Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 12:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2009, 15:11 

i started looking for a mount in which i can put my monitors on. 3 22" widescreen acer x223w monitors which id like to be mounted horizontally, alot of options out there but i wanted to see what the community had for suggestions or experiences with mounts to point me in the right direction 8) thanks

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2009, 18:31 

Here's what I'm currently making.

Made from 2"x4" and 4"x4" wood. Sturdy as hell. I hate wobbly monitor stands. Driving can be.. vigorous at times... :p

By atledreier at 2009-08-10

By atledreier at 2009-08-10

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2009, 19:42 

Hi

If you have the tools and the skills, I suggest building your own.
One of the main reasons is that by doing this, you can hinge the base so that the monitors can be lined up straight or angled when needed.
Many games simply look odd with the monitors angled, imo. I noticed that lines that should appear straight, go off at unnatural angles with the monitors angled. Things such as wings of a biplane, instrument panels, the dash of a car, the lines of a race track/street, building walls, etc.
With them lined up straight, they appear far more natural and realistic looking.

Then when you are working in Windows programs, you can angle then for easier viewing. This is especially true for larger monitors.

To test it for yourself, simply line them up in a straight line and play some games for a while. If you then angle them again, it becomes very clear how distored they then look.

I didn't find any tri-monitor stand that easily allows straight and angled adjustments changes. So I built my own.

Oh yeah. I made mine moveable forward and back too, so no matter what game I'm playing, I can have the optimal distance between me and the screens. Like with a flight sim, I am closer to the edge of my desk than I am with a race sim. Thus I can slide the whole monitor mounting base forwards when I hook up my wheel and then move it back when I am using the joystick for flight sims as well as when I am in Windows or playing shooters.

I strongly suggest, if at all possible, don't limit the position of the monitors by making or buying a static hard mount.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 11:14 

Butch, I'd love to se some pictures of your mount.

I'm ordering timper for my build today, and any last minute changes should be implemented asap.. :)

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 15:07 

yea id like to see it as well, might give me some ideas.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 18:27 

Hi

I don't have a digital camera.
I know, who doesn't have one these days. Heck I don't have a cell phone either. Just two things I have had no need for. LOL, I have a old 35mm camera that hasn't been out of it's case since 2000.
Although I have been considering getting a digital camera. I'm thinking of putting some stuff on ebay.

The project included a new desk top as well as the stand. I have one of those corner desk, but it wasn't deep enough to have the monitors straight while keeping a nice distance from the edge. So I used top grade plywood to build a new top that extended out 17.75" (forwards) beyond what the original was.

The stand its self is built from 2x2's and 1/2" plywood.
The only real drawback is that I would have to alter it, if I ever changed monitors to some other size or design. Hopefully that is something I won't have to do for many years though.

When I get a camera, I will be sure to post some shots.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2009, 21:50 

It would be a lot easier to make a nice stable wide and flat base to put your monitors on with their bases, and have the seat be able to go up and down like most office chairs.

It's eye-level to monitor that's important. :)

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2009, 15:30 

Hi Zalbarthemad

In may case distance from the monitors is important too. I am using 3 25.5" panels and need to be back from them a good bit. However, I'm too far back when my wheel is hooked up. Over 2 feet further back then I am when I have my joystick hooked up or when I am playing a shooter or simply in windows programs.

I did consider doing exactly what you said and just building a base, leaving my monitor stands on and moving each of them around as needed. But the more I thought about that, the more I was put off by the fact that everytime I moved them, I would have to get them all lined back up again.

Since I switch up games a lot, playing race sims, flight sims and shooters, plus using windows, I came up with a better solution to my problem. It wasn't as simple to build, but worked out much better, so it was worth the effort.

Now no matter how far away from my normal sitting position (as I am now while typing this), I can always have them at a optimal distance. I can now achieve this quickly and easily with my monitors always aligned where they need to be. Having the mounting base split and hinged together allows for easy movement of the whole assembly at once. And then I can angle the outer two as much as I want, or align all of them straight for gaming as easily as opening/closing a cabinet door.

Having my eyes to monitor distance of about 3 feet is ideal for me. I can always maintain this distance now, no matter if I'm up close to my desk (again like I am now while typing and when flying/fps gaming) of sitting at 2+ feet further back when racing (my wheel mounted to my desk), my eyes can always be the distance from the screen that I best prefer. And I can have my monitors lined up straight or angled instantly with no fuss.

The design took a bit of thought and the construction took a bit of work, but the results more than make up for it ;)

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2009, 16:09 

Any chance of some photos or use MSPaint to give us a look :D

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2009, 17:49 

Hi i made my own virtual cockpit in one day .... all you need is some space that can get dirty like a garage and powertools.
Made it out of mdf and then painted it ...(hm the painting took more then one day...)
Here are some pics [/img]

and one more...

The design is very simple and you only need one mdf board to make it.
The seat you can buy online for 100 euro and the mdf was 20 euro so how much cheaper can you make it....
The monitors i put on a dell stand that wasnt cheap but its quality and very versatile.
Look at the finished product ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJK1vSRwgXM

I put it on Big wheels also so now its the same level as my desk... and easy to move for cleaning.
Hope i could help yo with this....
oh btw here is where i bought the seat : http://www.fullcartuning.nl/zoekresultaten.php?intCatID=3&intSubID=2&intMerk=0