Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 Sep 2024, 00:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2009, 00:49 

Hello there

I was asked this question from a friend who owns a pizza place.

What he is wanting to do is put up three 42/50" plasma screens on top his serving counter which would basically run the food menu and special offers and meal deals etc ( jpeg slideshow or a powerpoint presentation etc., something similar ).
And if possible, he would rather prefer a laptop than a desktop.
Technically, what I could understand about TH2G was that I could get 3 screens of 1280 X 1024 or 3X1280 X 1024 = 3840 X 1024 overall.
Buying 3 decent plasma screens ( with DVI inputs )and the TH2G with a decent laptop ( with a DVI output ), would that do the job or am I missing some technical aspect of the situation ? ( like refresh rate etc. )
I came across a setup similar to this but that had 2 projectors running a flight simulator.
Any help/suggestion/comment/idea would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2009, 03:11 

Yes totally doable.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2009, 03:20 

Yes totally doable.

I second that

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2009, 18:42 

I wouldn't suggest a plasma - heavy, not the brightest option, uses a lot of power and outputs a lot of heat. Also susceptible to screen burn if it the menu stays static too long.

I'd get large HD LCDs ... but you can get low end ones. Just make sure the viewing FOV is good.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 00:52 
Insiders
Insiders

Hello there

I was asked this question from a friend who owns a pizza place.

What he is wanting to do is put up three 42/50" plasma screens on top his serving counter which would basically run the food menu and special offers and meal deals etc ( jpeg slideshow or a powerpoint presentation etc., something similar ).
And if possible, he would rather prefer a laptop than a desktop.
Technically, what I could understand about TH2G was that I could get 3 screens of 1280 X 1024 or 3X1280 X 1024 = 3840 X 1024 overall.
Buying 3 decent plasma screens ( with DVI inputs )and the TH2G with a decent laptop ( with a DVI output ), would that do the job or am I missing some technical aspect of the situation ? ( like refresh rate etc. )
I came across a setup similar to this but that had 2 projectors running a flight simulator.
Any help/suggestion/comment/idea would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Will it only be used to do desktop 2D apps like PowerPoint? If so, no need to spend extra money on a TH2G. TH2G is only for tricking DirectX or OpenGL games into playing across all screens. In the case of a 2D desktop app like PowerPoint you can run it without needing a 3D mode. Just maximize the picture to each screen or run an instance of PowerPoint maximized in each screen. In your example they can behave like 3 separate screens and do not need to pretend to be one big screen in order to work. Just buy some type of SLI motherboard and fill the motherboard with as many video cards needed as you need video outs for screens. 1 video card can run up to 2 screens, 2 video cards can run up to 4 screens, 3 video cards can run up to 6 screens.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 23:03 

I wouldn't suggest a plasma - heavy, not the brightest option, uses a lot of power and outputs a lot of heat. Also susceptible to screen burn if it the menu stays static too long.

I'd get large HD LCDs ... but you can get low end ones. Just make sure the viewing FOV is good.

Also, you can't tilt them very far without ruining them and if one breaks you've got (literaly) a toxic mess in the middle of a restaurant. Don't get plasma.