Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 07:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 04:09 

So I've spent hours today searching for monitor stands and just can't seem to find any for my setup. I was hoping someone might be able to make a suggestion.

I currently have 5 Asus 27" ve278q

I am only using three at the moment because I cannot find a stand to mount them portrait on my desk. Everything I find only supports up to 24". I understand finding a stand to support all five would either be expensive or hard to find. I would me happy with 5 independent stands similar to the factory Dell ones that rotate 90 degrees.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE 1/27:

I looked at the WSGF stand after the below recommendation and I just saw the following comment:

Additionally, the stand allows for a 5x1 Portrait installation using five 24" (16:10) monitors. The max width (in portrait orientation) is 15" wide. Please note that 27" and 30" monitors cannot be used in 5x1 Portrait.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 08:14 
Administrators
Administrators

:welcme
Have you considered this stand...
http://widescreengamingforum.com/article/wsgf-edition-ergotech-multi-monitor-stand ?

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 13:54 

Thanks for the quick response Delphium! I actually was considering it until I saw it was for 3x1 for 27". I would still need to figure out what to do with the other two monitors.

5x1-Portrait

The "standard" heavy duty stand is designed for just three monitors. The five segment bar on the WSGF edition allows for five monitors to be placed in a portrait orientation, with articulation between each panel. The stand will accommodate many 24" monitors in 5x1-Portrait. In this configuration, weight is the bigger issue (over screen size). The WSGF Edition will handle both the HP ZR2440w LED IPS monitor (14.5" height, and 10.8 pounds), and the Dell U2412M LED IPS monitor (14.25" height and 8.7 pounds). However, it will not handle the Dell U2410 IPS panel, as its weight of 14.3 pounds exceeds the weight limit of the bar.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 14:11 

okay, so after re-reading the article again I see it stated the bullet points were just a "suggestion" on what can be done with the setup. I decided to break out the tape measure and get actual measurements of the monitors. It appears that each monitor is exactly 15.5" wide. This is only half an inch more than the maximum width specified for a 5x1 configuration. I'm not if this is cutting it too close.

Is there any contact information for the bar configuration so I can discuss before making a purchase decision? I can't see to find any.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 21:42 

You need to also take into account the weight. The Asus 27" ve278q monitors weighs 14.33 pounds according to this link: http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VE278Q/#specifications

If you mount 5 that will be a combined weight of 71.65 pounds. I don't know if that's safe considering the bar is only rated for 60 pounds.

Edit: If you want more information about the WSGF stand you could try contacting Ibrin: http://widescreengamingforum.com/users/ibrin

I believe he worked with Ergotech to help design the stand and should be able to answer any specific questions.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 22:38 
Founder
Founder

Thanks everyone for helping with the info and discussion. The specs on the unit were set to ensure that there was a "good curve" on the portrait setup. You could probably deal with the 15.5" width, but it may "flatten" the monitors more than they were intended. I'm expecting that this would work, but I can't promise. Like was pointed out, the bigger issue would be the weight. The specs on the ASUS site can assumed to be with the stand (they don't indicate it without the stand). I would suggest taking off the stand and weighing the monitor yourself.

If the weight is within the limits, I *THINK* it would work for you - but I can't promise. I wouldn't be able to accept a return if the stand didn't fit your need, as your setup is beyond the specs of the unit. If a joint on the unit broke, I'm sure I could get you a replacement hinge, but neither the WSGF nor Ergotech can be responsible for any damage to your monitors. Worst case is you could use the stand for the middle three, and then use the included stands for the outer monitors.

I feel for your quandry. When I was working with Ergotron, I customized two of their multi-mon stands and hung them on the wall. I understand the desire to push products to their limits and beyond, but as with all mods there are some inherent risks for the modder (and their equipment).

Again, if the weight is okay (or very close), I think the width would be okay (though probably "flattened" and prone to tip over). Wish I could give you a more positive answer, but I also don't want to set false expectations.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 00:54 

Thank you all for all of your responses and it is greatly appreciated.

I also wasn't taking the weight into consideration.

I got on the phone with Chief's this afternoon (chiefmfg.com). They were saying the same thing about the weight. They recommended that I go with a different solution. I was advised that I may want to go the route of buying 2 stands to support four of the monitors and then a third stand of the fifth.

Whats the thought on this and does anyone have experience with this company?

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 01:53 
Founder
Founder

What would be the cost of those three stands? I don't have any experience with Chief products. Others on the forum might have. You can search the site to see what others might have said.

Post subject: From what I gathered on
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 02:14 

From what I gathered on amazon:

Pipe stands: $28 x 3

Single mount: $80

Dual mounts: $140 x 2

Mounting grommets: $45 x 3

Total is looking about $579

Post subject: I have the Chief
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 19:32 

I have the Chief KTP325b:

http://www.amazon.com/Chief-Widescreen-Triple-Monitor-KTP325/dp/B005B3VN7K

It looks like it's gone up quite a bit - I think I only paid about 225-240 last year.

A few points:

1. This stand is incredibly sturdy and I really like it.
2. It's just a hair too small (according to Chief) to mount most 27" screens (3 x Landscape) but I think that if you nest the side screens slightly behind the center screen, it is likely to work.
3. These products are highly modular and I have made a couple upgrades. First, the two stands are giant steel plates and while they do the job, they are smooth and tended to slide around and consume my desk space too much for my taste. Also, the 14" poles that it comes with were JUST enough - my desk is a bi-level and I had to have the monitor platform cranked up to get the screens where I like them.

4. First mod: I ordered a pair of the 28" poles so I could get the screens higher while keeping the back tier of my desk at the lowest setting. This reclaimed a lot of vertical space between the screens and my desk.

5. Second mod - I ordered the permanent mount grommets. Be careful when you order these - there is a 5" plate grommet and an 8" "bowl" shaped grommet with a pass through to let you run cables through the desk. Many sites use the 8" picture when selling the 5" plate and you end up not getting the cable pass through holes. I ordered mine from thefinalclick and when I pointed out the error, they actually sent me the (more expensive) 8" grommets via 2 day air at no extra charge (for the upgrade or shipping) and paid all the shipping on fixing it.

I absolutely LOVE this stand and with the mounting plates, it does something I have not seen any other stands do - I have 3 screens connected to 2 systems and you can see ZERO cables. It looks super clean.

I recommend the Chief products in general - their stuff is well made and very strong, but you need to make sure it works for your application.

Attached files