Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 06:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GPU Recommendations?
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2013, 00:05 

Hey!

I just recently got new monitors (3x U2312HM) and I just found out I have some extra money to spend on hardware, so I'm thinking new GPU(s).
I currently have 2x GTX560ti which isn't enough to play BF3/Crysis3 etc without lowering the resolution a lot.
I've always had nVidia and are quite happy with them but I'm open to AMD aswell.

What would be wiser today to buy? 2x670 2x680 690 or 2x7970?
The 7970 GHz's seem to do very well in raw performance but I'm a bit afraid after reading of microstutters and driver problems..?

Any suggestions? oh and I've got a Corsair HX850w PSU.

Post subject: Re: GPU Recommendations?
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2013, 11:39 

Hi,

I recently upgraded my GPU and was thinking along similar lines to you regarding the card to pick up. If you're looking in the price bracket of a 690 or a full on SLI config I'd recommend picking up aTitan instead. From the research I did it may not produce the same frame rates but it will be a smoother experience as the individual frame time is much more consistent. I've had my Titan for a week now and haven't had any problems running any of my games max settings triple screens (5760x1080) yet, though I don't have Crysis 3 ;) Far Cry 3, AC 3 both run absolutely fine. The Titan is also a very quiet card which is great if you don't like a whole load of fan noise when things get tough.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2013, 05:03 

you can check out anandtech and some other sites, but from my findings nvidia is kinda killing it with smoother multi card atm. performance wise the 7970s are taking the 670 by a few fps but depending on what 670 you get this isnt always the case.

i just picked up at an evga 670 ftw which is kinda taking the lead by a % or two. but i bought the 4gb version and you definitely pay for it, at $440 you can definitely get 7970s cheaper.

if you don't have an issue with the amd drivers the 7970s would be the better per $ recommend imo. Also with AMD cards you get a free copy of crysis 3 and bioshock infinite.. maybe you send one of each my way :D

personally we run AMD cards at work and i have enough hate for their driverset i popped for the nvidia even losing out on 2 free games, but its a personal choice

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2013, 17:41 
Editors
Editors

I'm running 7970CF for over a year now. In theory there seems to be a lot of microstutter but in reality I don't notice it every much. But maybe your eyes are more sensitive.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2013, 18:04 

Allright, thanks. I'm kinda leaning towards 2x Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 GHz since they cost less than a pair of 670 4GB and seem to outperform them every single time. Has anyone tried RadeonPro? Apparently it's supposed to get rid of any noticable micro-stutter?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 10:11 
Editors
Editors

Yes it does.
Check out the Microstutter resolved thread for more Info's.
At smartphone right now soii can't link it sorry.

But as I said I don't see difference with activated double vsync, works in theory only.