Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 06:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 16:16 

Hi Guys,

Been visiting here since coming over from console gaming(please no laughing I didn't know better then.)
and I about to go with 3 screens and even after reading here for days and days it seems I'm no closer to making a decision, and with the announcement from nvidia @ CES just made things harder.

I only play race sims and currently my system specs are.

INTEL C2D E8600 OC 4.25GHz, EVGA 780SLI MOBO, NVIDIA GTX260, CREATIVE XTREME GAMER S/CARD, 4GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR PC8500, NZXT PRECISION POWER 1000 Watt PSU.

I'm wondering if getting a second GTX260 and using softth until nVidia release there solution would be the most cost effective way to go, or sell the GTX260 I have and get the ATI 5870 eyefinity solution.It seems they all have plus and minus points, I have used softth to run in windowed mode across duel displays ( 22" widescreen 19" 5.4 ) not to play but just to see how it looked (hence why after just seeing it I realised how beneficial it is) so I'm after some advice from the best people I thought I could get it from.

Thanks for all your time in advance.

Dice.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 17:39 
Founder
Founder

Nothing wrong with console gaming. I own all three, and only consoles have the full-band GH/RB games or DJ Hero.

If you want three screens today, then Eyefinity is the way to go (I'd go with the 5870 versus the 5970). I don't think that the GTX260 is going to give you the performance you want in three screens in SoftTH (having tested the GTX275 and GTX295), and you can't use SLI in SoftTH.

If you want to wait to see how the NV solution is going to pan out, then you might pick up a 2nd GTX260 at that time. Also, that will allow you to see how the NV solution works vs. Eyefinity. And, by then the Eyefinity6 card from ATI might be out as well by then.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010, 16:58 

Nothing wrong with console gaming. I own all three, and only consoles have the full-band GH/RB games or DJ Hero.

If you want three screens today, then Eyefinity is the way to go (I'd go with the 5870 versus the 5970). I don't think that the GTX260 is going to give you the performance you want in three screens in SoftTH (having tested the GTX275 and GTX295), and you can't use SLI in SoftTH.

If you want to wait to see how the NV solution is going to pan out, then you might pick up a 2nd GTX260 at that time. Also, that will allow you to see how the NV solution works vs. Eyefinity. And, by then the Eyefinity6 card from ATI might be out as well by then.

Thanks for the advice Ibrin, after some more eyefinity research I'm wondering if it would be worth waiting for the 5870 2gb cards to appear, or should I just get a 5870 1gb card now?

I hope I didn't offend anyone with the console comment, I should have mentioned I only play race sims and they seem to be night and day in difference.

Dice.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 05:02 
Founder
Founder

Really depends on how quickly you need the 3-mon fix. We know that 2GB cards are coming at some point. We just don't know when.

You didn't offend anyone. Most everyone here probably owns one console or another (or has at some point).