Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 17:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Colorimeter?
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 04:10 

Does anyone here have experience with colorimeters and multi monitor gaming? Are they a worthy investment? I'm going to be using it for photoshop, illustrator, and other graphic design work too, not just gaming, but alot of my friends are in the same field, and they seem to get by without one.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 14:36 

I have a Spider 3 Pro. It will do multiple monitors nicely, but requires the software to be running for that. Windows doesn't like the idea of different profiles per monitor for some reason. When the software overrides, it works perfectly.

Don't get an Express version - those don't support multiple monitors.

To be honest, if your friends do serious work requiring colour reliability, they're not doing their jobs well if they're not calibrating their screens.

Post subject: Well they are students
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 22:13 

Well they are students stuying to be a concept artist. They are very good, but ya, I'm surprised nobody decided to get a calibrator or at least pool their money for one.

So software is needed, but otherwise I can use the pro on multiple monitors and computers right?

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 22:29 

The software comes with the colorimeter (and is in fact the only difference between models afaik). How many pc's you can use it on depends on the license. It requires online activation these days. It used to be a license for all screens in one home. Don't know if that's changed with the activation stuff though.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 11:46 

I think I might pick up the Datacolor DC S3SR100 Spyder 3 Print SR or a comparable printer & LCD calibrator. I had a project this last weekend for class and the "orange" that came out of my printer was disgusting. Didn't look like my screen at all. I'm gonna look into how many computers I can install it on first though.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2011, 07:44 

I'm calibrating my monitors with the Elite as I type this. I bought the studio SR because there is currently a rebate for it and I figure what the hell.

Man, I don't know if things are more "accurate" since I've been looking at the same settings for 2 years, but they seem to match much better now! I'm going to try this on my X220 with the IPS screen.

Now that I have calibrated all of them individually, will I have to worry about redoing it in eyefinity mode? I heard sypder overides any ATI or monitor settings so that it shouldnt be needed.

Right?