Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 21 Jun 2024, 21:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2012, 22:49 

I run a 5942x1080 setup. Powering it are two gtx 680's, a six core cpu clocked at 4.1ghz, 16 gigs of ram etc. I got plenty of power in my pc.

I have 3 1920x1080p screens all same model ( my total res of 5942 accounts for bezal correction).

When i tun Dayz i have all settings at full and set my res to 5942x1080 in windowed mode.

Due to nvidia being stupid and not doing product testing before releasing their products if u run two 680's in surround on a AMD 990 chipset u have to do so in windowed mode (which runs fine) because if u run full screen u get 5-7fps max no matter what game u play or settings u play it on which they have yet to fix after months of draging their feet or even release a possible cause.

The problem is when i got to play it downsizes my resolution to 50% rather than stay at 100%. While it runs fine with it at 100% as soon as i exit the settings menu it downsizes me.

I have the FOV correctly set and sometimes i can get the resolution to work while playing sometimes but only for a few min then it downsizes me again back to 50%.

I get 30+ fps when playing at 100% in city with alot going on so its not a performance issue from my hardwares power.

I have tryed using the config file to force my resolution but it keeps reverting back ingame and ignoring the config file.

The game other than that works great but the resolution downsizing me to 540p is horrible.

I also use windows boarderless gaming which takes a windowed screen and makes it into windowed fullscreen though the problem seams to occur both when i use it and when i do although slightly less when i dont but then i have the boarders around the screen.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 23:09 

Performance wise ArmA has always been sluggish. I've played that game genre for over a decade and have a ton of experience getting things to run right so here are a few suggestions.

Don't ever run ArmA on highest settings. I have better hardware then your current setup and I still don't prefer anything over medium settings for performance reasons, and the fact it's not really that different looking.

Also set Memory to "Default", not "High", as that is actually the highest setting, don't ask me why they did this...

The 100% setting is not the actual resolution, but more complexity of things at a distance. The higher the setting, distant objects increase in visual quality. Lower = a foggy/blurry like appearance. 100% is fine for this.

In your MyDocuments/ArmA files there are some config files that you can force set your res, by turning the file to a read only after specifying the resolution. Also don't forget if you want to make any changes graphically after you must turn back to writable.

I hope this helps at all..

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2012, 22:50 

I run this way, but just make sure my window is the correct size in game, then change the 3d to 100% each time i start the game. Although i dont get to use the 'bezel' feature, i do get to use my fourth monitor to display Teamspeak, and other stuff while playing.

Arma is funny, if you change the window size by even a pixel, the res goes down to some odd value. But its easy to fix as i said, simpy change it up to 100% again.

Oh, and if you got that problem in SLI, and want surround mode, full screen, just turn it off. I got a 670, and unless it got AA and view distance very high, it works good with single card.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2012, 20:27 
I Donated
I Donated

I have a 990FX chipset also and was unable to get GTX 680SLI working. After doing some looking around Nvidia claims the 990FX mother boards need a BIOS update to work correctly. Your games run fine in windowed mode because SLI or crossfire does not function in windowed mode. When you play a game in a window you are only using 1 GPU. I was lucky and have friend who let me borrow his GTX 680s to test before making a purchase. I now run HD 7970s in crossfire and have never looked back. I hope this helps.

Zowie EC1-A | Logitech G15 | Razer Nostromo | Windows 10 Pro x64