Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 06:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 3 moniter help needed
PostPosted: 13 Aug 2011, 06:30 

helloo, i want to set up 3 moniters for gaming ever since i saw how epic it can be with driving games. Im not sure if im even posting in the right area so let me know where to ask if this isnt the place D; So yeah as i said i want to set up 3 moniters atm i have an asus VH232H 23" and an asus VE248H 24" my graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460. From what i know ill need another graphics card for the 3rd moniter and i was thinking of getting another VH232H and use those 2 as the side moniters and the 24" as the clearer centre moniter. Since i have absolutely no idea what im doing, i want to know how my computer will run with 3 moniters. What games work on 3 moniters and how is it done? Theres probably stuff im forgetting but if i get a reply to this it might come to me, thanks heaps for checkin this out :)

Post subject: Hi Boulos and welcome on
PostPosted: 13 Aug 2011, 10:13 

Hi Boulos and welcome on WSGF. :)

I don't know if something has chhanged in the last year but afaik there are three options:

1. AMD Eyefinity (won't work for you since it needs a Radeon 5xxx or above and three monitors identical in resolution)
2. nvidia surround (then you need SLI and three monitors identical in resolution)
3. SoftTH

For your Rig SoftTH is the option. Then you only need a small and cheap dummy card to connect the third monitor and it will work with different resolutions (23/24/23) too. You may have a lok here:

http://www.kegetys.net/SoftTH/

In general a GTX460 will be a limiter in the newest games since triplehead need massive VRAM and GPU-power to perform well.

Cheers
Blue

Intel i7 980X | MSI Big Bang Xpower X58 | 12GB G.Skill Pi Black DDR3-1600 | Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X 2GB | 2x Intel X-25M 160GB | SB X-Fi | Seasonic X-750 | Silverstone FT01 black | 3x HP ZR24w @ 5760x1200 Triplehead

AMD X2 4800+ | Gigabyte K8N Ultra-SLI | 2GB Kingston VS DDR1-400 | Zotac GTX260 AMP! + Gigabyte 8400GS | 3x Samsung HD 2.1TB | SB X-Fi | Seasonic M12-600 | Chieftec CS-601 blue | Dell 2407WFP + Dell 1707FP Dualhead

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2011, 19:37 

Fourth option is the Matrox Triple head to go box. Has similar limitations as Nvidia surround as far as resolutions as well as more limits, a little outdated. But still an option.