Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 10:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 17:30 

(Bigger center but same resolution.)

I've seen one or two users on these boards mention they've tried, but pictures and observations on experience would be really helpful.

I ran 3x25.5" Surround and I always thought it made no sense that the screen sizes were the same. Given the angled orientation, it makes the center screen look smaller, which is illogical since the focus is on the main screen. And the fisheye effect is kind of distracting given the equal sizes of the other screens. PLP would of course be optimal, but we all know that's never happening with either company.

I did a basic Photoshop diagram and 27" with 2x22" 16:9 monitors seemed like it would look good but I have no idea how much I might be distracted by the mismatched content, even with the main screen being bigger.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 17:02 

Well I get the 27" last night after some weather delays, so I only had a couple hours to try it out, but so far I'm very pleased with this way of doing things.

Running 22"+27"+22", my perception of fisheye effect is much reduced and it is far easier to focus on the center monitor, compared with my previous 25.5"x3 setup. This is using Bad Company 2, even though it crashes every 5 minutes thanks to the new patch causing issues with three monitors in the base game. The immersion factor doesn't seem lessened, as I can still easily glance at the side monitors to make out what's going on, and it's the motion of all three monitors that forms an impression as I dart around.

I suspect that this is really good for any FPS, which is what matters to me. But it may not be optimal for simulators, where you want an even, unbroken panoramic view and you're looking at fairly static images much of the time. I'll check out Wings of Prey tonight and see if this hunch holds up.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 20:05 

Any photos of the setup?

I had a hell of a time just getting 3 identical monitors to work. I'd be interested in subbing out my middle 19" monitor if this works.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 22:05 

Yup:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=22101