Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Sep 2024, 20:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 06:31 

[quote]It kinda annoys me that after 3 months ATI still didn't give us bezel managment yet... come on.. how hard is it to do something like what Matrox did and just chop off some part of the display and shift the image over ?!

Note that we are not doing what Matrox do.

Please ignore this comment. You guys are going a good job. Keep it up. If people had even the slightest clue about what it took to build a graphics card and its software, they wouldn't make comments like these.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 06:36 

[quote][quote]It kinda annoys me that after 3 months ATI still didn't give us bezel managment yet... come on.. how hard is it to do something like what Matrox did and just chop off some part of the display and shift the image over ?!

Note that we are not doing what Matrox do.

Please ignore this comment. You guys are going a good job. Keep it up. If people had even the slightest clue about what it took to build a graphics card and its software, they wouldn't make comments like these.

:lol:

I think people are making comments like that because well there are still a lot of issues and people spent a lot of money on these cards. So we have all been there beta testers really. You don't buy your grandma an oxygen tank and find out it still has some kinks to work out do you? When you pay for something you would think everything is going to work how it should and how it is advertised out of the box.

It is one thing to know what goes into engineering a card and software but it is another to know when to release a product.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 13:04 
Editors
Editors

I wonder how Nvidia will handle their Surround mode.. my concern is:
- will it support win XP?
- will we have the Display Port adapter fiasco
- will it have Bezel managment
- apparently it already support SLI already...
(unless SLI is required for surround.. then we are more screwed then the ATI DP fiasco)

- I don't think it'll support XP. Vista and Windows 7 only is my guess.
- The CES demos used three DVI ports for three monitors, so hopefully no DisPort issues.
- No idea; possibly, possibly not. I'm sure if it doesn't at launch, it will eventually.
- It requires SLI to work, so... yeah.

As for those still commenting on ATi's lack of bezel management... exactly the same things were said before Matrox implemented bezel management of TH2Go. Except that with Matrox, there was actually less hope of getting it, as they were smaller, the market was smaller, gamers weren't the market focus of TH2Go... etc... etc...

Still, Matrox listened to the community, just as ATi are. As often as I complain about the size of modern drivers (150MB?!) writing drivers can't be fun at all. For a taste, go look at the source code for some linux stuff. Yeah.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 15:18 

ATI is not getting anything up the rear by Nvidias 3d vision :lol:
Have a look at what's comming in the next Cat
http://www.behardware.com/news/10636/catalyst-innovations-on-their-way.html

I have no problems with ATI working with third party's to achieve a better experience. And I'm thinking that it's a one card solution. :)

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 16:38 
Insiders
Insiders

(unless SLI is required for surround.. then we are more screwed then the ATI DP fiasco)

SLI is required for 3D surround.

I expect high prices and low availability.

I expect just the opposite. I just need the driver and I'm ready. I'm Tri-SLI GTX260. Of the people who used TH2G, many are nVidia based and multi-GPU, so the adoption rate at least around here will be a lot easier (if the drivers mature to a decent level). Just like with any new tech, I'm 100% sure we're going to be the beta testers. Don't think ATI is the only one that has growing pains.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 16:49 

I think people are making comments like that because well there are still a lot of issues and people spent a lot of money on these cards. So we have all been there beta testers really. You don't buy your grandma an oxygen tank and find out it still has some kinks to work out do you? When you pay for something you would think everything is going to work how it should and how it is advertised out of the box.

It is one thing to know what goes into engineering a card and software but it is another to know when to release a product.

It's not like your life depended on that 5870. Games are released with bugs and need patches. Video card manufacturers release new drivers on a regular base to improve performance and fix bugs. Early adopters of any new technology know that the trade-off for being the first ones to have it is to have to wait for issues to be corrected.

I always let others be the guinea pigs for me. That the advantage of having patience.
Like my grandmother used to say:"Good things come to those who wait."

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 17:06 

[quote]

SLI is required for 3D surround.

I expect high prices and low availability.

I expect just the opposite. I just need the driver and I'm ready. I'm Tri-SLI GTX260. Of the people who used TH2G, many are nVidia based and multi-GPU, so the adoption rate at least around here will be a lot easier (if the drivers mature to a decent level). Just like with any new tech, I'm 100% sure we're going to be the beta testers. Don't think ATI is the only one that has growing pains.

I was referring to the GF100 card. I hadn't realized when i wrote my comment that it would also work on 200 series cards. Damn my 8800 GTS 320 Mb!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 20:00 

ATI is not getting anything up the rear by Nvidias 3d vision :lol:
Have a look at what's comming in the next Cat
http://www.behardware.com/news/10636/catalyst-innovations-on-their-way.html

I have no problems with ATI working with third party's to achieve a better experience. And I'm thinking that it's a one card solution. :)

hmmm.. interesting..
it looks like ATI is getting into the 3D cream pie and Nvidia is getting into the Surround cream pie.

though I have to admit Nvidia have a lot more to gain going into surround than ATI going into 3D

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 21:18 

who the hell is behardware, and why would ati release documents to that website, its user base is extremely small, the chances of that website being a false website are high. http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/behardware.com take a look, its not in the top 100,000. Of course you never know, so maybe ati is just being, well, dumb by posting their info on different sites. And i doubt its a controlled leak.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 22:32 

I think that ATI is just being sly. They are sitting back to see how big this 3d thing may be. They have had 3d support for a long time but thru IZ3D and they have just showed their support for the Blu-ray 3d format. They have the wireless 3d glasses just like Nvidia but I think that it was more important to them to make a surround vision with one card at this point. If they can do what Nvidia 3d does but with one card, then they are one up.
Just my opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next