).

If this doesn't fix the problem, then it's not related to nHancer.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2008, 02:05 

Many thanks for your reply.

When you say "If I uninstalled nHancer without reverting the settings" I assume you mean that I may not have used the "Restore Origional Driver Profiles" option before uninstalling but I actually did as I read the manual carefully before I started anything.

I carried out what you suggested to the letter (twice), but I am afraid without any luck. As I said in my previous message I feel that it is just some small setting that was changed by eHancer and needs to be ether restored to what it was or adjusted.

I am afraid that with uninstalling and reinstalling the nVidia driver I have created another problem for myself. I am using the Matrox TripleHead2Go on three monitors (Res.3840 by 1024)and have a small fourth monitor (Res.1024 by 768) on top for Gauges which is using the same card. When I go to "Display Properties-Settings" and select my three monitors as the "primary monitor" and the fourth monitor as "Extend my Windows Desktoponto this Monitor" and the start any program it displays itself on the fourth monitor and has to be dragged down to the three monitors. The only reason I can see why this is happening is that the identity number shown for the three monitors is "2" and the identity number for the fourth monitor is "1". Is it possable to reverse these numbers or has this anything to do with it at all. I might add again that before I involved myself in trying out nHancer I did not have this problem ether !!

Again many thanks for any help

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2008, 17:16 

Yeah, restoring the original profiles is what I meant.

Sorry that didn't work, though. Do you have screenshots of the problem?

As far as the primary monitor problem:
Go into your nVidia control panel and select Setup Multiple Displays under the Display section. You can set which monitor is primary under there.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2008, 21:11 

Again many thanks for your reply.

I am afraid that I have tried to insert a picture without success, however, I will try to describe what happens as best I can. When you are parked at or flying over an airport all of the taxi lines which are normally just straight or curved fixed white lines become moving flashing lines just like tracer bullets travelling along the direction of the taxi lines. This as you can appreciate makes it nearly impossable to use airports. Since my last message I have continued making all sorts of changes with the AA , AF and mipmaps and changing changes in the display area of FSX without success.

As regards the Primary Monitor problem I have sorted that out by removing the fourth monitor alltogether,switching off and then booting up which left the Three monitors as "No.1" , Closing down again and then reinstalling the fourth monitor again which made it the "No.2" and the programs are now starting up on the three monitors properly.

Any further ideas on the taxi lines ?

[/img]

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 17:21 

Is 'Preview DX10' checked in the game's display settings? If so, uncheck it.

Solution found here:
http://www.simforums.com/forums/printer_friendly_posts.asp?TID=25343

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2008, 20:35 

My thanks for your interest and help.

I am afraid that I had seen these comments and many more from various forums around and as I do not use Vista, I use XP Pro SP3, so that this option is not offered.

As I have said from trying to find an easy solution I scoured any forum or site that even mentioned a simular problem with nHancer and as you probably know there are quite a few.However none of them seemed to find a solution and the mail on most of them more or less finished where it started.

I could not see any alternative so I saved as much as I could of FSX and then unloaded it and made a clean reload. I have spent the last two days reloading all of my software etc. and at last have got my system back to wherer it was before I loaded nHancer.

My conclusion is this. When I loaded eHancer it worked perfectly as a tweak to control the nVidia card and opened up a lot of options that were not available from the nVidia Control Panel , however, I lost approx. 25% FPS no matter what recommended combination of settings I used . Now I could not afford to loose any FPS's as with my setup ( TH2Go, 11 Simkit Gauges, 10 GoFlight Modules, TrackIR, Buttkicker etc. ) I need every FPS I can get. To give you an idea , with my normal setup I get 18 to 25 in fairly large airports or cities with heavy scenery and 30 to 40 in the country. With eHancer the optimum I could get was 12 to 17 and 20 t0 28 respectivly.

I would not in any way say that eHancer is not a good program and I take my hat off to the guys that created and programed it, BUT you have to have a system that suits it and obviosly I am one of the ones who has not.

Again my sincere thanks for your kind help.

Toni