Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 09:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 20:28 

http://www.zdnetasia.com/nvidia-to-blame-for-many-early-vista-crashes-62039536.htm

Thats a little historical case with hard numbers. Marketshare normalization didn't affect the underlying results much.

PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 20:34 

I don't care about ATI vs. Nvidia (sorry Dave, but thats the truth) and I buy whatever product I like.

No need to apologise to me. Its my job to try and make a product you will like! :)

PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 20:34 
Editors
Editors

That doesn't piss me of. I really appreciate your opinion. Thats the reason for using forums - share opinions. I just wrote what I heard since in don't have experience with ATI for some years (last was a 9800Pro)

a) is this person a fanboy living in an alternative reality? Not in any way. I don't care about vendors and I never did.
b) is this person doing some guerilla marketing for a company? For what purpose? No.
c) is this person just parroting what they have heard? Indeed I did since I have no experience with recent ATIs. Maybe that was wrong.
d) is this person fustrated because they encountered a PEBKEC error or a driver error which was bad according to his/her usage. No, I want to find the best solution for a triplehead. Just this.

For me it was not meant as "a matter of fact" but more as a question to get more opinions. So you gave one and it seems to be very true. Thank you very much. :)

It was more ment towards when I read on forums people making such claims and you haven't been in that category. You are a good and productive forum member. I just needed a general vent towards the "this driver is better then that"! :)

I've had a rock stable setup with ATI 4870X2 for a year and then I got the 5870 which again is rock stable. But, you will never hear me say that ATI or Nvidia drivers are better (though you will hear me say that I prefer Nvidia's method with application detect profile in their control panel, then ATI's method with manual profiles in CCC) and similar.

When it comes to the best solution for TH, we don't know since Nvidia haven't delivered yet on this. Even after they release surround drivers, one solution might not be clearly better then the other and it might change back and forth. Maybe I am a bit careful about whats best and perhaps a bit too philosophical about it, but in my opinion, its not always whats best that its best for the user.

Even though I personally prefer IPS over other crystal matrices, it doesn't mean that IPS is best even in my own opinion for a user. There is the price -> benifit that might be stronger for me then for the user and its whats best for the user that matters regardless of my own preferences. :)

I don't care if people buy Nvidia, ATI, IPS, TN, Intel, AMD, TH2G, softTH as long as they are happy users. Perhaps if I buy stocks some day, I'll start caring... :twisted:

For now, I hope that Nvidia will stop screwing customers and deliver as advertised. We (WSGF) needs to get this section of the forum up and running! I'll keep you posted if I hear more news and preferably good news! :cheers

PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 20:43 
Editors
Editors

[quote]I don't care about ATI vs. Nvidia (sorry Dave, but thats the truth) and I buy whatever product I like.

No need to apologise to me. Its my job to try and make a product you will like! :)

I do like your products and have been very happy about the stability (except the GSODS due to bad powersupply) and I have appreciated that you took this seriously and sent the test results to the engineers!

But, I am and will always buy the products, not the vendors (unless I buy stocks) and I will choose product by product of whats available. :)

I am going multi-mon myself, but I am waiting for the suitable screens due to the wife factor of buying more and more screens (she calls Eyefinity Insanity and complains about me buying more computer shit, so I only get one shot at this a year maximum).

http://www.zdnetasia.com/nvidia-to-blame-for-many-early-vista-crashes-62039536.htm

Thats a little historical case with hard numbers. Marketshare normalization didn't affect the underlying results much.

Wasn't this a case of MS blaming Nvidia and Nvidia blaming MS, where who's to blame never got resolved?

PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 21:48 

Wasn't this a case of MS blaming Nvidia and Nvidia blaming MS, where who's to blame never got resolved?

That was actually based on hard data. Its based on the crash dump data that gets submitted back to MS when there has been a failure - this data never really becomes public, but was released through some litigation going on.

PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 22:21 
Editors
Editors

[quote]Wasn't this a case of MS blaming Nvidia and Nvidia blaming MS, where who's to blame never got resolved?

That was actually based on hard data. Its based on the crash dump data that gets submitted back to MS when there has been a failure - this data never really becomes public, but was released through some litigation going on.

Well, according to the link, Nvidia PR director Derek Perez did confirm that this was a driver issue, so I guess it was. :)

The important thing is that today, its possible to have rock stable systems with both ATI and Nvidia in windows xp, W7 and Vista.

Linux support on ATI, on the other hand, is not something I've had as much positive experience with though it seems to have improved the last year. Especially when it comes to legacy hardware, there has been problems (ATI 9200 on a laptop in Ubuntu 9.10 was a nightmare). There I have had better experience with Nvidia (7800GT on Ubuntu 9.10).

PostPosted: 14 May 2010, 22:12 
Editors
Editors

Finally some good news to report:
Nvidia has given a timeline and says the drivers will be released in the end of June. I know that many would have wanted it before and are probably disappointed, but at least there is an official time to relate to. :)

http://blogs.nvidia.com/ntersect/2010/05/3d-vision-surround-driver-launch-timeline.html

PostPosted: 15 May 2010, 01:23 
Editors
Editors

Excellent, thanks for the headsup :rockout

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 22:59 

Yeh! Ready for this! :rockout

PostPosted: 18 May 2010, 05:44 

Is it just me or is this forum biased towards ATI nowadays?

I would go ATI... If quadfire worked. If PhysX worked. If I didn't have to use a DisplayPort adapter.

Instead I'll probably invest in 4 x 480s...

I once had a 9600XT. It was awesome, when it worked. Replaced it with a 7600GS and got better stability and performance. In fact the card is still chugging along in the same PC. And no, not PEBKAC. I know what I'm doing...

What people fail to realise is that nvidia has been doing multimonitors + multigpu for much longer than ATI, just look at SLI Mosaic and Quadroplex. I'll bet that nvidia surround is basically a consumer version of those technologies.

Yes the drivers are taking a while, but it's better than them not working.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next