Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Sep 2024, 15:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Changing to PLP
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 10:48 

Hi All,

I've been reading alot about PLP and with a 30" currently in use it's the way I want to go. At this stage I don't see the ability of ANY GPU sufficiently powerful to power 3x30" at 60FPS in single gpu mode (most flight sims are not good in crossfire/SLI :( )

I was able to find 2x Dell 2007FP 1600x1200 monitors for $100 each on ebay Australia, they are on their way to me now, good deal etc..

So the options that I've discounted as not working:
-SLI - won't support PLP, set res only
-TripleHead2Go - won't support PLP, set res only
-Windowed mode only - some simulators HAVE to have Vsync with Trackir or else the tearing is terrible

Problem is I currently run a GTX 580 (only 1.5gb). So my choices I see them as:
1. Get a second Nvidia graphics card that runs on the same drivers - simply to connect the 3rd monitor. I *THINK* that any 3D apps will use your main card not secondary card to render 3D.
With this option I would use SoftTH, which I have heard is very good.. but can I use VSync on SoftTH?
2. Get a 7970 in January, run in the NEW Eyefinity 2 which is supposed to allow custom configurations.. but I want to see proof first :)

Is there any other options I have?
Have I got those two options above correct?

This is new territory for me and possibly costly, so any advice would be appreciated

Games I play:
Rise of Flight
IL-2 Cliffs of Dover
DCS series
X-Plane
ARMA2
Skyrim
Fallout New Vegas
Battlefield 3

Cheers

Post subject: You are correct. It's
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 12:44 
Insiders
Insiders

You are correct. It's basically SoftTH, Windowed Mode, or Wait and see if Eyefinity 2.0 will work that way.
Vsynch is available on SoftTH and many games aren't that hard to configure especially with strides in SofTH 2.0+

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 14:52 

Ahh that is excellent news VSync works, I guess since it replaces the dll it appears in fullscreen mode anyway with SoftTH even better.

But is it true SoftTH only supports Directx9? That would be limiting going forward.
Also my 1.5GB VRAM would limit me a bit.

I'm seriously considering the 7970 but just concerned about driver support. The developers at 777 (Rise of Flight) had been trying to contact AMD for a long time for some assistance in Crossfire etc but no response, where NVidia gave them all the support they could ever need. Nvidia is then of course working much better than AMD cards in Rise of Flight as a result. From other things I hear other games have some different issues with AMD as well. I hope with the new driver set and team going forward AMD will pickup their game on the drivers.

But it might come down to a hardware choice in the end, if I can truly run fullscreen mode Eyefinity 2.0 with PLP, then that sells it I guess.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 10:05 

I've been reading rumours that PLP will not be supported in Eyefinity 2.0 - because even though custom resolution is allowed - it STILL has to be same orientation.

BUT I really want Eyefinity, it's going to work better than SoftTH going forward with all the directX 11 stuff coming out over the next year or two.

So I'm considering using the custom resolution of Eyefinity 2.0 in a different way.

I THINK I can do it like 4:3 portrait 2007FP (1600x1200) either side, with something like a 24"-27" 16:10 in the middle (1920x1200). That's a resolution of 5120x1200.
To me this is a compromise, it's not as crazy wide as 3x16:9 monitors or 3x16:10. It's still very wide, but at the same time 4:3 means I should be able to keep enough vertical view at the same time.

My 2007FPs have an LCD area height (landscape) of 31cm (12 inches), and a total height of 35cm (13.5 inches) so I need a 1920x1200 monitor that will be:
-Close to 31cm LCD height (12 inches), or a total height of 35cm (13.5 inches)
-Low response time for gaming
-Has Displayport input for good connection to Eyefinity without using adapter

Can anyone recommend a good center monitor that does the above?

Cheers