Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 22:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 21:29 
Insiders
Insiders

I know this has been brought up before, but all of the research I've found just writes it off as necessary. But here's the thing, as multi-monitor (and curved/awkward-projector-setup monitor) gaming continues to move into the mainstream, we're left accepting the fact that the games assume our monitor is flat. Unfortunately, keeping my 3x16:9 monitors flat is a little impractical. With bezels, it comes out to a 5.6 aspect ratio.

I know that this perspective problem affects any non-flat monitor. What I'm wondering is, is there anything that can be done about it? Do we, as consumers, have to voice our distaste? I wonder if there's possibly a Direct3D layer or something (not very familiar with Direct3D) that would allow for proper camera distortion? I doubt many companies are going to spend time developing and adding a configuration utility for our group and iRacing seems to be the only game I've seen that that does have one.

Keeping multiple monitors flat is impractical for most. Isn't there anything that can be done?

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 23:37 
Insiders
Insiders

Somebody made a plugin for softTH that corrects edge distortion. They tested it out with Prototype and posted comparison screenshots. Unfortunately there is no way to get this working on the Triplehead2Go or Eyefinity.

I have no idea where that thread is on this forum anymore, sorry.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 00:07 
Insiders
Insiders

Thank you. It seems there's little real concern over this problem so I'm glad to know that at least some people are looking into it.

Oh wait, I just realized you might be talking about Racer_S and his attempts at a solution. I liked where he was going with that but it looked like his solution would also cause UI problems. Every solution in this sector seems to have compromises but I see no reason why we should need compromises. If the guys at iRacing can make this work, I don't see why others can't.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 17:31 

Could it work with a D3D hook? (that would only be possible in Single-Player though)

PostPosted: 01 May 2010, 09:13 
Insiders
Insiders

Could it work with a D3D hook? (that would only be possible in Single-Player though)

Wish I knew enough about D3D to tell you, but I'd be happy with just single player working. Really, whatever gets this to feel like virtual reality. I just got some anaglyph glasses in the mail and it's a REAL treat to have 3D working with Eyefinity, even if the colors are a bit wonky. Would be that much better with proper proportions on everything.

PostPosted: 01 May 2010, 12:36 
Founder
Founder

I think the real fix will need to come from the developers. Hopefully lobbying from people like us and folks at ATI and NVIDIA will help make that happen, as multi-monitor becomes more popular.

PostPosted: 04 May 2010, 03:33 
Insiders
Insiders

I think the real fix will need to come from the developers. Hopefully lobbying from people like us and folks at ATI and NVIDIA will help make that happen, as multi-monitor becomes more popular.

But I sincerely doubt that developers would be willing to develop their own solutions. Maybe if there was some sort of standard or protocol, similar to the way in which games can access your computer's list of resolutions. If ATI and nVidia, both companies with serious money invested in multi-screen technology, could work together to come up with a proper solution, I think that will fix things entirely. Though, with 3D becoming the big thing and perspective-oriented technology coming to fruition (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw) it seems like it might be worthwhile to get this fixed so that home VR becomes an actual reality.

I can't wait for the day in which you can plop yourself down in front of a display setup and it feels like you're looking through a window. But it will only come when we have correct screen and viewer location information.