Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 06:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2012, 19:13 

Today i got my first 3x1 setup up and running. Eager i started battlefield 3 to test it out. It worked well , or that is, until i started to move around. I noticed that the sidescreens are very unclear (kinda distorted) during high motion, like quickly looking around or flying a jet. This i assume is just the way it will be, and that it shouldnt matter, cause you are not supposed to look at the sides, only the main centre screen.

However my main issue is with the main centre screen, while looking quickly around or while flying, the centre screen looks alot worse then it did when i played on 1 single monitor only. Its hard to describe, but it feels like it a thin film of water over the screen, sometimes it feels like playing with 15 fps (even though i have 100).....so i was hoping for some help in looking at the 3 following issues/questions.

1) Is it normal that the main centre screen will be distorted/or lower quality when running eyefinity compared to single monitor setup?

2 Could someone look at my HW and setup to see if there are any obvious faults?

-Intel i7 860 CPU
-4 GB RAM
-Radeon HD 6990
-3x Benq G2450

My HD 6990 has 1 DVI and 4 mini DP output. I have the following cable setup

Centre screen : DP -> active DP to DVI adapter -> duel link DVI cable -> monitor
Left screen : DVI port -> single link DVI cable -> Monitor
Right screen : DP -> passive DP to DVI adapter -> single link DVI cable -> monitor

I am running battlefield 3 at 70-120 FPS at the current settings.

3) Does anyone have any experience with battlefield 3 in eyefinity where the centre monitor shows everything crystal clear and perfect like it is on one monitor setup?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2012, 20:19 
Insiders
Insiders

Got a picture? That is not common behavior. It literally should be like you got more view to the scene from one monitor to 3.
But the sides are normally stretched. It varies from game to game, but in general, if there is only one camera making the scene, it will stretch on the sides.

Here's some good reading: http://widescreengamingforum.com/forum/7185/bars-between-screens-and-side-screen-distortion-please-read

This applies to all multi-display gaming solutions, not just the TH2Go.
[i.e. SoftTH, TH2Go, Surround, Eyefinity, MView, etc.]

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2012, 21:14 

Hi and thanks for the reply, didnt understand your answer though, you might have misunderstood my problem. The view is allright, but when there is any fast motion it gets close to impossible to see anything on the side screens and the main middle screen gets blurry, its like the picture is beeing teared somehow....

Anyways, noticed another thing. In vids and pictures it seems like most ppl have there side monitors lined up at an angle compared to the main middle screen. Assumed this was how it should be. I am testing out battlefield 3 atm and if i have the side monitors at an angle the lines between main and side monitor gets real strange. Look at the picture below for explination.

If you look at the straight line going across the screen. The only way to get that line to "line up" on the side monitors is to put them side by side at no angle. That makes it more natural to look at. If i put the side monitors at an angle that line would break at an angle when it goes into the side monitor and i almost get sea sick by looking at it cause it feels like things are folding around me when i move forward.....

Is this normal? Cause i always assumes that the side monitors should be put at an angle.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2012, 23:22 
Insiders
Insiders

The blurriness is what I was calling strange. This does not happen normally. Though, I tend to turn off all blur effects in games because it make my eye de-focus and distracts me greatly.
The blur effect might be more potent when effecting the whole scene on exaggerated aspect ratios. Id see if turning off blur effects helps, or turning them down if the option exist.

With the line issue, I used to have the same issue. For a time I kept my monitor straight, though when I upgraded to 23"rs I turned them in because it was more immersive. I then started to ignore more of what happened on the outer screens as they are more for immersion and maybe seeing a guy off to the side, or seeing cars sneak up on you etc.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2012, 23:42 
Founder
Founder

Can you take a pic with a digital camera or cameraphone and post that?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2012, 23:50 
Administrators
Administrators

Isn't this just the motion blur setting in game that is exaggerated on Eyefinity? Just loading the game up now on my Eyefinity 3x1 to check.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2012, 00:22 
Administrators
Administrators

Ok so I want you to be in game, bring up the menu and go to the Video tab. Turn the Motion Blur all the way off and tell me if this fixes your problem.